Anyone been on the 11 day itinerary with Curacao and Aruba? How was it?

cruisecritiquer

Please tell all! I don't mean to post a redundant thread if there's one about this itinerary but I couldn't find one. :(

We've already put down a deposit for this but there are so many places we want to go, it's not exactly set in stone. I know for many a cruise is a cruise so a cruise to anywhere is great but if you have any information about this itinerary in particular, I'd be most thankful!

This one's on the Pearl which we've already sailed on a few times so we booked the same cabin as last time.

1377043_10151874340028046_1530652354_n.jpg

We did a similar itinerary on the Sun in February and went to both Aruba and Curacao and loved it. I just saw that my review is back on the first page so you can take a look - but I was pretty long winded.

In Aruba we went to Amsterdam Manor. It is a restaurant/bar on the beach and although you can rent chairs, by the time we go there they were all sold out so we sat in the bar. (There was a big volleyball tournament going on that day) They had a nice corner area where we sat and had drinks and snacks. We were able to swim and enjoy the beach as well so it worked out really well. When we were ready to leave, the guy at the bar called a cab for us.

In Curacao we just wandered around the town as we had never been there before.

We found the 11 day a really great itinerary with lots of time for R&R and sight seeing. In fact, we have booked the 11 day again for February - this time we go to Guadaloupe and Barbados instead of Cartegana and St. Martin. (And I have booked the Pearl for 2015 for the 11 day!)

Enjoy!

Aruba is a great place just to hang out on the beach. The whole island is only 8 miles by 5 miles. It transitions from the tourist area on one end to the locals area on the other. Almost like two different countries in some respects. The islands normal population is roughly 35,000 (when I was last there) and roughly doubles with the tourist seasons. There are larger grocery stores right across the street from the main beach areas if you need to stock up on some things mid-trip.

We did a similar cruise on HAL and loved Aruba and Curacao as both are fabulous islands. They are clean safe and truly worth seeing. If I had to live on an Island in the Caribbean both would be at the top of our list. :D Go for it!

Both have great beaches and clubs and we booked excursions at the dock and saved tons of money. In Curacao we booked a tour at the dock for $15 pp that did a complete island tour and a stop at the Curacao plant where a very unique orange liqueur is made that can not be sold in the US. The tour ended up at a private beach for a 2 hour beach stay. Both are Dutch Islands and most beaches are clothing optional so be warned if you take any young kids or teenagers with you. We also found great places for lunch while on shore too.

I did the same Sun 11 nighter in March. We loved it too. Curacao is just so cute. The colorful little buildings. Just great for walking around. We didn't go to the beach in either but heard Aruba had great beaches.

We did a similar itinerary on the Sun in February and went to both Aruba and Curacao and loved it. I just saw that my review is back on the first page so you can take a look - but I was pretty long winded.

In Aruba we went to Amsterdam Manor. It is a restaurant/bar on the beach and although you can rent chairs, by the time we go there they were all sold out so we sat in the bar. (There was a big volleyball tournament going on that day) They had a nice corner area where we sat and had drinks and snacks. We were able to swim and enjoy the beach as well so it worked out really well. When we were ready to leave, the guy at the bar called a cab for us.

In Curacao we just wandered around the town as we had never been there before.

We found the 11 day a really great itinerary with lots of time for R&R and sight seeing. In fact, we have booked the 11 day again for February - this time we go to Guadaloupe and Barbados instead of Cartegana and St. Martin. (And I have booked the Pearl for 2015 for the 11 day!)

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Aruba and Curacao are identical culturally and geologically. Specifically they have the same type of terrain, have Dutch influences and share the same native language of Papiamento.

Aruba though has beautiful white powder sand beaches on its leeward coast whereas Curacao's leeward beaches are mainly coral based. The large resorts in Curacao for the most part have man made beaches with imported sand. Windward coastlines are identical- rough and desolate.

I would make Aruba a beach day http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168 and take an island tour of Curacao. In that the islands are similar for the reasons mentioned previously, the tour of Curacao would give you a feel for both islands.

If you are divers or snorkelers, Curacao offers better visibility and more diversity so is better for either sport.

I have not done this specific NCL itinerary, but four of the ports on your cruise are my all-time favorites: Curacao, Aruba, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. To see you'll have them all in one itinerary makes me think I should be on NCL.com booking right now! :)

I have been eyeing this cruise too,having done the normal islands. For those who have been to the Aruba and Curaçao ,do you think a person in a wheelchair will have trouble navigating the towns

I found this thread. I don't know how helpful it will be. :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1661025

Thank you to everyone upthread for all the great information! I appreciate it. Keep it coming. :)

I feel like this was meant to be as DS has two non-holiday teacher work days while we are gone so we'll be gone for 11 days but he'll only miss 5 days of school. Totally awesome! I could not have booked this trip if it meant he'd miss more than a week of school. This is the first time I've booked a little over a year in advance. It sure is gonna seem like a long time LOL.

I have been eyeing this cruise too,having done the normal islands. For those who have been to the Aruba and Curaçao ,do you think a person in a wheelchair will have trouble navigating the towns

Not at all as the towns are located by the docks and are short walk from the ship. Mostly flat terrain too so go for it.

I have not done this specific NCL itinerary, but four of the ports on your cruise are my all-time favorites: Curacao, Aruba, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. To see you'll have them all in one itinerary makes me think I should be on NCL.com booking right now! :)

I agree... awesome itinerary. My 11 nighter on the Sun included the first 2 you mentioned but not the second, of which I have been to neither. Hmmm.

Archived