Tip for Butler and concierge on Dawn in PH suite

miss carolina

We are cruising 10/25/13 on NCL Dawn in a penthouse suite. I talked with NCL today for advice on tipping Butler and concierge. She said it is personal preference and would not offer advice. So basically we are looking for some help on this matter. Any advice on customary tip amounts, would be greatly appreciated. We will most likely not use either service in excess. Thanks so much!

Cathy

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

We were just on the Dawn (in a suite) and left tips for both our butler and our room steward. Since we didn't feel as though the concierge did anything out of the ordinary to assist us, we gave her share to our room steward.

It is personal preference. If your butler, concierge or steward go out of their way to make your cruise memorable, then leave what you feel is appropriate. There are numerous threads discussing how much and when to leave it. We left our gratuity on the last sea day by having guest services add it to our account.

You will enjoy the Dawn. Roel is the new concierge.

You'll find a wide range of opinions and practices. We (husband and wife) never ask anything special (no room service, no reservations made on our behalf) of the butler and concierge, so we typically tip each of them about $40 - 50 for the week, as long as they've been pleasant. We'll tip less if they aren't. Some people start off with a budget of about $10 per passenger per day for each, or about $140 for each for a week, but adjust up or down based on use of services and personality.

It's really just what you feel comfortable doing. We would tip more if we ever made special requests.

Edited by njhorseman

We are cruising 10/25/13 on NCL Dawn in a penthouse suite. I talked with NCL today for advice on tipping Butler and concierge. She said it is personal preference and would not offer advice. So basically we are looking for some help on this matter. Any advice on customary tip amounts, would be greatly appreciated. We will most likely not use either service in excess. Thanks so much!

Cathy

I can only tell you what I'm going to do on my cruise coming up in a couple weeks. I asked the same question and got answers from $50 a week to $500 a week for the butler. I finally decided on $10 per day per person for the butler, taking away for less than stellar service and adding if I request anything above and beyond (which I highly doubt). I'm still a little on the fence with regard to the concierge, because I pretty much do everything myself, but they still will be doing some services. I'm thinking of $5.00 per person per day, but this could change either up or down when I get on the ship.

Many will say what I'm considering is way too much and others will say it is not enough, but since tipping is very personal, I really don't care what others think. I really wish NCL would have a suggested amount, like some other lines have for the butler and concierge.

Hope this helps.

I read several posts before I decided to propose the question myself. I too wish NCL would offer some guidelines concerning this, because you are right the amounts are all over the place! I do realize it is personal preference and should be reflective of services requested and manner delivered. I feel confident now on amounts to consider! One idea I had read, was to include tip in a thank you note. So I am planning to bring some cards with me. This is our first time in a suite, and first time on NCL. I have always had extraordinary experiences on other cruise lines in just a standard cabin. Always beyond my expectations. Trying a suite because my birthday present from my "wonderful" husband! Thanks again to everyone for your assistance!

Cathy

I am of the group who budgets $10 pp (for a suite of 2, 3 or more would be reduced) for the butler and concierge. I also budget extra for our room steward and the servers in the suite venue for breakfast and lunch.

There are things the b & c should do for you in the cource of their job, then there are extras. A lot depends on YOUR needs ans wants as well as the accessibility of the b & c. On my last cruise I felt both were excellent. Monica, our concierge, made sure to catch us a few times a day and Teresa, our butler did a lot for us. My mom is diabetic and she brought us each a plate of sweets each day with mom's sugar free. Our steward was incredible too. We felt all three enhanced our vacation so much we tipped accordingly.

On a previous cruise, our butler was not good at all and our concierge, Karin G. Was fantastic. He received less, she received more.

I prefer to personally thank them and let them know how much I appreciated their care and professionalism when I give them their tip, much like I thank a special server in a restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We sailed in our first suite on NCL this year, and I also came to this forum seeking advice on tipping.

After my research though the search function, I found several threads on tipping. People have opinions that run the gamut.

We went with the recommendation of $10 per person, per day for the butler, and $5 per person, per day for the concierge.

We ended up making slight adjustments based on our actual on-board experience.

Any "guidelines" NCL could offer would be complained about by some, ignored by others and just feed the fuel for the flamers that complain about everything.

Since the butler and concierge are not included in the DSC and they are there for the convenience of the Suite passengers, why not start your tipping based on the cost of your suite?

A nice dinner out and you don't think twice about plunking down a $20 (or more) on a hundred dollar tab. Customary tipping for good service is around 15%-18%, so start there. Once you get onboard and experience how much your butler and concierge add to your cruise experience ( if you choose to let them), I believe your views on tipping them may change.

As for me, our family booked a SE on the Star last year and set aside 18% of the cruise fare for tipping our cabin staff, including the steward. I assumed we would make good use of the butler, since my wife is mobility limited but I had no idea that the concierge could be so useful. Assistance getting us on and off the ship quickly and easily. Dinner seating when the restaurant was full. Excursions at the last minute - and a host of other things that I simply can't recall right now. I too am a take charge person that can make his own reservations for dinner...but the right concierge get it done far better than I. Ask a question and have 3 or 4 options presented to you. Choose one and everything falls into place.

