Just Back From 30 days on the Royal Princess

traveling1969

High C's

Thanks so much! We expect to have a great cruise, as we haven't found one yet that has been overly disappointing. There are always good things to discover and enjoy. We have journeyed many nautical miles now since our first cruise on the Sun Princess in 1998-(and I thought she was HUGE) and have stepped up to the Golden, Grand, Caribbean, Star, Emerald, Ruby and now the Royal. Each ship was different, even through the crew, so we always had a lovely time. We've met new friends and still correspond with some.

We'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of weeks ready to board her. I expect to say, "Oh my goodness" when I first see her! It will be amazing. Our balcony is more aft of the walkway, and not directly under it, so no privacy issues. And, we'll go with the flow of the design. Trevor will love his pizza in Alfredo's, I'm sure! :)

Anyway, thanks for all the posts. Regards to Burlington and Elizabeth St!! :)

Lynne

This is a shame since you won't like any new-build. :( From what I understand, ships have to be built with lifeboats and tenders to have more direct access.

Pam- I could understand some new-build design requirements if they mandated that the lifeboat entrances had to be level with the promenade deck- but the lifeboats are still hanging up above people's heads on the Royal only with not so much clearance as before. I see no advantage in an "abandon ship" mode which 99% of ships have never gone through or will go through as most of the crew are usually sober. We have learned a lot from the Titanic disaster-where they didn't have binoculars for the crows's nest crew and blithely sailed into iceberg-infested waters.

If a ship is going to sink I don't think it will matter whether the lifeboats have to be lowered from 80 feet above (as was the case with late 1990's Carnival designs, still at sea) or whether the lifeboats are exactly at promenade level(blocking my view of the sea which is the prime reason I have bought a ticket) and we are all sitting in them waiting from Muster Drill onwards. There will be panic regardless just as if there was a sign in the HC saying "sorry we have no more bacon".

Another new-build, Norwegian Breakaway,has a promenade filled with people dining outdoors and the lifeboats not getting in the way.

Maybe the promenade deck could be moved up a deck above the lifeboats and we can go back to "partially obstructed view" cabins for a lesser fare on Emerald deck?

If the current design of no promenade deck, except a joke one, is to be the norm for the next 20 years then so be it- I'll cruise on the older ships as I don't expect to be alive after another 20 years anyway. The Ruby will still be around in 2033, albeit in need of a paint job.

Norris

Pam- I could understand some new-build design requirements if they mandated that the lifeboat entrances had to be level with the promenade deck- but the lifeboats are still hanging up above people's heads on the Royal only with not so much clearance as before. I see no advantage in an "abandon ship" mode which 99% of ships have never gone through or will go through as most of the crew are usually sober. We have learned a lot from the Titanic disaster-where they didn't have binoculars for the crows's nest crew and blithely sailed into iceberg-infested waters.

If a ship is going to sink I don't think it will matter whether the lifeboats have to be lowered from 80 feet above (as was the case with late 1990's Carnival designs, still at sea) or whether the lifeboats are exactly at promenade level(blocking my view of the sea which is the prime reason I have bought a ticket) and we are all sitting in them waiting from Muster Drill onwards. There will be panic regardless just as if there was a sign in the HC saying "sorry we have no more bacon".

Another new-build, Norwegian Breakaway,has a promenade filled with people dining outdoors and the lifeboats not getting in the way.

Maybe the promenade deck could be moved up a deck above the lifeboats and we can go back to "partially obstructed view" cabins for a lesser fare on Emerald deck?

If the current design of no promenade deck, except a joke one, is to be the norm for the next 20 years then so be it- I'll cruise on the older ships as I don't expect to be alive after another 20 years anyway. The Ruby will still be around in 2033, albeit in need of a paint job.

Norris

Norris;

Good points.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

My understanding of the SOLAS requirements is that there is a maximum height above the waterline in which the lifeboats are to be located. This is intended to reduce the launch time, however this can be higher if the intent is to protect the lifeboats from damage. Nevertheless all contemporary cruise ships have the life boats closer to the hull and not high on the superstructure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you for writing such an informative review. I'll be sailing on her in January and hope all will be well. I havent had a bad cruise yet, some better than others, and hope that this streak will continue. Again thank you for the review. Vickie

No, I wouldn't say there were more negatives than positives. We actually had a great time. While it didn't live up to our lofty preconceptions, it was, after all, a new ship and a very nice one at that. We enjoyed our time aboard. That said, this ship will never be a "destination" for us. Too much hype and not enough substance.

It's nice to hear that you still managed to have a great time on Royal Princess despite the 'lack of substance'. For me the ship is the destination, since I've pretty much grown tired of the Caribbean anyways, and I look forward to spending two weeks enjoying what Royal Princess has to offer.

Norris

Hi Norris,

I've also read accounts to where the Norwegian Breakaway's 'Waterfront' boardwalk is all but unusable in inclement weather, that the 'walkway' is barely big enough for two people to pass each other, and that the lifeboats suspended out from the hull still interfere with the views both from the boardwalk when seated, as well as the balconies from above. The only pictures that I've ever seen of the Waterfront 'filled with people dining outdoors' were in artist impressions. And I wonder what Princess Cruises design purists would have thought had Royal Princess been designed with her lifeboats sticking out like sore thumbs from the sides of the hull instead?

