Boarding time in San Juan

trkmas3122

Hi all!

We are taking the Summit January 2014 cruise out of San Juan.

From my past experiences, you board mid day and have enough time to walk around and what not.

Since this cruise does not depart until 8 or 830pm (cant remember which), what time do they allow you to board?

I have seen past threads talking about, its better to go to the buffet because of the late departure. Is this also true?

Thanks!!

Hi all!

We are taking the Summit January 2014 cruise out of San Juan.

From my past experiences, you board mid day and have enough time to walk around and what not.

Since this cruise does not depart until 8 or 830pm (cant remember which), what time do they allow you to board?

I have seen past threads talking about, its better to go to the buffet because of the late departure. Is this also true?

Thanks!!

I have sailed from San Juan on Summit several times over the years

and have boarded the ship between 11am and noon every cruise.

As for going to the buffet? It is always open for lunch on embarkation

day, if that is what you are referring to. For dinner? The main dining

room is always open for dinner....first night included. I prefer eating

in there:)

Hope you have a great cruise:)

If you go to the late seating dinner, you will miss the sail-away, which is very pretty with the old fort in the distance. If that is important to you, then go to the alternative dining for dinner. I think it's nice, but not nice enough to miss an MDR dinner IMHO. I think that may be what people are referring to.

Keep in mind that regardless of when you board, cabins will not be available until at least 1:00, often somewhat later. Until then you are stuck with your carry-ons. They also schedule the muster drill well before departure. Not sure what happens if you miss it if you have already checked in for the cruise, if you happen to be out and about in town.

It's been reported that the muster drill is at 7:45 pm and sail away at 8:30 pm. If you have early seating in the dining room you would eat at that time, which I believe is 6 pm. If you have late seating and you want to see sail away you have the option of skipping your dining time and eating in the buffet if you'd like. If you have Select seating you can decide what time you'd like to eat in the dining room and can make reservations online before you board if you like.

We are leaving on Summit in 2 weeks and have "Select", so have reservations for 6:15 pm in the dining room that night. That should give us enough time to enjoy dinner, make it to muster drill and view sail away from the deck.

We are doing a B2B out of San Juan at the end of February and also have Select Dining. We made reservations for both Saturday nights at 6:15 so we are done before muster. San Juan sailaway is by far our favorite. It is so pretty all lit up and going around by the forts.

Archived