Having Second Thoughts...

africanviolet

The head waiter always tries to seat people together that are single as long as they are in the same age range. If you're a 25 year old single, they will NOT seat you with a 75 year old single, since you would have nothing in common.

If there were no other singles around your age group, they would try to seat you with other passengers that are near your age, even if they are married.

They usually try to avoid seating singles with families.

I beg to differ. I've done numerous cruises on various cruiselines solo, and have come to realize it's luck of the draw whom you have dinner with. I've been seated with families, other singles, a mix of various folks, and once at a table occupied entirely by individuals who only spoke French. :eek:

I mention this so that new solo cruisers don't fall under the impression that all head waiters/matre d's go out of their way to seat you with other solos/singles in your age group or otherwise. They don't, and that's why one needs to be proactive to assure compatible dinner mates.

Tony

Edited by tgmtgm

I would agree with Tony, I think it will vary by line, but my experience has been similar to his. With the ATD, they usually just seat you at the next available table on most lines that I have been on. I travel solo but have been seated with other solos, families with small children, and couples, so I think it might be more luck of the draw than anything. With fixed dining I do think they do try to do a better job trying to match up diners.

Carnival has good solo rates? I thought they stop doing that a few years ago? Last I looked, you had to pay double the rates for ANY cabins.

Did I miss a change in policy with Carnival?

They do have good single rates on certain sailings. You do not have to pay the double occupancy rate. Here's the listing:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/Sales/SingleOccupancy.ashx

I'm an experienced cruiser, but I'm now having second thoughts that I can go through with cruising alone. I would hope that I meet others on the cruise that I could dine with, etc. but that's no guarantee. Carnival's solo rates are very good and I need to be on a beach but I'm thinking about canceling and rescheduling for next year when someone else could go. Also, there will be a newer ship (the Liberty) doing the same itinerary next year.

I purchased the insurance so I would get 75% back as a credit. Any advice is appreciated.

Maybe you are under the assumption that solos dine alone or you have to find people to dine with? That is not the case. If you request a large table in the traditional fixed dining room you will be seated with others by the Maitre'd. If you request a table of 8 you should have 7 others to dine with so I don't understand your concerns. Did you travel agent not ask you about your dining preference? If you booked directly with Carnival then call them and discuss your dining preference. You will only dine alone if you so request to. Sure, these will be stranger at first, but after a week of dining together maybe you'll have 7 new friends. After 30+ cruise (most going solo myself) I've rarely dined alone and have met some wonderful people. Dining is a very social event and many people enjoy dining with new interesting people. If you find your table companions incompatible then speak with the Maitre'd after dinner and request a table change. This is never a problem. If you prefer to dining with other solos then speak to the Maitre'd upon embarkation although I think you try to group most solos together when assigning tables. They try hard to accommodate most requests.

I can't tell you whether you should go or not, but if you do decide to go then go with a positive attitude and a smile; you can pretty much ensure yourself a positive cruise experience. Cruises are not just for couple or families. They are for everyone including solos. I know it's sort of scary going by yourself and that is normal, but not practical. As far as reviews - take most of them with a grain of salt. You and only you can determine if a cruise meets your expectations. I've yet gone on a cruise that I didn't enjoy.

I beg to differ. I've done numerous cruises on various cruiselines solo, and have come to realize it's luck of the draw whom you have dinner with. I've been seated with families, other singles, a mix of various folks, and once at a table occupied entirely by individuals who only spoke French. :eek:

I mention this so that new solo cruisers don't fall under the impression that all head waiters/matre d's go out of their way to seat you with other solos/singles in your age group or otherwise. They don't, and that's why one needs to be proactive to assure compatible dinner mates.

Tony

Sorry to hear that Tony ... I can only go based on my solo cruises and I have always been seated with either singles or others around my age. Maybe it depends on the cruise line. Most of mine have been on Carnival. My last was on Royal Caribbean and I was also seated in a similar way. Maybe I'm just lucky :p

They do have good single rates on certain sailings. You do not have to pay the double occupancy rate. Here's the listing:

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/Sales/SingleOccupancy.ashx

Thanks! It's good to know. I enjoy cruising on Carnival since its a good mix of people. My last cruise was RC which offered a single supplement. Guess I'll have to check out Carnival again :p

Only thing is ... the list is for cruises this year. Hopefully, they will put together a new list for 2014 cruises!

Edited by funone2

• 2 weeks later...
I'm an experienced cruiser, but I'm now having second thoughts that I can go through with cruising alone. I would hope that I meet others on the cruise that I could dine with, etc. but that's no guarantee. Carnival's solo rates are very good and I need to be on a beach but I'm thinking about canceling and rescheduling for next year when someone else could go. Also, there will be a newer ship (the Liberty) doing the same itinerary next year.

I purchased the insurance so I would get 75% back as a credit. Any advice is appreciated.

I agree with everyone else here that you should go for it. I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm an extrovert, but if you say, "hi, how are you enjoying this cruise" to someone who appears to be alone, what's the worst that can happen? If you have to force yourself to have this adventure, then do it. I'm traveling in January on the Carnival Splendor with my 18 year old daughter and her friend. I'll be virtually alone and know I'll have a great time with them and without them. Let me repeat here - go for it.