Hi Norris,

I've also read accounts to where the Norwegian Breakaway's 'Waterfront' boardwalk is all but unusable in inclement weather, that the 'walkway' is barely big enough for two people to pass each other, and that the lifeboats suspended out from the hull still interfere with the views both from the boardwalk when seated, as well as the balconies from above. The only pictures that I've ever seen of the Waterfront 'filled with people dining outdoors' were in artist impressions. And I wonder what Princess Cruises design purists would have thought had Royal Princess been designed with her lifeboats sticking out like sore thumbs from the sides of the hull instead?

Dave, I had plans for today but now they are shot as I feel I have to go look at the Breakaway-reviews, videos, whatever I can get my hands on. I was very excited by the concept of outdoor dining venues when I heard of the new-build for NCL and recall a photo-heavy review on the NCL board soon after launching.

I know full promenade decks are not a deal-breaker for many and possibly not for me, either, but I know in a blind-taste test I would probably go for a ship that had one over one that didn't. There are so many fine looking ships that have them currently and will be sailing for years to come that I am not in panic-mode

although I have composed a blues on my banjo for those nights around the campfire- "SOLAS Blues."

Lifeboat access is a necessity of course. They sit there for years....waiting just in case. I wouldn't be surprised if the innovative designers of Royal Caribbean don't find a use for them in the meantime-maybe a big arm hovering over the side of the ship, suspending half a dozen lifeboats loaded with passengers and then a motorized spinner at the top of the arm starts the boats spinning like a fairground ride over the water.

Has trailing the lifeboats behind the ship like baby ducks been tried yet?

Norris, looking for his first ship-designing commission

Hi Norris,

I think the exterior 'Waterfront' areas would work better in a year-round environment more suitable for their purpose, but with Norwegian Breakaway being homeported out of NYC even the earlier Bermuda runs had issues with bad weather, not to mention what it would be like in winter months.

Maybe the Norwegian Getaway passengers will have better use of those areas since she is homeported from Miami?

As for promenades, will the Quantum of the Seas class have them, or the Holland-America new builds? Is this an unknown new construction regulation, or simply profit optimization? The Oasis-class has the wrap around track due to the lifeboats being suspended out from the hull instead of deck mounted via davits or recessed into the hull.

Good luck on that ship design commission! :D

There is indeed a wine package offered on the Royal Princess. I guess "offered" may be a misleading term. At no point in our cruise were we "offered' the wine package. We asked about the package at customer service upon boarding but were told there was none offered. We happened to hear someone state "we have two bottles left in our wine package". This was 8 days into the 12 night Med. portion. We immediately asked our waiter who said yes there was a wine package then tried to tell us about it. I asked him for the brochure or other written info but he said there wasn't anything available. He then brought us one of the package cards which had the info on it. The silver package cost $161 for 7 bottles, $210 for 10 bottles or $240 for 12 bottles. It included any bottle of wine valued at $29 or less. The golden package was $217 for 7 bottles, $290 for 10 bottles and $336 for 12 bottles and included any bottle of wine valued at $45 or less. A 15% standard gratuity is charged on the above prices.

It's nice to hear that you still managed to have a great time on Royal Princess despite the 'lack of substance'. For me the ship is the destination, since I've pretty much grown tired of the Caribbean anyways, and I look forward to spending two weeks enjoying what Royal Princess has to offer.
In my case, the Royal Princess was the first cruise I have booked where the ship was the destination. We would not have booked a Mediterranean or Caribbean cruise. Of course, we had a great time. I cannot imagine not having a great time on a cruise. I still agree with those who have said the ship is a beauty, but lacks substance, functionality, or resembles a five star floating hotel. I wonder about the path that led to so many design decisions that I feel the customer would not have chosen or suggested.

About the chefs table, we did it as the first group on the TA cruise and found it wonderful. Chef Alfredo was at our table throughout the whole meal. Everything was perfect. But I do feel it was overpriced. The winemakers dinner was also fantastic and a better deal. I enjoyed both.

As far as the lack of a promenade on deck 7, from what I understood, all new ships will no longer have a full promenade outside the ship. This is due to the Costa accident and the need for full access to the lifeboats no matter what. If you remember the Costa could only use the life boats on one side due to the tilt of the ship. Also no changes will be made on the Regal.

As far as the lack of a promenade on deck 7, from what I understood, all new ships will no longer have a full promenade outside the ship. This is due to the Costa accident and the need for full access to the lifeboats no matter what. If you remember the Costa could only use the life boats on one side due to the tilt of the ship. Also no changes will be made on the Regal.

Timetravler, or any sailors out there:

Am I missing something re lifeboats? If ship is listing 20º (Concordia was ) is there a significant difference if lifeboats are on deck 7 or 8? If Concordia's starboard lifeboats were on 7 instead of 8, do you think they could have been launched?

Thanks

Kathleen

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did find a lot to like on the Royal. Here's our top 5:

5. Seaworthy - smooth sailing in rough seas. Impressive!

4. Deluxe Balconies - finally a comfy place to sit in a balcony stateroom.

3. Alfredo's - yes, I know it's on other ships but this one is top notch.

2. Expanded Piazza - more seats on several levels and more live acts.

1. Horizon Court - more room, more choices, better organized.