Thanksgiving cruise

Capt. & Teach

We had real, sliced turkey for Thanksgiving on Nieuw Amsterdam 2011. DH had white meat as requested and I had dark meat. We really enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal.

Last year we were on Westerdam and I'm not so sure it was real, sliced turkey. The particular serving of turkey I got was so tasty to me. Perhaps I just got a not so great serving though DH didn't really like his that much either.

I can't say for sure why they were so different but I can say we very much enjoy the Thanksgiving cruises. They are fun. :) I love seeing the generational family groups and enjoy seeing Grammie, with mom and dads and kids and grandkids..... For me, it's a pleasure to see. :)

We have been on quite a few different ships over Thanksgiving and I have made it a point to ask if the turkey was processed -- and I have been told on all ships -- yes -- it is processed. And it was processed on our 2010 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

There is only the main dining room and Lido that serves almost the same menu each evening. The Pinnacle Grill does not make a special Thanksgiving menu. And if you are on either the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Eurodam, the Tamarind also does not do a special Thanksgiving menu.

Up until the last time I ordered turkey, it was real. But that last time (think it was last January; could have been last June), it was not real and it was awful. I took one bite, and quit.

Sometimes the "roast of the day" in the Lido lunch is turkey, and when it is, it's real. You watch them carve it from the bird.

Up until the last time I ordered turkey, it was real. But that last time (think it was last January; could have been last June), it was not real and it was awful. I took one bite, and quit.

Sometimes the "roast of the day" in the Lido lunch is turkey, and when it is, it's real. You watch them carve it from the bird.

Ruth,

Seems you and we experienced the same thing.

I know for sure we had real turkey on Nieuw Amsterdam 2011 but not so sure 2012 on Westerdam for Thanksgiving.

Ruth,

Seems you and we experienced the same thing.

I know for sure we had real turkey on Nieuw Amsterdam 2011 but not so sure 2012 on Westerdam for Thanksgiving.

I certainly know the difference between real and processed turkey, and I know it was only recently that HAL switched from the former to the latter on my cruises. I always order turkey if I see it on the menu.

This is all part of the whole moving to cheaper cuts of meat that the line is going through. I hope there was enough feedback to the chefs that this little experiment is shown as a failure.

Spend the evening in the PG.

A great steak beats processed Turkey anytime.

We go plenty to Pinnacle but on Thanksgiving, my DH wants turkey...... like so many millions of us. :) It's Tradition, isn't it? :D

We go plenty to Pinnacle but on Thanksgiving, my DH wants turkey...... like so many millions of us. :) It's Tradition, isn't it? :D

Unless you are Italian , then you have to have lasagne. *LOL*

My birthday is November 25th , so Thanksgiving dinner has kind of become my family birthday party too seeing we are usually all together. You just have to have lasagne :)

Unless you are Italian , then you have to have lasagne. *LOL*

My birthday is November 25th , so Thanksgiving dinner has kind of become my family birthday party too seeing we are usually all together. You just have to have lasagne :)

........ sounds good to me. ;)

With a side of turkey. :D

My mother's birthday often fell on Thanksgiving Day and with the pies, we had a birthday cake. :)

My husbands's birthday is Christmas, December 25th. I try to make it special, and he has pointed out that it is already special to have your birthday on a day when most of the world is happy and peaceful.

I would just plan on making some turkey before and after the cruise. Yuck, processed turkey roll! Have something else that day onboard, and roast some yummy, healthy turkey at home. Or fry it, grill it, just do it......i love turkey:)

with dark and white meat. It tastes like turkey but no skin which I think is the best part. We have sailed for at least 8 years over Thanksgiving and haven't had a real roast turkey in at least 5 years. I would love to se it come back but they use a cryovac packaging so no waste, but not much taste either.

I would never order turkey on a Thanksgiving cruise when there is no way it would be as good as what I make at home. Actually I roast a turkey 4-5 times a year and have never understood why it is so stressful for so many to even contemplate doing. We would have our T'giving dinner after we got home.

I can't imagine the ship would cook anything but processed turkey rolls. With as much bone and waste there is on a whole turkey imagine how many whole turkeys would have to be roasted to feed 1000-2000 people assuming most pax would order it.

It may be traditional but if it is processed turkey, I'm with Typhoon, a great steak in the Pinnacle would better.

My point is it shouldn't be processed and it wasn't on Nieuw Amsterdam. On Westerdam, the following year, I am quite sure they switched from fresh, whole turkey to processed.

The thing to do if one wants a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving is to not sail a HAL ship if they are going to serve processed meat.

JMO...........

Archived