Solo Friendly Cruises - Price Primarily

BazAl

Heya,

I'm hoping to get some time of in January and I'm hoping to go on a cruise. Problem is, I'm gonna be all by myself...

From my understanding - solo cruisers are at a disadvantage for 2 reasons

1- Activities are primarily aimed at couples, or 2+

2- Cruise prices themselves go up from 1.5-1.9x the price

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any single friendly cruises (other than epic) - friendly (hopefully) in pricing then activities?

Ideas?

Thanks

Heya,

I'm hoping to get some time of in January and I'm hoping to go on a cruise. Problem is, I'm gonna be all by myself...

From my understanding - solo cruisers are at a disadvantage for 2 reasons

1- Activities are primarily aimed at couples, or 2+

2- Cruise prices themselves go up from 1.5-1.9x the price

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any single friendly cruises (other than epic) - friendly (hopefully) in pricing then activities?

Ideas?

Thanks

Most lines charge a single supplement. If you go on a "singles cruise" you still have to share a room with a total stranger unless you pay to get your own room. It's the way cruising is. Unless you go on the NCL Epic or shop around and find a sale like Carnival was having that didn't charge a supplement. But those were at certain ports on certain dates.

If you want to travel alone and not share a room with someone, then you will more than likely have to pay more. I look at is as a choice to have my privacy and have my own room.

As far as activities. What activities are you talking about that are aimed at couples? Only one that is really aimed at couples is the love and marriage on Carnival. I can't think of anything else that's couples only.

In my opinion, one of the best values for solo cruisers is Crystal - their supplements on every cruise are 25% for window cabins and 35% for balcony cabins, so there's no waiting for a sale on a cruise that you might or might not want to go on. They are almost all-inclusive (all drinks, all tips, all on-board activities except private lessons), and so for not too much more than the cost to sail on a mainstream line, you could sail on a luxury line with almost no crowds (very low density), wonderful service, and excellent food. Every voyage has Ambassador Hosts to dance with unaccompanied women too, if you're into dancing. The fact that it is a luxe line puts a lot of people off from looking at them, but if you crunch the numbers it often comes out to be a very good value.

As for activities, I don't know what you think is aimed primarily at couples......Crystal's activities include computer classes (especially photos and videos), language classes, bridge classes, wonderful lectures (2 or 3 a day), movies (cinema shows movies twice a day), trivia (teams of 4, I think), dance and golf classes, and probably some other ones I've forgotten. At least on sea days - I'm not sure what port days are like, but my only Crystal cruise so far has been one with 8 sea days.

Heres the list not sure what's still available.

This is for any category cabin

Carnival Imagination, 3-Nt Bahamas from Miami, 11/1, 11/15, 11/29/13

Carnival Inspiration, 3-Nt Ensenada from Los Angeles, 9/20, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/29/13

Carnival Sensation, 3-Nt Bahamas from Port Canaveral, 10/10, 10/31, 12/12/13

Carnival Ecstasy, 4-Nt Bahamas from Port Canaveral, 10/3, 10/31, 11/14, 12/12/13

Carnival Elation, 4-Nt Cozumel from New Orleans, 11/21/13

Carnival Fascination, 4-Nt Bahamas from Jacksonville, 11/21, 12/5/13

Carnival Inspiration, 4-Nt Catalina & Ensenada from Los Angeles, 10/7, 10/14, 10/28, 11/18, 12/9/13

Carnival Miracle, 4-Nt Catalina & Ensenada from Los Angeles, 10/2/13

Carnival Paradise, 4-Nt Cozumel from Tampa, 10/24, 11/21/13

Carnival Sensation, 4-Nt Bahamas from Port Canaveral, 11/10, 11/17, 12/8/13

Carnival Triumph, 4-Nt Cozumel from Galveston, 10/31/13

Carnival Ecstasy, 5-Nt Bahamas from Port Canaveral, 10/21, 10/26, 11/4, 11/9, 11/18/13

Carnival Elation, 5-Nt Western Caribbean from New Orleans, 10/14, 11/11, 11/30/13

Carnival Fantasy, 5-Nt Bahamas from Charleston, 11/14/13

Carnival Freedom, 5-Nt Western Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale, 12/9/13

Carnival Fascination, 5-Nt Bahamas from Jacksonville, 10/14, 10/19, 11/25, 11/30/13

Carnival Legend, 5-Nt Western Caribbean from Tampa, 10/21/13

Carnival Paradise, 5-Nt Western Caribbean from Tampa, 10/25, 11/30, 12/9/13

Carnival Victory, 5-Nt Exotic Eastern Caribbean from Miami, 11/25/13

Carnival Miracle, 5-Nt Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles, 10/13, 12/1/13

Carnival Fantasy, 5-Nt Exotic Eastern Caribbean from Charleston, 11/2/13

Carnival Valor, 7-Nt Southern Caribbean from San Juan, 12/8, 12/15/13

I understand rooms are limited. Contact whoever you contact to take advantage if you are interested.

