Price reduction, nothing I can do at this point?

allfloridagirl

Ugh, I knew it, our cruise for December just dropped significantly and I had to make final payment on Friday. I booked with a TA and assume there's nothing I can do at this point, correct? Wow, I could have spent that $300+ for my on board expenses. I knew by the fact that the ship looked only about 30% sold that I should have waited until final payment was due to book.

I guess I've learned a lesson.

Ugh, I knew it, our cruise for December just dropped significantly and I had to make final payment on Friday. I booked with a TA and assume there's nothing I can do at this point, correct? Wow, I could have spent that $300+ for my on board expenses. I knew by the fact that the ship looked only about 30% sold that I should have waited until final payment was due to book.

You can see if you can be upgraded. But, no, Princess isn't required to give you any refund or OBC after final payment.

I don't know about you but our TA has us make final payment about a week before it is really due just in case there's a snafu.

I would check with the TA ASAP to see if that's the case for you!!!

I have contacted my TA to see if there is anything that can be done but I really don't think so at this point. Fortunately, I've benefited from waiting to book within the 45 day window and have saved money doing so before. Sometimes you win some and lose some. On the bright side, I have a fantastic cabin and the cruise will be wonderful even though I didn't save the $300.

I have contacted my TA to see if there is anything that can be done but I really don't think so at this point. Fortunately, I've benefited from waiting to book within the 45 day window and have saved money doing so before. Sometimes you win some and lose some. On the bright side, I have a fantastic cabin and the cruise will be wonderful even though I didn't save the $300.

That's a big benefit of booking early (as long as Princess doesn't take away your cabin and "upgrade" you to one you didn't want). So, I guess it's a tradeoff. You get the cabin you want but have to pay a little more for it. I would pay a little more to get a satisfactory cabin rather than booking a guarantee or getting a "leftover." Have a great cruise!

That's a big benefit of booking early (as long as Princess doesn't take away your cabin and "upgrade" you to one you didn't want). So, I guess it's a tradeoff. You get the cabin you want but have to pay a little more for it. I would pay a little more to get a satisfactory cabin rather than booking a guarantee or getting a "leftover." Have a great cruise!

That's what I was thinking. My cabin wouldn't have been available if I waited until today to book, I already checked. My TA has marked my reservation as "no upgrades", so I'm pretty sure I won't get moved.

We booked a Nov. cruise via Princess very early. Well after final payment the price went down by $600. Called Princess and the rep lower our price and within 3 days a credit showed up on our credit card.

If the price goes down you must always ask for the lower price!

This is why it pays to wait with Princess until after final payment IF you're going on a regular, routine cruise and aren't picky about your cabin or location.

If the new pricing is for "new bookings only", you're up the creek on this one. If it isn't, then it's worth having your TA call Princess. Good luck! Either way, you're going on a cruise - try to keep that in mind! :)

Actually, there definitely is something you can do at this point: stop looking at prices. You paid what you were happy with, it's too late to get reductions, so why even open that barrel o' worms? You'll just make yourself crazy.

Even if you were happy with your original price do ask your TA to try for you I did after I had paid all up 4 weeks before the price dropped and she managed to get me a $300 reduction - which I would have been happy to get as obc - but they will send me a cheque in approx 6 weeks via the TA.

It never hurts to ask and if the TA does a lot with Princess they will probably be able to get you something (enough for a couple of bottles of wine):):);)

Edited by windsor26

We booked a Nov. cruise via Princess very early. Well after final payment the price went down by $600. Called Princess and the rep lower our price and within 3 days a credit showed up on our credit card.

If the price goes down you must always ask for the lower price!

I found a lower fair a few weeks after we made final payment (Oct 15 of this year). I called my travel agent, who called Princess. We ALSO received a total credit of $350 within 3 days. :)

I guess it all depends upon which way the wind is blowing....but it sure doesn't hurt to ask! :eek:

That's what I was thinking. My cabin wouldn't have been available if I waited until today to book, I already checked. My TA has marked my reservation as "no upgrades", so I'm pretty sure I won't get moved.

We always book the room we want for a good price. If we get lucky and are able to take advantage of a new deal, that's great, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes we just have to stop looking at the fares :(

Have a great time :)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Forums mobile app

Allflorida girl check with ur TA they xan call princess and get u a credit, My cruise 4 Nov dropped and I called my TA today and was credited the difference, Never be afraid 2 ask it's either yes or no. Go get ur money:)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Forums mobile app

Allflorida girl check with ur TA they xan call princess and get u a credit, My cruise 4 Nov dropped and I called my TA today and was credited the difference, Never be afraid 2 ask it's either yes or no. Go get ur money:)

That is good to know. I have emailed my TA but will call them today if I don't get an answer soon.

My DD had an inside booked on the Ruby Princess. Yesterday she saw prices for an aft balcony that was only $49 more than her inside cabin. Call TA and now will be sailing in the aft Cabin - her first balcony.

Very nice. I've got an aft balcony too. She's getting a really nice upgrade for her money. She'll never want to go back to an inside ever again.

• 3 weeks later...
allfloridagirl - after all of the advice we all gave you did you even try calling your TA for a price reduction?

Yes, I called and emailed my TA but didn't get a reply until today. They worked it out so that I could get the new discounted fare. Now I have an extra $360 to spend on board. Wahoo!!

Yes, I called and emailed my TA but didn't get a reply until today. They worked it out so that I could get the new discounted fare. Now I have an extra $360 to spend on board. Wahoo!!

YAY!!!!

This is why I love Cruise Critic!!! :D

Glad we could help.