CRUISE CRITIC door signs?

myheart53

We recently started putting a magnet on our door. Something simple, no bigger than a greeting card and definitely not with our names. It has been fun, and it helps us find our room.

For our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise I have a cute turkey magnet and for Christmas I have a Christmas tree - again they are small. You can find neat things from the $1 bins at Target, or the Dollar Store. Nothing anyone would want to steal and it only cost $1 even if they did - although it has never happened.

I guess there is a real mix of feelings about security onboard a ship. I fail to see the big deal posting a Cruise Critic sign with your name on your door.

Take a look at the roll calls... I see many people posting their names, city, and room numbers there.

Be safe....

Mr. N.W. Guy, For some reason the copy of posts does not seem to be working for me, however I'm commenting on your post:

"I guess there is a real mix of feelings about security onboard a ship. I fail to see the big deal posting a Cruise Critic sign with your name on your door.

Take a look at the roll calls... I see many people posting their names, city, and room numbers there.

Be safe...."

I've only rarely seen anyone post their last names, &/or cabin Numbers.. In addition the Cruise Critic Guidelines specifically warn against posting Last Names, city & cabin numbers on-line.. IMO if anyone does this they are asking for trouble!

To Quote the guidelines: "Guard your Personal Information Carefully"

"It is best not to post your real name, address or phone number publicly on the boards. Also, keeping as much information about yourself private should be your first priority. Think carefully before posting too much other personal data on any public message board forum, such as your stateroom number or your real name, city, state and dates of cruising!

If we come across a posting that contains too much personal information, we will remove it automatically. It is, however, *your* responsibility to keep your personal information safe. If you see too much information on the boards, please use the Report a Post feature, or write to boards@cruisecritic.com with a LINK to the specific posting/thread." Unquote

Betty

We're talking about maintaining privacy, and in that context someone posts they have made a list including what hotels people are staying at? :eek:

Sort of makes the point, doesn't it.

It certainly does ;)

It's never a good idea - even in a perfect world, which CC is not - to advertise your cabin number. There are people who make a point of stalking and harassing in the internet world, and here is no exception. They think it's fun to do, and evidently don't have enough of a real life. But the end result is - don't trust anyone (how sad) and never disclose your cabin number, even - and especially - on roll calls.

We recently started putting a magnet on our door. Something simple, no bigger than a greeting card and definitely not with our names. It has been fun, and it helps us find our room.

For our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise I have a cute turkey magnet and for Christmas I have a Christmas tree - again they are small. You can find neat things from the $1 bins at Target, or the Dollar Store. Nothing anyone would want to steal and it only cost $1 even if they did - although it has never happened.

Last year I bought two Happy Thanksgiving signs from the Dollar Store for our cabin and for our son and his wife's cabin. I was surprised to find that someone took one of the signs and put it on their cabin door (on the port side while we were on the starboard side). I don't know if they meant it to be a prank or if they just decided to "take it". Although I generally have a great sense of humor, I wasn't that amused by this. :)

Last year I bought two Happy Thanksgiving signs from the Dollar Store for our cabin and for our son and his wife's cabin. I was surprised to find that someone took one of the signs and put it on their cabin door (on the port side while we were on the starboard side). I don't know if they meant it to be a prank or if they just decided to "take it". Although I generally have a great sense of humor, I wasn't that amused by this. :)

That's shameless nerve!

Did you take it back or knock on their door & thank them for helping you find your sign..:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think that's what I would do, but not alone..I would take DH & my Friends DH with me..

I put a pic up of my dog for Christmas with a Santa & misletoe in the photo & at the bottom it says "Joy to the world" There is no disputing that the sign is ours since we also keep a picture of our dog in our cabin too..LOL

If you have a pet you could do the same thing with your pets pic or even a Grandchilds pic for Thanksgiving..

I have to make up a Thanksgiving picture for our next cruise..

I don't know if they meant it to be a prank or if they just decided to "take it". Although I generally have a great sense of humor, I wasn't that amused by this. :)
Were they marked in some way that you are sure they were yours, and not ones they bought in their dollar store? It would really take a lot of nerve to display recently stolen property.

I think I might have knocked and said "I like your sign ... where did you get it?" just to see what the response was. :p

Edited by jtl513

Were they marked in some way that you are sure they were yours, and not ones they bought in their dollar store? It would really take a lot of nerve to display recently stolen property.

I think I might have knocked and said "I like your sign ... where did you get it?" just to see what the response was. :p

That would have been interesting! :)

The signs weren't marked, but we had gone down that hallway several times and no sign was on the door until ours disappeared! It isn't a huge deal but it annoyed me a little. When I reclaimed it, I put it on the mirror in our room instead of putting it back on the door!

That's shameless nerve!

Did you take it back or knock on their door & thank them for helping you find your sign..:rolleyes::rolleyes: I think that's what I would do, but not alone..I would take DH & my Friends DH with me..

I put a pic up of my dog for Christmas with a Santa & misletoe in the photo & at the bottom it says "Joy to the world" There is no disputing that the sign is ours since we also keep a picture of our dog in our cabin too..LOL

If you have a pet you could do the same thing with your pets pic or even a Grandchilds pic for Thanksgiving..

I have to make up a Thanksgiving picture for our next cruise..

Thanking them for finding my sign would have been fun!

Maybe some passing kids took it from your door and put it on another?

I sure do appreciate everyone letting me know there thoughts on this. I have decided we will not put anything on our door. As far as giving out our room numbers on here, I have already emailed our Meet and Greet organizer with the requested information for the room number so that HAL can send us a reminder.

So with that said, I will enjoy my cruise without a door sign. :)

It is sad that people will steal your signs off your door.

Thank you again for all the responses.

The signs weren't marked, but we had gone down that hallway several times and no sign was on the door until ours disappeared! It isn't a huge deal but it annoyed me a little. When I reclaimed it, I put it on the mirror in our room instead of putting it back on the door!

So, you had no proof that this was yours but took it anyway. Maybe that's the thought process that led to the disappearance of the book I was reading and left on my chair poolside when I went to fetch a drink. Perhaps some other passenger couldn't find her copy, assumed that I had taken it and "reclaimed it".

Pretty slippery slope I'd say.