Ice Skating on Allure

nAuntie

My hubby and I are cruising on Allure, leaving on the 17th of November. My hubby has it in his head that he should bring his skates so that he can skate onboard. I've told him that's silly and he can just rent skates instead of carrying heavy skates from Canada to Florida and then skate once or twice on the ship.

Will he be allowed to take his skates on board?

Any advice on how to talk him out of this stupid idea??!! LOL

My hubby and I are cruising on Allure, leaving on the 17th of November. My hubby has it in his head that he should bring his skates so that he can skate onboard. I've told him that's silly and he can just rent skates instead of carrying heavy skates from Canada to Florida and then skate once or twice on the ship.

To be clear, no rent required. You can sign the waiver for all of the activities online so you can get your equipment and go on the ice! Have fun. :)

The loaner skates do not have much edge so be careful at first. ;)

I think that the size of the rink and the little time that it is available for open skating is not worth lugging skates from home to the ship. If he really wants to experience it and say that he did it just use the ship's equipment. Tell him to make sure he brings long pants.

Allure supplies skates at no fee .

Taking your own may pose problems with the TSA and would require to be packed in checked baggage. Doing so takes up too much valuable luggage space particularly in the airline charges for baggage. Leave skates at home and use the ones provide on the Allure.

I cannot imagine any situation in which I would ever voluntarily put on "public/rental" skates again in this lifetime.

It wasn't until I bought my own hockey skates that I realized that ice skating really is not that difficult -- all you need is a blade with actual edges (which you will never find on any rental skate), and it's a piece of cake!

If he's like most Canadians and has been skating since birth, he'll be VERY disappointed in the quality of any rental skate.

I took my skates on mariner in 2006 and found it to be worth it. If he skates regularly the rental skates will be uncomfortable and useless for anything other than straight skating because they don't have a toepick and are made of blue plastic that does not bend at all. The advanced sessions are usually in the morning and rarely have many people.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

I took my skates on mariner in 2006 and found it to be worth it. If he skates regularly the rental skates will be uncomfortable and useless for anything other than straight skating because they don't have a toepick and are made of blue plastic that does not bend at all. The advanced sessions are usually in the morning and rarely have many people.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

Please allow me a small chuckle that someone from Arizona owns ice skates. :D

Archived