MS Veendam Sailaway October 17, 2013

rafinmd

Well, I was working from the firehouse. About a third of the way through the Veendam's spin, I lost all internet. The Veendam is now beyond range of the Harbor entrance camera, and appears by ais to be dropping the pilot. I think it's fog, not dirt, but who knows for sure.

Rich, like you I have fond memories of the Veendam. Not the best ship, but one I would gladly return to. We may see her again in Port Canaveral on the 22nd, and then starting a big cruise on the 23rd. In the meantime, the real fun starts tomorrow in Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

I've been to Halifax, but don't know anything about the harbour - isn't the way in the same as the way out?

Looking at the map that can be accessed from the tabs along the top of the image (click on "Location"), the "Harbour Entrance" web cam that looks like it needs a good cleaning is further inside the harbour than the location of the pier the cruise ships dock at. Whether you can see them from it or not is debatable; would be nice if they cleaned the camera lens.

Well, I was working from the firehouse. About a third of the way through the Veendam's spin, I lost all internet. The Veendam is now beyond range of the Harbor entrance camera, and appears by ais to be dropping the pilot. I think it's fog, not dirt, but who knows for sure.

Rich, like you I have fond memories of the Veendam. Not the best ship, but one I would gladly return to. We may see her again in Port Canaveral on the 22nd, and then starting a big cruise on the 23rd. In the meantime, the real fun starts tomorrow in Ft. Lauderdale.

Roy

Thanks, Roy, for the reminder. I wondered where you seemed to disappear to during the sail away, now I know. I might have to take a ride over to PC to see Veendam on the 22nd. Maybe not the best ship but she has "character". :D

BTW, which did you consider the harbour entrance cam? The link you provided at the top doesn't yield a camera because you dropped the "l" in "html" at the end. I selected "Harbour Entrance" on the left side of the page to find the messy looking cam.

Archived