At the end of the cruise, I added a bit to the original 18% and felt that every dime given was worth it and then some. We'll be doing the same thing next year on the Dawn.

Here's wishing you smooth seas!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We sailed in our first suite on NCL this year, and I also came to this forum seeking advice on tipping.

After my research though the search function, I found several threads on tipping. People have opinions that run the gamut.

We went with the recommendation of $10 per person, per day for the butler, and $5 per person, per day for the concierge.

We ended up making slight adjustments based on our actual on-board experience.

This has worked very well for us for several years and plan to do the same in a few weeks. Everyone seems to be happy with the amount and we feels it is well deserved.

18% of the suite fare :eek: I tip very well usually more then the $10/$5 recommendation but with the cheapest suit on the Getaway TA just over $10,000 there is no way I will hand out $1800 in tips ;)

Just getting off the GV made me wince too :) I am another of the $10/day/person for the butler and $5/day/person concierge then adjust. Extra to steward depends on the steward.

We did this in the GV and everyone seemed genuinely pleased.

18% of the suite fare :eek: I tip very well usually more then the $10/$5 recommendation but with the cheapest suit on the Getaway TA just over $10,000 there is no way I will hand out $1800 in tips ;)

That one caught my eye as well! :eek:

Everyone is free to do as they please, but I personally don't consider what I'm paying for the cabin. On our recent 7 night Breakaway cruise we did tip our butler $100 (the most we've tipped on Celebrity or NCL) - but he set up a nice breakfast on our balcony on 4 mornings and brought some special snacks on a couple afternoons (at our request). There are people who tip more, and those who tip less. I believe he indicated that he had 12 cabins that he took care of. If everyone gave $100 he'd be doing pretty well - but there's no telling. Some likely stiff them entirely... :(

Tom

Just so I get this straight; when dining out at home, you're okay giving 15%-20% to a person that takes your food order, keeps your water glass full and makes sure you get dessert over the course of 60-90 minutes; but the people that pamper you, cater to your every need for 18+ hours a day, for a week or more, are worth about 2%...amazing!

Is it me? Am I crazy? These folks don't make much in the way of salaries, they have little or no life on the ship and they are away from their families for months at a time. They depend on tips for the vast majority of their income. True, they choose to do this, but what other options do they have? Far less than we do from what I have gathered during conversations with them. And we leave the ship feeling good if we slipped somebody a $20, a $50 or a $100?!?:cool:

And before any assumptions are made about me, my name is not Rockefeller or Gates, I work hard for what I earn, but I have absoutely no problem acknowledging those who provide me with service. When I plan a vacation; any vacation; land based or cruise, I always budget in something for the service staff. In a hotel, it's housekeeping, bellmen and valets along with the wait staff (tipped based on meal price) - and yes, I start the budgeting at 15% of the room charge for tipping the staff, so if it's $200/night, $30/night is budgeted for tips.

Climbing down off the soapbox now before someone knocks me off!!!

Just so I get this straight; when dining out at home, you're okay giving 15%-20% to a person that takes your food order, keeps your water glass full and makes sure you get dessert over the course of 60-90 minutes; but the people that pamper you, cater to your every need for 18+ hours a day, for a week or more, are worth about 2%...amazing!

Is it me? Am I crazy? These folks don't make much in the way of salaries, they have little or no life on the ship and they are away from their families for months at a time. They depend on tips for the vast majority of their income. True, they choose to do this, but what other options do they have? Far less than we do from what I have gathered during conversations with them. And we leave the ship feeling good if we slipped somebody a $20, a $50 or a $100?!?:cool:

And before any assumptions are made about me, my name is not Rockefeller or Gates, I work hard for what I earn, but I have absoutely no problem acknowledging those who provide me with service. When I plan a vacation; any vacation; land based or cruise, I always budget in something for the service staff. In a hotel, it's housekeeping, bellmen and valets along with the wait staff (tipped based on meal price) - and yes, I start the budgeting at 15% of the room charge for tipping the staff, so if it's $200/night, $30/night is budgeted for tips.

I don't fault you at all for the way you tip on cruises. Heck, if everyone followed that protocol - I'll bet we could even find Americans willing to put up with what ship staff have to deal with (hours, guests, etc...)!

I'd guess, however, that you are a true outlier in that regard - but someone has to be !! :)

Tom

I tip very well in a restaurant but I don't include the price of airfare and cab fare to get to the restaurant or the show tickets after diner into the calculation of the tip. $30 a night is reasonable including the DSC. $180 a night is not. That is what 18% of the cheapest suite on the Getaway TA translates to under your 18% model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I'm generally a good tipper and I went by the $10/day for the butler, 5/day for the concierge (per person). We also added $5/day for the room steward based on the fact that we leave $5/day in a regular hotel for that service, which doesn't include turndown, and which the housekeeper does not need to share with coworkers (maybe in some places they do.) So we felt the steward, who was excellent, deserved more (from us personally) than whatever share he would get from the overall ship pot divided with everybody else.

