Anyone get banned and allowed back

sea_u_onboard

Not naive, just logical. Cruise lines are lots of things but logical isn't one of them. :)

I disagree. We may not agree with their logic but these are enormous company's and decisions are not based on whimsy.

Instead of booking the whole group and then "waiting to see if it gets bumped out" why can't the young woman call Carnival and speak with a supervisor and get the information needed?

Perhaps because it would be "harder" to say no to a multiple cabin booking then some young woman on the phone.

Maybe I missing something here. She was a minor on the sailing that caused her to be banned. Okay, so far. As a minor she could not book a cabin without a adult also being in that cabin. Right, so far. This "adult" would have been responsible for her throughout the duration of the sailing. This "adult" also has not said anything about the ban either? Did this person not know what happened during the sailing?

Why, only now, is this young lady telling her dad about the ban? So, if a cruise on Carnival was not being planned, this same young lady would have kept this information to herself?

Sounds like there is more to this story than this young lady is telling her dad:(.

MARAPRINCE

But a family cruise , if she can't get on look at other lines.

The original post said that the reason that they were thinking about booking a carnival cruise because of Resident rate for texans. Just saying if you haven't looked at the prices of other cruise lines but the cost simply doesn't compare. Just saying.

We sailed the Gem a year ago and on the way back a group of four boys were led out by security. They were banned for life because of drugs (not weed). They agreed to a ban in lieu of having the cops called. I only know this because I used to work out with one of their mothers in the gym and she told me the whole story on the last sea day. It was definitely a mess and they were all provided paperwork indicating their lifetime ban. Up until that experience it had never occurred to me that lifetime bans existed.

We sailed the Gem a year ago and on the way back a group of four boys were led out by security. They were banned for life because of drugs (not weed). They agreed to a ban in lieu of having the cops called. I only know this because I used to work out with one of their mothers in the gym and she told me the whole story on the last sea day. It was definitely a mess and they were all provided paperwork indicating their lifetime ban. Up until that experience it had never occurred to me that lifetime bans existed.

Until this thread it never occurred to me that you can get banned for life but at least it beats the alternative jail.

I would call the dad and ask him to tell his daughter to call Carnival and see if she is still on the list. Either she hasn't told the whole story, and she may have misunderstood, or they may have said something like you are not welcome on Carnival and she took it to mean for life. Either way. I would definitely leave it to the 21 year old to resolve asap before everyone books.

if she got busted for drinking under 21 then she didn't break the law - she only broke the rules of the ship. so its a matter for the cruiseline to review and decide if they will enforce the ban or let her on.

if she was doing drugs then that's illegal and would probably be dealt with more severely.

lets hope she was being honest about the ban being for drinking.

lets face it - if someone is 20 and goes on a cruise its ok. if they get off at a port and get steaming drunk then return to the ship - what are the crew going to do - stop them getting on? so they can be drunk on a ship - just not get drunk on a ship...

Its the law in the USA about serving under 21's.. on the ship - its just a rule as the ship isn't in US waters or other draconian dictatorships like Burma or Oman...

No matter where the ship is she wouldn't be able to drink under 21, US waters or not.

But correct, can't control what she does in port.

if she got busted for drinking under 21 then she didn't break the law - she only broke the rules of the ship. so its a matter for the cruiseline to review and decide if they will enforce the ban or let her on.

if she was doing drugs then that's illegal and would probably be dealt with more severely.

lets hope she was being honest about the ban being for drinking.

lets face it - if someone is 20 and goes on a cruise its ok. if they get off at a port and get steaming drunk then return to the ship - what are the crew going to do - stop them getting on? so they can be drunk on a ship - just not get drunk on a ship...

Its the law in the USA about serving under 21's.. on the ship - its just a rule as the ship isn't in US waters or other draconian dictatorships like Burma or Oman...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was Royal, I found it when looking for banned stories.

The couple did seem as if they were trying to scam the system.

Sorry but complaining about a cruise in Alaska where your cabin is overrun by sewage due to a stopped up toilet does not seem like a bogus complaint. Would you want to sleep with your balcony door open in 40 degree weather because they cannot get rid of the stench? I certainly would not. It would be one thing if they were complaining about something subjective but sewage flowing allover a stateroom is really a valid complaint in most peoples' books. It is unhealthy!!!

Edited by tootsiescurly

I have been working with the same person at carnival for 10 years and they are very knowledgable and have many contacts up the latter. He had me on hold for quite some time before he came back to tell me that the list is not disclosed. He said book the cabins and IF it does pop (because we don't know if she is really on the list) he can deal with it at that point.

I agree that if they see 5 cabins booked and it was a minor offensive (or just a warning) they will probably allow the bookings.

I emailed my friend this morning to see if he booked but no response yet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Good luck...hope it works out for ya's....

