PBS Special: Secrets of the Tower of London

milolii

Thanks.....it was really good....

I had no idea that animals from foreign countries had been kept there for so many years....

Now I will look for all those unusual places when we are there next May....!!

I watched Hampton Court Palace last week and I think there is one on the Selfridge store next week.....all really well done.....

[ATTACH]291200[/ATTACH]

Thank you! I just read your post today, so I set it to record on Wed. night.

We just received our tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys today!😊

The Ceremony of the Keys is so cool. Our experience included rain. Somehow that added to the mystique.

I actually fell asleep durning the show! Too much shopping on Sunday.

Rowsby, glad you liked it. I watched the Hampton Court Special as well. I agree, very well done.

All of you that are going to London, you are in for a real treat.

Good Show including a tour of the Chief Yoeman Warder's living quarters.

I suspect the Ceremony of the Keys was filmed earlier in the day since it was in bright daylight, unlikely at 2200 Hours. The one I attended also did not have the soldiers in Bearskin Hats.;)

If you noticed the Trebuchet in the moat, they have demos at some times where they fling melons at targets set up in the moat.

Cheers

Edited by skisteamboat

I suspect the Ceremony of the Keys was filmed earlier in the day since it was in bright daylight, unlikely at 2200 Hours. The one I attended also did not have the soldiers in Bearskin Hats.;)

Cheers

Depends who is mounting the Queen's Guard that day - very often it will one of the Foot Guards, who would wear bearskins, but it could be the line infantry unit currently based in London District or a "guest" unit, who would of course wear their own uniform.

I have heard it said that there is an instruction from the monarch that no recording or photo can be made of the actual ceremony, which may be why they showed one in the daytime. The security aspect of that is a bit historic, given that anyone can apply to watch it nowadays, but just another part of the mystique ;)

We were only allowed to take pictures after the ceremony. Bob was our Yoeman. He was very funny. He said he was the one on the poster at Heathrow. DH and I got separated and he ended up following a second group that went to the pub. They told him quickly to get back to the tour! We had a good laugh.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In case your local station isn't showing it - ours apparently wasn't - you can watch it on your computer.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365105126/

When I clicked on the link, I first got a dialog box claiming I had to register before watching the program. I ignored the dialog box. After a couple of advertisements, the program began playing. At first, I felt that I was only watching a trailer, and I suspected I still needed to register to see the complete broadcast. However, I was able to watch the complete episode without registering. The show was interrupted several times for a series of ads, something we wouldn't deal with on a PBS station. Still, that was more desirable than paying On Demand fees.

Interesting program, but a bit hyped. "Interesting and little-known places" is a more accurate description than "secrets". Even with this criticism, the program was enjoyable and worth watching.