We didn't end up using the butler very much at all -- he brought us extra club soda for the room (and didn't charge us for it), and he delivered the snacks daily, as well as a pizza once. I'm sure he would have done whatever we asked, but we didn't really take too much advantage of the extra services.

We used the concierge (Virginia) even less, overall, but I was impressed with her professionalism, and the fact that she was visible, available, and always, always on the job. Considering it was her final two weeks before vacation, she could have spaced out a bit, but she didn't, not even that last morning. While we didn't use her more than a couple of times for reservations, it felt good having a "connection" with somebody that I was confident could deal with any possible thing that could crop up on board, instead of having to negotiate the ship hierarchy ourselves. I think that's the real value of a concierge - that you feel you're in good hands.

Rather than 18% of the suite fare, how about 18% of the difference between the mini-suite fare (when you do not have the services of a butler and concierge) and the cost of your suite??

Of course, this would work well for our next cruise as the suite price was less than a mini-suite lol

I tip very well in a restaurant but I don't include the price of airfare and cab fare to get to the restaurant or the show tickets after diner into the calculation of the tip. $30 a night is reasonable including the DSC. $180 a night is not. That is what 18% of the cheapest suite on the Getaway TA translates to under your 18% model

So do you tip the cabbie? How about the skycaps (if used)? The usher that seats you at the show? If you look at all the expenses involved in a "normal" night out, you'll find lots of areas to tip and I'm guessing it comes up to more than 18% minus the airfare unless you tip the flight attendants and flight crew! But a "normal" night out usually doesn't involve a flight.

My 18% model is just that, a model/guideline that I use as a starting point to determine tipping service personnel. As others have stated, it's a personal choice and I was just sharing mine as an alternative to the $5/$10 pp pd mentioned by others.

To each his own...

Smooth Seas and Calm Breezes!!!

Rather than 18% of the suite fare, how about 18% of the difference between the mini-suite fare (when you do not have the services of a butler and concierge) and the cost of your suite??

Of course, this would work well for our next cruise as the suite price was less than a mini-suite lol

Nice!!! :)

I'm not saying everyone should tip 18%, I'm simply offering it as a different option; another way of looking at the total cost of your cruise. When you plan for it up front, even $1,800 on a $10,000 cruise shouldn't be a big issue - and if it is...maybe a suite is the wrong choice.

Smooth Seas and Calm Breezes!

... When you plan for it up front, even $1,800 on a $10,000 cruise shouldn't be a big issue - and if it is...maybe a suite is the wrong choice.

People have different priorities. Ten grand is a chunk of change... saying that "if the extra couple grand is an issue" comes across perhaps differently than you intended.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

People have different priorities. Ten grand is a chunk of change... saying that "if the extra couple grand is an issue" comes across perhaps differently than you intended.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

The key word was "planning". If you plan for the tip, regardless of the amount, it shouldn't be an issue.

If dropping 10k on a cruise is a stretch, then save some $$$ and go with a mini or a balcony.

My point was to plan so it isn't an issue.

No offense intended.

The key word was "planning". If you plan for the tip, regardless of the amount, it shouldn't be an issue.

If dropping 10k on a cruise is a stretch, then save some $$$ and go with a mini or a balcony.

My point was to plan so it isn't an issue.

No offense intended.

No offense taken! :)

Tom

Nice!!! :)

I'm not saying everyone should tip 18%, I'm simply offering it as a different option; another way of looking at the total cost of your cruise. When you plan for it up front, even $1,800 on a $10,000 cruise shouldn't be a big issue - and if it is...maybe a suite is the wrong choice.

Smooth Seas and Calm Breezes!

$1800 in tips is not an issue it is just plain crazy for a solo cruiser in a low end suite and far more then anyone onboard expects. 1/2 that would be an exceptional tip.

I rarely answer this type of question because I have never seen anyone with a method similar to mine...until Walt724. Since it is always a guessing game and there are no set guidelines, I plan for 15% of whatever I paid for my penthouse (I have only sailed in ph and not anything higher). Who gets how much depends on the sailing but whatever the amount, it goes beyond just the butler and concierge to include the steward, Cagney's waitstaff, and specialty restaurant servers...and other onboard services. I do not use this method when staying in mini-suite or lower categories as I have a different one for that. I have no idea what I would do if ever sailed in haven or garden villa.

I think the most correct answer is for each cruiser to tip what they think the service was worth.

coka

I just want to chime in to say that I totally agree 100% with Walt724, and that he is not the sole outlier in this discussion. I couldn't make the argument any better than Walt724 did, so I won't even try. Needless to say, it just seems like common sense that when you plan/budget for any vacation, gratuities should be budgeted in as well. The service that one receives on an NCL cruise is (generally speaking) superb and the employees (and their families) depend on our tips. And yes, the price of a suite is expensive, but you get what you pay for.