Has Anyone Used Stateroom TV to Review Digital Photos?

lvreader

I can't recall ever seeing this as a feature on Princess (maybe the Royal has it) but the Island had no interactive TV at all when last we cruised her.

Has anyone used the stateroom flat screen to display digital photos? HDMI or other cable? We will be on the Island this fall.

I had heard a rumor that the interface may have been disabled.

Thank you

I did not check the Royal Princess' TV close enough. Signal input is from a rather sophisticated (interactive) system which is anchored behind the TV which is bolted on the wall. There are very few buttons on the TV that user can play with. Channel change is performed by moving the cursor on screen. The remote has only several buttons, 4 arrows, on/off, mute, maybe a couple more. Royal Princess TV is not designed for hooking up other equipments.

Easiest way to review photos is with a laptop, netbook or tablet. I had no problem reviewing them on my iPad Mini and was also able to easily transfer photos taken by friends' cameras to my Mini.

I didn't examine the TV... heck, I barely turned it on... but since it's bolted flat against the wall, it would probably be very difficult to get to any inputs.

Has anyone used the stateroom flat screen to display digital photos?

I have heard people say they use the Internet Cafe machines to organize photos on USB flash drives / USB card readers. It doesn't involve Internet access so they can do it without logging in or using Internet Minutes.

Sounds feasible to me.

I know people used to use their HDMI cables to review their personally-taken pics on the older TVs, but haven't heard of anyone being able to do it with the new flat screen TVs.

For port-intensive cruises to new areas I've never been to before, I use my laptop because that way, I can organize each day into a folder by itself. It also helps making a Word doc with notes about where the photos were taken and what they're of, since I often forget what in the heck I saw or the story behind the pictures by the time I'm home. :cool:

I use a new media card for each day, also you can look into a geotagger for your SLR (I use a Solmeta on my nikon)

I know people used to use their HDMI cables to review their personally-taken pics on the older TVs, but haven't heard of anyone being able to do it with the new flat screen TVs.

For port-intensive cruises to new areas I've never been to before, I use my laptop because that way, I can organize each day into a folder by itself. It also helps making a Word doc with notes about where the photos were taken and what they're of, since I often forget what in the heck I saw or the story behind the pictures by the time I'm home. :cool:

:cool:

We'll be facing the same issue in two weeks on the Royal. I understood from some posts in the various "Live from..." threads that it was possible to use your own HDMI cable on the Royal's TVs, and from others that it wasn't, or couldn't figure out how. Assuming the Princess set top box is connected to the TV via HDMI and (big) if, Princess hasn't hard wired the connection right to the TV, then it may be possible to disconnect the TV connection and plug in your own input, depending on where the physical input is. There does seem to be pretty unanimous agreement that we don't have access to the INPUT control on the TV, so using the TV input may be the only way.

Royal Caribbean is the only Cruise Line that I am aware of that uses this new technology of viewing your onboard photos from the comfort of your cabin..as well as viewing most of your onboard activities..dining venues, reservations, etc.

Edited by Michael Kays

Royal Caribbean is the only Cruise Line that I am aware of that uses this new technology of viewing your onboard photos from the comfort of your cabin..as well as viewing most of your onboard activities..dining venues, reservations, etc.

We must be talking different things here. I'm only talking about connecting our DSLR's HDMI output to a TV's HDMI input, and using the TV in place of the camera's dinky little LCD to review the day's shoot. I do this all the time with my Canon 7D, and prefer it over using the tablet.

Problem may be, on the Royal, as others have pointed out, the TVs are bolted to the wall, so the two TVs in our Mini may not even have accessible inputs. That's why it will be great to hear from those who have just come off her.

Royal Caribbean is the only Cruise Line that I am aware of that uses this new technology of viewing your onboard photos from the comfort of your cabin..as well as viewing most of your onboard activities..dining venues, reservations, onboard account, etc.
On the Royal Princess (and soon on other Princess ships), you can review most of that on your smartphone (no reservations, however):

ImageUploadedByForums1383002464.028733.jpg.db65eca1324d3024c4439350e7aef849.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1383002481.162539.jpg.65f7fae9fdf18e36798099d7cefac63c.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1383002498.662064.jpg.f4f692cced7942fca15f50f0caeef888.jpg

We must be talking different things here. I'm only talking about connecting our DSLR's HDMI output to a TV's HDMI input, and using the TV in place of the camera's dinky little LCD to review the day's shoot. I do this all the time with my Canon 7D, and prefer it over using the tablet.

Problem may be, on the Royal, as others have pointed out, the TVs are bolted to the wall, so the two TVs in our Mini may not even have accessible inputs. That's why it will be great to hear from those who have just come off her.

I have posted a couple of times on other threads that I had no trouble disconnecting the ships input and connecting my iPad Mini or Nexus 7 via HDMI.

Has anyone used the stateroom flat screen to display digital photos? HDMI or other cable? We will be on the Island this fall.

Thank you

We brought an HDMI cable on the Island Princess for a New Year's cruise to watch movies via our laptop. That was 2011/2012. Unless things have changed, you should be able to look at your photos using an HDMI Cable. We were in a Mini-Suite.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

I have posted a couple of times on other threads that I had no trouble disconnecting the ships input and connecting my iPad Mini or Nexus 7 via HDMI.

On my last cruise on the Sapphire I connected my Ipad using an HDMI cable (to watch a movie) and an available HDMI input. No need to disconnect anything - just had to select the different input using the remote.

I have also connected my camera using HDMI in the past (can't recall which ship) to check out photos on the bigger screen.

The biggest difficulty is reaching the input. It requires a bit of contortion and a bit of luck.

Don

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 8 months later...

How long of an HDMI cable did you have? :confused: I'm assuming that you left your iPad on the counter & there's no other place to rest it because the TV is wall mounted- other than the floor. Besides that I need a power connection for my TV unit & I doubt if I can get to the AC outlet like on the other ships.

Thank you

Yes I use the stateroom TV to view my camera photos via the camera itself. ;)

How long of an HDMI cable did you have? :confused: I'm assuming that you left your iPad on the counter & there's no other place to rest it because the TV is wall mounted- other than the floor. Besides that I need a power connection for my TV unit & I doubt if I can get to the AC outlet like on the other ships.
I usually bring a 6 foot HDMI cable. I have an HDMI adapter for my iPad.