New to Princess

Joy&TomSTL

Hi!

We just booked a short cruise on the Ruby Princess. The price was too good to pass up. Although not new to cruising, this will be our FIRST Princess. I am so looking forward to experiencing a new cruise line. We have sailed on Carnival (12 times) and NCL (1 time).

I would appreciate any tips, hints, and "don't miss" experiences. Such as attire in certain public venues, bars or restaurants that are a not to miss, tips on boarding and debarkation, etc).

Thanks!

Joy

Hi!

We just booked a short cruise on the Ruby Princess. The price was too good to pass up. Although not new to cruising, this will be our FIRST Princess. I am so looking forward to experiencing a new cruise line. We have sailed on Carnival (12 times) and NCL (1 time).

I would appreciate any tips, hints, and "don't miss" experiences. Such as attire in certain public venues, bars or restaurants that are a not to miss, tips on boarding and debarkation, etc).

Thanks!

Joy

My first six cruises were on Carnival, and when we tried out Princess, we continued on with them as it was like the slogan said, it was "where I belong." I haven't been on the Ruby, but I'm guessing it's much like the Golden (our last two cruises) in some ways.

Be sure to check out the International Cafe, which isn't an enclosed eatery, but display cases of yummy foods and desserts that's opened 24/7 in the Piazza (on some ships that's on Plaza deck midships in the grand atrium, so probably the same for the Ruby).

As for attire, you can wear shorts at any time, except if having dinner in a main dining room or specialty restaurant. The Princess website defines the dress code for smart casual and for formal nights. The dress code would be the same whether you have assigned (traditional) or flexible (anytime) dining and the menus will be the same for those options. The menus will be different every night and you can view these outside any dining room after lunch is over.

The Horizon Court is the buffet and is open from breakfast to maybe around midnight. The restriction on dress is no wet bathing suits (at least a cover up) and yes on shoes, sandals or flip flops. Some of the items from the MDR will be there and there should be a salad bar at lunch, dinner and between (we always get late traditional dining, but may stop for mid-afternoon nosh in the Horizon).

We also enjoy the poolside grill on the ships we've been on. Our teen loves the pizza that's at the pizzeria next to that grill.

Just a comment on the above post:

Many people new to Princess assume that the items in the International Cafe cost extra. They don't. If you want a fresh-brewed coffee or a specialty coffee then they do charge extra for those but the sandwiches, salads, deserts, etc. in the display case are included with the price of the cruise. Likewise the pizza, burgers, and soft serve ice cream on the Lido deck are included in the cost of your cruise.

You may be on our cruise...check out the roll call board. Do you like wine? If so, a very good tip is to try Vines. You purchase a glass of wine (or bottle if you prefer) and get a plate of sushi and tapas for no additional cost. If you prefer one of two of the selections they will give you more or less of whichever you prefer. It's a great place to sit and enjoy the entertainment in the piazza. Embarkation at Port Everglades is pretty smooth. Check out the Florida Departures Board to find out more. Have fun!

Boarding,

Arrive at the pier between 10:30 and 11:00. You will be checked in and sent to a waiting area. Around noon boarding begins with priority boarders, then general boarding. You should be on the ship by 12:30. Go directly to your cabin, no cabin call on Princess. Drop you carry on and set out to explore, eat or lounge. Bring the Princess Patter with you, it has all the activities and times listed. There will be a number no charge dining options available on boarding day and every day. One MDR should be open from noon to 1:30. Other options include the International Cafe on deck 5 a real favorite, and on the Lido deck the Trident grill, The Pizza and soft ice cream bar, and the Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe buffet. For the other days all dining times are listed in the Princess Patter. The Ruby has 4 pools the Terrace Pool on deck 14 aft, the Calypso Reef and Neptune's Reef Pools on the Lido deck mid ship and the Lotus Pool with steam and sauna on deck 16. Find you favorite spot.

Princess musters in the indoor lounges on deck 7 and not on the open decks. Your muster station is shown on your life jacket and on the inside of your stateroom door. Carry, don't wear your life jacket to the muster drill. You will be asked to put it on there. If you want a seat arrive 5 to 10 mins. early.

You're going to love it!

It has been a few years since our last PCL sailing and we've really been missing it. Having also sailed with Royal Caribbean (x4) and Carnival (x1), my heart still belongs to Princess. :p Can't wait to get back on board!

A few of my fave PCL things... fresh water pools, the adult only area, a poolside grill that serves great burgers and such, the pizza, self-serve laundry, a promenade deck that goes completely around the ship, and Anytime Dining.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just back from the Eastern Med off the Ruby Princess. She is a wonderful twin to the Crown Princess. The cruise was wonderful. Go find your Roll Call to see what is going on within that group. You may find private excursions, a meet and greet party, or other organized activities for those that check in. Go to Princess Roll Calls and select Ruby Princess then go find the date of your sailing to join the group. Read the board from the first to the last post to get a feeling for what is going on. On our Eastern Med cruise we had 160+ people registered with 130 confirmed for the M&G. We had Skywalkers Lounge for Private use for 1 hour, arranged thru Princess. Invitations to the ships officers brought 6 Officers, the Hotel Mater D' and the Dinning Room Mater D' plus the Cruise Director to round out the group. A lot of fun was had by all and some really nice private excursions were arranged. You will enjoy the cruise and have fun!