Sorry but complaining about a cruise in Alaska where your cabin is overrun by sewage due to a stopped up toilet does not seem like a bogus complaint. Would you want to sleep with your balcony door open in 40 degree weather because they cannot get rid of the stench? I certainly would not. It would be one thing if they were complaining about something subjective but sewage flowing allover a stateroom is really a valid complaint in most peoples' books. It is unhealthy!!!

It has been a while since I've read the Moran stories but there was much more to it than that. If that were it then I think everyone would agree with the complaint. IIRC the Moran's were incessant complainers demanding compensation for the smallest of things and were also very vocal about it in public forums like Cruise Critic. Eventually RCL recognized that you just can't please some people and that some passengers are so high maintenance that it isn't worth trying to keep them around, so they banned them.

It would be interesting to know how a cruise line keeps track of "banned for life" individuals.

There are thousands of "Jane Smith"'s or "John Smith"'s. And if a banned one used a birth certificate for a cruise on which they were banned....and then got a passport....how would a cruise line identify them without a major violation of privacy rules? (or vice versa)

If it were as draconian as the "no fly" list that the TSA has, there would be a HUGE outcry by the Jane or John Smith's of the world!!!

No matter where the ship is she wouldn't be able to drink under 21, US waters or not.

But correct, can't control what she does in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

True for US waters, but not foreign ports. For example, Costa's drinking age is 18 and RCI lowers the drinking age to 18 pretty much everywhere but North America. It also wasn't that long ago that the cruise lines would serve 18 year olds beer and wine with parental consent.

Most of these changes seem to have occurred when the changed the minimum age to book a cabin.

Several people have asked questions that I just can't answer.

Facts: She was under 21 - not a minor in the eyes of the law but couldn't book a cabin by herself. She went with a group of people. Obviously one of them was "responsible" for her. Whether they were made aware of what happen ??? Whether she got paperwork ??? Did she throw the paperwork away? Since she was over 18 I doubt Carnival would have sent anything to her parents.

The reason he is JUST finding out is because he was excited to tell the family he was taking all of them on vacation and letting them take a friend. She had to "confess". She probably didn't think she would ever have to tell him.

No, he won't go without her.

IF he decides to book and Carnival cancels, then YES, he plans to check other cruise lines. He doesn't want to fly so Texas and Louisiana is his best bet. Princess has started going out of Houston but will cost about twice as much.

The person trying to book is a co-worker. I have suggested many things. I guess if he really wants to go he will have her call or he will just book. I wasn't at work Friday - so I don't know if he's booked.

Drinking on the ship is not under the control of US law - it is a cruise line requirement. Other ships have allowed drinking under 21 with permission of the parents. Once a ship leaves the US it is up to them what they want to do.

Did she get busted for something else? Who knows? Will they tell her dad exactly why she is banned if they cancel the cabins? I don't know.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Several people have asked questions that I just can't answer.

Facts: She was under 21 - not a minor in the eyes of the law but couldn't book a cabin by herself. She went with a group of people. Obviously one of them was "responsible" for her. Whether they were made aware of what happen ??? Whether she got paperwork ??? Did she throw the paperwork away? Since she was over 18 I doubt Carnival would have sent anything to her parents.

The reason he is JUST finding out is because he was excited to tell the family he was taking all of them on vacation and letting them take a friend. She had to "confess". She probably didn't think she would ever have to tell him.

No, he won't go without her.

IF he decides to book and Carnival cancels, then YES, he plans to check other cruise lines. He doesn't want to fly so Texas and Louisiana is his best bet. Princess has started going out of Houston but will cost about twice as much.

The person trying to book is a co-worker. I have suggested many things. I guess if he really wants to go he will have her call or he will just book. I wasn't at work Friday - so I don't know if he's booked.

Drinking on the ship is not under the control of US law - it is a cruise line requirement. Other ships have allowed drinking under 21 with permission of the parents. Once a ship leaves the US it is up to them what they want to do.

Did she get busted for something else? Who knows? Will they tell her dad exactly why she is banned if they cancel the cabins? I don't know.

I'll let you know what I find out.

NCL and RCI have cruises out of New Orleans.

Apparently she is not an adult with Carnival since she can not book a cabin/ nor drink anywhere at the age of 20. It would seem as if her emergency contact would be notified.................but you know Carnival and their rules, not consistant.

This is absurd and seems to be just a way to jab Carnival. Has nothing to do with being an adult, and everything to do with the rules set by Carnival.

In the US you are not allowed to consume or purchase booze at the age of 20. But at 18 you can give your life to fight a war. If you are caught at the age of 20 drinking in the US, they are not going to contact the parents as the 20 year old is an adult.

Type in "banned from carnival cruise line" in your search engine and read the stories!! One woman & her husband have been banned for life for suing the contract art seller; another was banned because CCL claimed he scratched a dresser...and it goes on and on....

Truthfully, there are only about 2 or 3 stories with dozens of sites talking about the same story.

Edited by Out to sea!