In my opinion, one of the best values for solo cruisers is Crystal - their supplements on every cruise are 25% for window cabins and 35% for balcony cabins, so there's no waiting for a sale on a cruise that you might or might not want to go on. They are almost all-inclusive (all drinks, all tips, all on-board activities except private lessons), and so for not too much more than the cost to sail on a mainstream line, you could sail on a luxury line with almost no crowds (very low density), wonderful service, and excellent food. Every voyage has Ambassador Hosts to dance with unaccompanied women too, if you're into dancing. The fact that it is a luxe line puts a lot of people off from looking at them, but if you crunch the numbers it often comes out to be a very good value.

As for activities, I don't know what you think is aimed primarily at couples......Crystal's activities include computer classes (especially photos and videos), language classes, bridge classes, wonderful lectures (2 or 3 a day), movies (cinema shows movies twice a day), trivia (teams of 4, I think), dance and golf classes, and probably some other ones I've forgotten. At least on sea days - I'm not sure what port days are like, but my only Crystal cruise so far has been one with 8 sea days.

I want to support Calliopecruiser's message. While I no longer travel solo, I sailed several times without a partner and my experience on Crystal blew the others away. Neither the cruise line nor the passengers made me feel separate or apart from the group. In fact, they went out of their way to draw me in to their activities. Starting with the way they price their single supplement (125% of their regular fare) to providing special dining tables for their solo passengers to their plethora of activities, Crystal is the best cruise deal out there for singles.

My trip on Crystal, a transatlantic, cost me triple what my TA on Costa did, for an experience that wasn't much better overall. My Cunard TA's were also considerably cheaper, for about the same experience. In value-for-money, Crystal trails the pack, by far. (My travel agent was shocked by how small the cabins are when he saw the photos I brought back. That wasn't a concern to me, but he thought they were supposed to be something special.) Most posters seem to be very price-sensitive; I'm baffled by how anyone can claim $400/day is less than $150/day.

However, I'm not gay, I gather the more expensive ships do have a reputation for being more gay-friendly.

Most posters seem to be very price-sensitive; I'm baffled by how anyone can claim $400/day is less than $150/day.

Did someone claim that? I know I never said anything about the cost being "less", I specifically talked about the value. I'm glad you had great transatlantic cruises on those lines, but my personal experiences has been the opposite - Crystal was far and away better than my previous cruises in terms of experiences as well as the ship. More public space (i.e. less crowding), better food (some of it much, much better), and better service. To each his/her own - that's why there are so many different cruise lines out there. It would be a horrible thing if we all liked the same things in life.

What does gay-friendly have to do with solo cruising (even if your assertion is true)?

Here is what you do...when you start looking at the cruise line's websites (I have no use for TA's) don't look at price. When you do see a cruise that peaks your interest set the "number of guests" to "1" before you start price searching and that is the price. Don't worry about "if it is 2 people it is xxx per person or xxxx per person if it is 47 people" just make your decisions on what the price is for ONE person.

Here is the link to the CC thread for solo/single supplement bargains:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324

I stay in my own room, and I'm hoping to make my first truly solo cruise soon. Here's some tips from my research:

• Studios on the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway are priced for single occupancy, and they will likely be less expensive than staying in a regular inside. They're smaller than average inside rooms, but they've gotten great reviews. However, on certain sailings such as transatlantic sailings, the difference between staying solo in a Studio and staying solo in an inside might not be that significant, and again, you might value the increased space of the inside.
  • Costa also has single rooms, but they each have only one twin bed, as far as I can tell. On the other hand, each Norwegian Studio has a full/double bed.
  • At least some Carnival ships have 1A rooms, each with two twin beds that cannot be pushed together. In a lot of cases, they're oddly shaped, and at the end of the lowest deck. But, they are a relatively cheap way to get on board, even with a single supplement.
  • To offset the added cost of single occupancy, transatlantic and other repositioning cruises - for example, Dubai/India to Europe - can provide some great value, especially if you live near one of the ports and only need one, one-way plane ticket. Sometimes the cruise line can get a better price for these one-way flights than you can get on your own.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Good luck!

Edited by jlajr

• 2 weeks later...
My trip on Crystal, a transatlantic, cost me triple what my TA on Costa did, for an experience that wasn't much better overall. My Cunard TA's were also considerably cheaper, for about the same experience. In value-for-money, Crystal trails the pack, by far. (My travel agent was shocked by how small the cabins are when he saw the photos I brought back. That wasn't a concern to me, but he thought they were supposed to be something special.) Most posters seem to be very price-sensitive; I'm baffled by how anyone can claim $400/day is less than $150/day.

