Just Wondering---Apple TV

kitty9

Yes AppleTV will work, as long as use HDMI. If you can't figure how to access the aux inputs, just use the TV HDMI (unplug the cable going into tv and use yours instead). I read a thread here someplace that detailed it out.

The ship also lends DVD player, so perhaps cabin steward could basically get a DVD cable ready and you plug apple tv in it to make it work simplest. Since they lend DVD players, there is absolutely a way to do it because the DVD player is plugging in to something...! But you may need some way to adapt the Apple TV HDMW down to the R-W-Y RCA-type cables....

And the other poster, you aren't planing on STREAMING are you, just plan on using wifi to connect your device to cabin device? Maybe airport express may be best....

No way the internet will be reliable to stream anything ... its painful to get email in and out sometimes.

I'm going to buy the wifi package and watch sky On my iPad movies sports etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That may be a financial and technical problem

Financial because the on board wi-fi runs $0.75/minute, or $45.00 an hour. There are discounts for purchasing blocks of time but it is still expensive:

• $0.75 cents a minute with no package.
  • In and Out Package - $24.95 for 38 minutes
  • In Touch Package - $49.95 for 90 minutes
  • Informed Package - $99.95 for 208 minutes
  • Interact Package - $199.95 for 555 minutes
  • Involved Package - $399.95 for 1666 minutes

Technical problem: The internet on board is extremely slow and it is highly unlikely you'd have enough bandwidth to download video. It often takes close to 10 minutes, or more, just to get into my web email, see what is in my inbox and read one or two messages.

As far as hooking up your Apple TV: Search through the boards for HDMI and you'll find some posts about trying to hook up to the TV. Bottom line is that HDMI ports are disabled for passenger access although a few people have found a way around this. Personally, I don't think it is appropriate to mess with equipment to circumvent their settings but that is just my opinion.

Getting around the disabled HDMI ports works sometimes, but more often doesn't work, according to reports posted on Cruise Critic and elsewhere. I wouldn't count on it.

And the thought of using an IPad to watch movies, sports, etc. on Sky tells me that the poster hasn't cruised much and doesn't know that this will be next to impossible to do, given the current state of wi-fi technology on board ships. Maybe someday, but not today.

I'm going to buy the wifi package and watch sky On my iPad movies sports etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry, but that won't work. The low bandwidth on cruise ships doesn't work for viewing TV from home. Not only that, but unless you plan on buying a few thousand minutes, which will cost thousand dollars, it's not worth it.

When we were crusing around Australia we had 3G Telstra coverage for a number of sea days. I remember running Skype over it on my mother in laws birthday as we went around the top end. So depending on the cruise there can be alternatives that are faster and cheaper than ship based wifi, if you have a local sim or good EU roaming agreement etc.

It would still be sporadic though and as I said totally cruise destination dependent.

HI Kitty9,

Yes! it is absolutely possible to hook up an Apple TV in your stateroom. Please see my response to a post I made this past spring.(link below) I am a bit of Video/Audio tech nerd and took it as a challenge last year because some were saying "TV is in Hotel Mode" can't be done... blah, blah, blah. So I packed up my Apple TV2, iPad, HDMI Cable, & Seagate wireless plus and took them with me. At the end of my post I particularly talk about the Apple TV.

Some good point are also made in that thread regarding network/wireless. If you also have that wonderful little product... Apple Airport Express that would also create a wireless network for you. No connection to the outside world but one for your Apple TV. You could give your wireless a name like "Celebrity Free Zone" people would see and think they discovered a gold mine. Evil I know!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=37957332&highlight=tv#post37957332

Regards,

Kevin Reid

We've tried disabling the celebrity tv set up to no avail ( they actually run on an apple tv platform) brighter minds may have prevailed... however, for our upcoming cruise we have our ipad along with our seagate wireless plus, anything you load on to the seagate will stream wirelessly on to your ipad, (had to do the pain in the behind upgrade to ios7 first,) this is going to enable DH to take a month long vacation, without the usual heavy laptop, for him, his pricesheets are loaded, for both of us, you can load a ton of movies. :)

you do not really want to watch TV all the time when you are in such exiting places you never have been to before, do you?

If someone wishes to spend his evenings in the cabin watching a movie, then that is a personal decision. It's probably not a good idea to assume that everyone should be happy doing the same things. People work hard to pay for a nice cruise... they should spend their time doing what they enjoy, not what others would enjoy. Some people have no interest in going to shows or sitting at a bar. There can also be other reasons why they need to be close to their cabin.

There was a thread on here a while back where a number of people attacked the OP for wanting to get the TV out of hotel mode so that he could play movies. It ended up coming out that there was a seriously handicapped person travelling with him who wasn't very mobile. The OP wanted to have the ability to keep that person entertained in the cabin. Perfectly understandable.

If someone wishes to spend his evenings in the cabin watching a movie, then that is a personal decision. It's probably not a good idea to assume that everyone should be happy doing the same things. People work hard to pay for a nice cruise... they should spend their time doing what they enjoy, not what others would enjoy. Some people have no interest in going to shows or sitting at a bar. There can also be other reasons why they need to be close to their cabin.

There was a thread on here a while back where a number of people attacked the OP for wanting to get the TV out of hotel mode so that he could play movies. It ended up coming out that there was a seriously handicapped person travelling with him who wasn't very mobile. The OP wanted to have the ability to keep that person entertained in the cabin. Perfectly understandable.

Having two kids under 13, the wife and I are quite looking forward to watching some matured themed R rated movies, that we've missed over the last decade, during our cruise. Oh butler! Bring me some popcorn, chocolate, and a bottle of red wine.

I am new to Celebrity. So am I to understand that Celebrity ships do not offer any tv programs for free (not including ship promo channels and outside bow views)?:confused:

Oh no! It has that, location on map, lots of tv channels, maybe 25-30? then on demand music and movie and tv shows too.

I was actually happy with the TV even on a 13 night TA crossing.

People want apple tv to watch their own things on the big TV or to use their iPhone/ipad wirelessly displayed on the tv.

Yes I have TV shows on IPAD as well as movies I plan on watching as well as looking at pictures on tv. My wife works a lot so we don't have time to just lay on the bed and watch TV.

I am going to Apple store this weekend to pick up a SD card adapter for the iPAD about 1/2 of people say they don't work on the Apple site so I don't want to waste my time buying if it won't work

Oh no! It has that, location on map, lots of tv channels, maybe 25-30? then on demand music and movie and tv shows too.

I was actually happy with the TV even on a 13 night TA crossing.

People want apple tv to watch their own things on the big TV or to use their iPhone/ipad wirelessly displayed on the tv.

Ok thanks! That's good to know. I know on other ships I have been on, we were able to watch tv programs and movies for free. I know that this time with being new to Celebrity, they were saying that movies would be extra. I just need some kind of nonsense tv to fall asleep too at night and if I take a nap during the day. Just the way I am. We usually will watch the live show or catch a movie in their "theaters". I think I read somewhere that the Infinity has a movie theater?

Archived