taking photo i.d off the ship with you ???

brockmom

Ok, fair enough. I suppose the ship cares more than me about leaving someone.

If someone is late getting back to the ship (and not on a ship's tour), that is their problem and if they are without their passport, then I think they are really silly for getting into that situation. I always take my passport when overseas, just in case.

I don't disagree. There may be regulations that oblige Celebrity and other cruise lines to take reasonable steps to ensure that they don't leave passengers behind without appropriate travel documents. Much the same as airlines are now required to have you show your passport when boarding international flights so that there's no problem at the other end.

I don't disagree. There may be regulations that oblige Celebrity and other cruise lines to take reasonable steps to ensure that they don't leave passengers behind without appropriate travel documents. Much the same as airlines are now required to have you show your passport when boarding international flights so that there's no problem at the other end.

Yes, and god forbid we get to the stage where they check to make sure we have passports prior to disembarkation at ports as well. :D

I sometimes take the passport and sometimes the driver's license but what concerns me about this is hearing that "someone" gets into your safe if you are not back on the ship. I could have $70,000+ worth of jewelry in there and between "someone" emptying out the safe - taking the contents to the Port Authority and them holding it until I got there and claimed it - I wouldn't be expecting it to all be there so then who would be the responsible party? Of course I don't plan to miss the ship but emergencies do happen - now I'm feeling like I don't dare take the jewelry, cruising and dressing up is one of the few places left to wear it (not off the ship though).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why would anyone take expensive jewlery on vacation? Most things I take are costume jewlery although it may look expensive, I don't have to worry about losing it or getting it stolen. It's easily replaceable.

For the OP, we've only taken our driver's license for identification when we leave the ship. I think out of all the times we left the ship when we were in port, only one merchant asked for an ID, although my credit card is not signed....instead it is signed, "ask for ID". When we boarded the ship again they only wanted our sea pass. That said, I always had to remove my hat and sunglasses when reboarding. Celebrity has your picture ID scanned in.

Edited by midwestchick

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why would anyone take expensive jewlery on vacation? Most things I take are costume jewlery although it may look expensive, I don't have to worry about losing it or getting it stolen. It's easily replaceable....

Some people feel that jewelry is to be worn and enjoyed.

We enjoy the formal nights on cruises as a chance to get dressed up and have an elegant evening. It just seems natural that nice jewelry would be a part of that.

Edited by Lsimon

I seemed to remember going through a passport check when flying between EU countries. Am I remembering right?

It depends. If you are within the 26 countries of the Shengen zone, there are no passport controls. But if you are travelling from a non-Shengen country to a Shengen country, then there is a Passport Check. Thus, for example, Netherlands to Italy, no. Uk to Italy, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Edited by BKFlowerMound

We have traveled all over the World and generally don't take our passports unless directed by the tour company or cruise line.

In some cases, the cruise line has taken our passports for several days (most) of the cruise.

I think if you take the ship's excursions, there is little reason to take your passport. However, I can see if your next port is a different country, or non-EU country, it may be wise to take your passport, particularly if you are on a long private tour.

Still, you have to weight that risk against the risk of a successful pickpocket.

Before the ship leaves port someone will go in your room and into your safe and get your passport out of your safe. Then someone at the port will meet you with your passport. I'm not sure of all the detail for it has not happened to me. But it has been talked about on CC.... Richard

If you miss the ship the security staff will empty your safe in your stateroom and give your passport and such to the port agent....

This keeps popping up whenever there is discussion of taking passports ashore.

If you have not returned to the ship on time, the cruise ship staff will attempt to locate your passport in your cabin safe. However sometimes there simply isn't enough time for them to do this. According to the two largest cruise companies, Carnival and Royal Caribbean, they are successful only 70% of the time.

There is no guarantee that your passport will be waiting at the Port Agent for you.

Royal Caribbean recommends that you carry photocopy of your passport.

However a photocopy is not an acceptable travel document and will only assist you in getting a replacement passport from a US embassy, in the event that you missed the ship and wanted to fly home.