My first solo cruise was a 16 night transatlantic. I found many wonderful people on the Cruise Critic roll call. A lot of them set up independent excursions that I went on. I had such a great time. I had my time dining and was usually seated with the same people. I had great tablemates. I met a lot of nice people at the trivia games who let me sit in with their group. Now all I want to do is cruise solo. I have a back to back booked for next Oct. I say don't knock it until you try it. Best of luck to you.

I grabbed a great rate on a 7 night Liberty Western Itinerary and took the late dining. I expect to get seated with other solo cruisers. That's how it's been on ALL my previous solo CCL trips.

Go for it!

Edited by evandbob

I just returned from my first solo yesterday. I was worried also, but that went away quickly. I didn't plan to eat in the MDR every night, maybe just for the lobster, but that changed. The first night was Halloween and I sat and people watched for a few hours, missed dinner completely! Ordered room service after the Welcome Aboard show. The next night was Elegant Night and I dressed and went to get my lobster tail. I requested a table alone and did not feel at all out of place. I also dressed and had dinner in the MDR for the next two nights. Sometimes I read, sometimes I just relaxed. It seemed like the service was better and quicker being solo. I was in and out in under an hour each time. I also ate alone at brunch to get my free drink. I went to the main shows, the comedy shows and watched the hairy man and ice carving shows alone. Never had a problem finding a good seat!

One thing to remember when cruising solo is you have all that room to yourself! I loved it and hope Carnival has another special so I can book again solo.

Hope you decide to go and have a great time! :)

Hey J&J my lil sis was on that sailing. She had a blast!!! I'm in DFW. I love my own cabin. After 2 solo cruised I'm hooked. I'm loving that Norwegian and Princess will be sailing from Houston. We have 4 lines to cruise from now. Let's go last minute specials and super discounted solo cabins. LOL!:D

I'm an experienced cruiser, but I'm now having second thoughts that I can go through with cruising alone. I would hope that I meet others on the cruise that I could dine with, etc. but that's no guarantee. Carnival's solo rates are very good and I need to be on a beach but I'm thinking about canceling and rescheduling for next year when someone else could go.

Even though I now have someone to travel with, it wasn't always so. I have cruised several times solo and totally enjoyed it. However your reference to wanting to be on a beach brings me to an alternative that I enjoy just as much - all-inclusive resorts. The three major spots are Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Mexico. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Mexico is probably the best value, the Dominican resorts are newer and more hip, but I prefer Jamaica because of the people and the beaches. They truly treat you with "No problem mon". So I suggest checking out the all-inclusive resorts in Negril. You will find resorts just for singles, just for couples, and for families. I have tried them all. For meeting people as a solo, the single resorts are the best. You just have to be ready for all that comes with that kind of atmosphere. You will find singles at the family resorts too. Many of the activities are designed for people to meet; so that should not be a problem.

Many of the same reasons I love cruising also apply to all-inclusive resorts - no constant packing and unpacking, your choice of being very active or just relaxing, good (or great) food and service I would never get at home...with the added benefit of having a beautiful beach, instead of a pool.

In any case do it now, don't wait until next year. You never know what can happen.

Art

Edited by artbcpa

I want to go on the Holland America Statendam through the Panama Canal, 15 days, Jan 30, 2014. I'm a spry 82 yr old woman with many cruising experiences. Would you be interested in joining me?

i'm an experienced cruiser, but i'm now having second thoughts that i can go through with cruising alone. I would hope that i meet others on the cruise that i could dine with, etc. But that's no guarantee. Carnival's solo rates are very good and i need to be on a beach but i'm thinking about canceling and rescheduling for next year when someone else could go. Also, there will be a newer ship (the liberty) doing the same itinerary next year.

I purchased the insurance so i would get 75% back as a credit. Any advice is appreciated.

dear african violet - i have just come back from a holland america western caribbean cruise on which i traveled solo for the first time. I had a great time. Go to the solo/single meet and greets. I met so many wonderful people from all over the world. Do it - i don't think you'll regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Solo cruises are the best. Don't cancel! :-) know you started this thread a month ago, hopefully your plans are still intact! :-) Solo cruise #9 is in 10 days and I can't wait!!!!

Below are my most recent solo cruise trip reports. They were some of my best cruises!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1944372

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881918

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826302

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1734869

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

Just go! You only live once.

One thing not mentioned yet is something you already said - you are an experienced cruiser. THAT will get you far, I can assure you. You already know how cruising works. You already know what you like and don't like. I assume you've already spent time in the MDR with other passengers. You already know what works for you. Take comfort in that knowledge and work with it.

It was one cruise in particular I did with my ex where we had a sizeable CC group, and I ended up being quite the social butterfly aboard. That experience made me realize that I would do just fine by myself. Yes, that fear you're feeling is normal. I just booked my fourth solo and I still have a level of nervousness about it.

Now, get to the terminal, start smiling and chatting with people around you, just like you would if you had a companion standing next to you. Have a wonderful time - we know you will - and report back to us! :D