What baffles me more is is how you came up with your math. Since we are talking about solo travelers, I tried doing exactly what you said comparing Crystal's prices with a 25% supplement with other cruise lines (I took Oceania, Celebrity and even threw in Princess for good measure using their single supplements.) I searched for similar cruises and in different parts of the world (Panama Canal, TransAtlantic, Carribbean). Just on straight price alone the differrences were much closer than you suggest. Add to that the fact that those other lines add tips, liquor, beverages and a whole lot more that are all included with Crystal and the price differential begins to get even closer. Now compare the fact that Crystal is a 6 star rated ship compared to 4.5 to 5.5 and that their food, service, and amenities far exceed the others (at least according to Conde Nast, Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic) and it becomes much more a question of itinerary, size of vessel, type of passengers, number of children, etc. rather than as you suggest a clear difference in price. In case you doubt my comparison, Conde Nast did a comparison a couple of years ago of ships in different "classes" and found that the differences in prices were MUCH LESS than people thought because of all the differences in what was included as you stepped up in class. The one thing that sticks in my mind was a discussion of the average bar bill on Carnival. :eek:

Not precisely to the penny, but I added up invoice plus on board account and divided by days on board, excluding airfare, for an approximate ratio. Crystal may be six star in their mind, not in mine, for what they actually delivered. These were TA's at the same time of year, as close to comparing apples to apples as I could come. I don't use alcohol and have precious little sympathy for those who do. Conde Nast I have great suspicion they just regurgitate cruise line hype, I'd want to verify the numbers they used are what they would actually sell me a cabin for.

Crystal may be six star in their mind, not in mine, for what they actually delivered.

Yup - what we value and prioritize are different for everyone, so some might not consider what Crystal offers to be their definition of "luxury", or even better quality. One size never fits all. It's good that we don't all want the same things in life, or it would get pretty crowded.

I want to support Calliopecruiser's message. While I no longer travel solo, I sailed several times without a partner and my experience on Crystal blew the others away. Neither the cruise line nor the passengers made me feel separate or apart from the group. In fact, they went out of their way to draw me in to their activities. Starting with the way they price their single supplement (125% of their regular fare) to providing special dining tables for their solo passengers to their plethora of activities, Crystal is the best cruise deal out there for singles.

:D Although I havent sailed with Crystal,have with Seabourn on a Transatlantic with 0% supplement.

Dinner was made extra special with an invite to a different hosted table each evening.

Azamara Quest have also started a similar scheme & Azamara 125% supplements make them extremely competitive & good value.Have booked an 8 night coastal LA to LA in Feb

There is a 7 day out of Miami on the Glory January 26th for 354 for 1 person.

There is a 7 day out of New Orleans on the Sunshine January 5th for 394 for 1 person.

There is a 7 day out of Miami on the Liberty January 18th for 399 for 1 person.

There are a few more, but these are the best deals. There are also some shorter cruises.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Carnival has included some more sail dates in January that have no solo supplement. Just go to carnival website and pick 1 as number of passengers and search the month of January.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I just booked my first ever cruise on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean leaving 2 weeks today - no single supplement whatsoever! That was the selling point for me. I see that there are already a few other solo folks on our roll call. Got a great deal, so managed to splurge on a window as well! :)

After my cousin just backed out of my April Hawaiian cruise, I booked the NCL Getaway. Surprised the price was just slightly above the Epic studios since February is the maiden voyage of the Getaway. NCL treats solos the best: we love the studios, the lounge and it's amenities, and the solo gatherings. You can cruise Carnival for no supplements thus year, but in my humble opinion, choose the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway for a great solo experience!

• 1 month later...
After my cousin just backed out of my April Hawaiian cruise, I booked the NCL Getaway. Surprised the price was just slightly above the Epic studios since February is the maiden voyage of the Getaway. NCL treats solos the best: we love the studios, the lounge and it's amenities, and the solo gatherings. You can cruise Carnival for no supplements thus year, but in my humble opinion, choose the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway for a great solo experience!

HEY, I SECOND THAT! You and I were on the same cruise on the Epic and our group of new friends had a blast, especially that night when we ordered all the deserts on the menu in The Bistro :) I've been back to the Epic several times and am looking forward to the Breakaway and the Getaway.

Hey kits! I'm sailing the Getaway Easter week! Waiting in NOLA now, having just gotten off RCCL Serenade with a studio cabin. Will post a new thread comparison! Miss you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Looking forward to hearing about those! I'm off to the Carnival Magic from Galveston this week. It's been years since I've been on Carnival but with all the "no single supplement" opportunities I decided to try this one. I'm spending winters in New Mexico and it's an easy two day drive to Galveston. Then next month I'm off to Holland America for a round trip from San Diego to Lima.

I hope we'll find ourselves on the same cruise again one of these days!!

Have fun on the Getaway!!

Kitsapgirl.....

Here's what you get on RCCL for a studio[ATTACH]303909[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I just booked the Serenade studio for b2b (same itinerary) 7 day cruise from Stockholm for next June. So excited!! I've wanted to go to St Petersburg for ages. This will give me 4 days there.

BTW I loved the Carnival Magic out of Galveston!