Before the ship leaves port someone will go in your room and into your safe and get your passport out of your safe. Then someone at the port will meet you with your passport. I'm not sure of all the detail for it has not happened to me. But it has been talked about on CC. I've been all over the world many times. The only country that I carried my passport with me at all times was Russia and I had my resident card that you get from the hotel with me. Richard

In Venice, the three "over 18's" in our group took passports, figuring our 13 yr old wouldn't need any more than his school ID. Not so. Had to go to the cabin for his passport before they would allow him thru. This was before gaining access to the pier.

In the islands, a photo ID is all that is needed.

Always carry your passport. We were told passports not needed in Rome. Got arrested on the train from the port to Rome by the carabineri for not having a passport, so don't believe the cruise ship personnel carry your own passport with your.

Always carry your passport. We were told passports not needed in Rome. Got arrested on the train from the port to Rome by the carabineri for not having a passport, so don't believe the cruise ship personnel carry your own passport with your.

Can you explain why your were even detained, much less arrested for not carrying a passport on the train in Rome?

I lived in Europe for four years and never carried my passport with me. Of course I carried an ID card from the US Army.

I agree, but make sure it is in a safe pocket to avoid pick pockets.:D

Can you explain why your were even detained, much less arrested for not carrying a passport on the train in Rome?

I lived in Europe for four years and never carried my passport with me. Of course I carried an ID card from the US Army.

According to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

To enter, sojourn in or transit throughout the Schengen area, aliens must be in possession of a passport or other travel document recognized as valid for the purposes of crossing all Schengen States borders.

To enter, sojourn in or transit through Italy, aliens must be in possession of a passport or another travel document recognised as valid by the Italian government.

Possibly your time in Europe pre-dated these policies. Or maybe you simply were never challenged.

According to the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

To enter, sojourn in or transit throughout the Schengen area, aliens must be in possession of a passport or other travel document recognized as valid for the purposes of crossing all Schengen States borders.

To enter, sojourn in or transit through Italy, aliens must be in possession of a passport or another travel document recognised as valid by the Italian government.

Possibly your time in Europe pre-dated these policies. Or maybe you simply were never challenged.

You will only miss it if you don't carry one when you need it, and then you are in strife.:D

I've not sailed with Celebrity yet, but the process as explained to me should be similar. With the ship's computerized system, they know at any given point in time exactly which passengers are still ashore and which have been scanned back aboard. At a predetermined time, departure minus "x" minutes, security is tasked to get and pass to port authority the necessary passport(s). You aren't going to see that on YouTube because no one is filming ship's crew coming and going.

[/font]

Thanks. I had forgotten about the time lapse between needing to be on board and actually leaving. I guess I need a refresher cruise...oh wait - we've got one coming up in 13 weeks!! I don't plan on testing the theory of someone getting my documents because I've missed the ship, though. I'll leave that drama for someone else!!

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm sorry, but I am very skeptical that your were ARRESTED for not having your passport. Details, please.

We have spent months in Italy, cumulatively, and never even been asked to show a pp other than at some, but definitely not all, hotels.. .

This does not ring true at all

I'm sorry, but I am very skeptical that your were ARRESTED for not having your passport. Details, please.

We have spent months in Italy, cumulatively, and never even been asked to show a pp other than at some, but definitely not all, hotels.. .

This does not ring true at all

Perhaps it was a language issue and they were not really arrested but questioned?:confused:

Can someone who has recently cruised with Celebrity please tell me what if not all , islands you need to take photo i.d off the ship with you...and if a photo copy of your passport is sufficient. I do not want to take my real passport off with me in case of a lost or stolen situation. Thank you brockmom ( I have only encountered one time which was in Key west where we had to have i.d with us.)

We just came off a cruise to the South Pacific and we were required to take our passports with us in New Caledonia. They announced that the local govt made the request and that most likely we would not be asked for them (which we were not), but we needed to have them. I was not at all happy about this given it was an island with nothing to do other than swimming, but we took them because we were told to. As we were leaving the ship to go ashore Security continually reminded people to have them.

Just for your information ; in some European countries, e.g. Belgium, Netherlands, even nationals and residents must by law always carry their identity cards (or lacking this; passports).

Edited by odysee