We like the afternoon tea to! At 4:00 every day, one of the dining rooms opens for tea. You are served white glove style, small sandwiches, scones with cream and jelly, and small sweets too. It lasts for only an hour. Wonderful way to spend some time!

Your best friend is Cruise Critic. Read everything you can and then ask questions. Everyone is very good at telling you what they like about the ship and what they like about Princess!

Enjoy your cruise!

We had a wonderful cruise on Ruby this August - she's a fantastic ship. One of our favourite spots was the Terrace pool at the back of deck 14. It is adults only and a lovely place to relax whilst looking out over the wake.

The Atrium is a great people watching spot either from the International Cafe, over a drink in Crooners or a glass of vino and tapas in Vines.

Don't forget to ask your cabin steward for a robe - we asked for larger sized ones and they were lovely thick fluffy ones used in the spa.

We bought the Ultimate Soda & More sticker and enjoyed lovely hot chocolate in the IC and some delicious mocktails all over the ship.

You will have a great cruise I'm sure.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Unlike Carnival, when you board a Princess ship all cabins are ready and you can go directly to your cabin. No need to pay extra to go to your cabin upon boarding. :)

Princess is active but more laid back than Carnival. It's more refined and "mature", less glitzy.

If it is a 4 day there will probably not be a formal night, we're looking forward to a 4day on the Ruby in December, the pool at the stern is nice -and quiet, the sanctuary is Very nice. When you walk by the IC, be sure to grab a few cookies - they're great. Mike in CT

One place that is often missed that you should try not to miss is Adagio. It's a very quiet lounge on Deck 16, right next door to Sabatini's, the Italian specialty restaurant. There's generally a small music group (a pianist or a duo or maybe trio) playing and attentive service -- because it's never crowded! This bar is the only place you can get a Citrus Bellini, which is a drink so good that I would cruise on a ship with an Adagio just to get one! Adagio is, in sum, a great place for pre- or post-dinner drinks.

And in the daytime, head up there and cut through, going outside through the far aft door. You'll find yourself on a lovely little terrace with wrought-iron tables and chairs and a fountain, overlooking the aft pool and with gorgeous views of the wake.

Can someone explain this for me, please? :confused:
On Carnival, you can pay extra for "Faster to the fun" so that you can go directly to your cabin upon boarding rather than go to the Lido and wait. On Princess, all cabins are cleaned and ready before embarkation begins so you can go right to your cabin and start your cruise.

At 2:00pm by the pool or in the Piazza they serve hot chocolate chip cookies and cold milk. My inner child smiled with delight.

Sail away view is great at the aft pool, the Terrace Pool.

They handle "anytime dining" better than some other lines. If you are willing to share a table of 6 or 8, you can usually be seated without a wait. We like to meet other passengers, so this works great.

Muster drill is civilized. You go to a public room where you can sit down in air conditioning. Your card is scanned to verify your attendance.

Someone mentioned afternoon tea. Another Princess event is Pub Lunch. Free lunch with traditional pub food such as; fish and chips, shepherd's pie, ploughman's lunch.

Coffee Card. You pay for this. You get 15 punches for fancy coffees of your choice. Plus, you can get free, fresh brewed regular coffee. This is next to the International Café, which has some fabulous food (shrimp salad). And, you can get a fresh made egg/cheese/ham on a English muffin sandwich. Great for busy port mornings.

I love Princess; but my one complaint is they have hard beds. So I usually bring my own mattress pad. You can request an egg crate.

Princess has many different flavors of ice cream. We just cruised NCL and it was always Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry...boring.

Have a wonderful time discovering what Princess has to offer.

We are thinking of a cruise on Ruby over Christmas. Any suggestions re which deck to book a cabin? Seems balconies are on sale right now, so would probably be going with a balcony.

Thanks for the help.

we like the Caribe deck balconies, the balcony is about 9' x 9' - 1/2 covered by the balcony above, instead of the usual 9' x 5,. we've been on Lido deck before, convenient to lots of activity - and food, but we like to be on a deck that has cabins above and below it - we like to be in an area between the elevators, instead of near the bow or stern, seems to be more convenient to get around the ship. We're booked on the 12/26 Ruby,

We also just had a Caribe deck cabin and loved the extra large balcony. We were sailing with friends and enjoyed opening our connecting door and having all that space. The cabin felt a little smaller, but did not spend much time there. You could be undercover or in the sun.

sueajp - Like the sounds of the connecting door. Is that the balcony only?

How am I able to determine which cabins have the connecting door? This would be ideal for us and my mom.

On the deck plans, the cabins with connecting doors have an arrow pointing in both directions and positioned through the "wall". Hard to describe, you'll probably know it when you see it.