Making the big switch from Traditional for 2 to Anytime for Whatever!

canadarocks

If you decided you want to dine with others, as we always do, because we love meeting new people and making new cruise friends, I would suggest you ask to be seated at a table for no more than 6. That's the best size for conversation. We have found that it seems like at larger ones it's often hard to get and keep a general conversation going.

I had traditional dining on my first three (non Princess) cruises as well as my first Princess cruise. On my second Princess cruise, dd and I chose anytime dining, since it was just the two of us. When we'd traveled with others they always wanted traditional. We loved it anytime, especially the flexibility it gave us depending on what we'd planned for the evening or how tired we were on port days. If we knew early in the day what our schedule was, we'd call the dine line and make a reservation. If we didn't, the wait was never bad. We'll be on the Crown in June and will do anytime dining again. Enjoy!

ATD was one of the reasons we started cruising with Princess. We are the opposite of most of the other posts. We typically get a snack or pizza when returning to the ship (around 4:30 on Caribbean trips) then rest and eat dinner around 8 pm. Usually little to no wait, and we dine just the 2 of us. Next trip is to Alaska so the schedule may be different since each port day varies so much.

Edited by knbcruisers

We enjoy anytime dining and my husband will only sit at a table for 2. Each morning, I call and make a reservation for the time we want and specify that I want a table for 2. We will wait patiently, if needed, for the table we want but if you're flexible about how many people you will sit with, you can get in very quickly. Enjoy your cruise.:)

We were just on the Golden and did any time dining. I believe the first dining room opened at around 5 or 5:30 and we normally went on the early side and always asked for a table for 2. We had any where from a 30 minute wait to about an hour. Of course it's different from ship to ship and depends on how big the dining room is they are using.

I am a "traditionalist" but was willing to try anytime dining for the three day cruise. Decided to do MDR dining in the suite the first night (over 1000 blue cards...too much commotion for me). Second night we had reservations for a table for 6 (made very late in the afternoon for 6 PM). We waited at the table for 25 minutes before any one else was seated at the table. We could not get our waiters' attention to begin ordering. Dinner that night took us 2.5 hours from soup to dessert.

Third and last night we had reserved a table for two. Great waiter, fast service, but I got the feeling that AnyTime dining is a very chaotic time for the waiters.

I'm sticking with Traditional and small tables.

Everyone has their preferences. Wish it worked out better for me.