Does the Diamond Princess have anytime dining?

travellovers2

Could be mistaken but thought I read somewhere that Anytime Dining is not offered in Australia, nor would it be for Japan. Which is even more reason why Diamond and Sapphire should stay in North America while some other Grand Class ships are sent over there.

I believe AD is not offered on the Japanese cruises.

Could be mistaken but thought I read somewhere that Anytime Dining is not offered in Australia, nor would it be for Japan. Which is even more reason why Diamond and Sapphire should stay in North America while some other Grand Class ships are sent over there.

Now that you say that, I think I read that, too. Ditto to that being the perfect reason for keeping the Diamond and Sapphire in North America. What a huge loss for us.

I'm booked on Diamond Princess in April (Tokyo) and my travel agent said they do NOT have Anytime Dining on that cruise.

My previous Diamond Princess had it (a while ago) so I guess it's itinerary specific.

Maybe the Japanese don't like it. I got an Email from Princess saying there will be a lot of Japanese tourists on this cruise.

I'm booked on Diamond Princess in April (Tokyo) and my travel agent said they do NOT have Anytime Dining on that cruise.

My previous Diamond Princess had it (a while ago) so I guess it's itinerary specific.

Maybe the Japanese don't like it. I got an Email from Princess saying there will be a lot of Japanese tourists on this cruise.

I received the same email. I wonder why they need to inform us that there would be a lot of Japanese tourist on that cruise. When we cruise in the mediterranean, we dont receive an email saying that there will be a lot of Europeans on that cruise. Right? :D

What are you doing pre and post cruise in Japan? We're considering 2 days pre-cruise in Tokyo and 3 days post-cruise in Kyoto. Any thoughts?

I received the same email. I wonder why they need to inform us that there would be a lot of Japanese tourist on that cruise. When we cruise in the mediterranean, we dont receive an email saying that there will be a lot of Europeans on that cruise. Right? :D

What are you doing pre and post cruise in Japan? We're considering 2 days pre-cruise in Tokyo and 3 days post-cruise in Kyoto. Any thoughts?

It said this- "On this particular voyage, you'll have the benefit of a unique customized experience for the Japanese culture as a good portion of the passengers sailing will be from Japan. This will include new Japanese dining & entertainment options as well as some other differences that will provide you with a great way to absorb the culture."

So I guess to let us know so to limit complaints. People that don't like it can cancel I guess.

I was in Tokyo in July so saw most of it but I want to do a day trip or 2 out of Tokyo. My hubby hasn't been.

If you have a few days consider going to Hakone. You can do it in a long 12hr day but I stayed overnight and did it in 2 days. Google Hakone free pass (it allows you to do the circuit on all transport for 2 days). We stayed at a hotel near where the ship stops (before you get on the rope course). Great views of Mt Fuji (on a nice day).

After the cruise we are going home via Cairns in Queensland, Aust for a few days.

Sayaguru - I see on your signature that you did not like the MSC Magnifica. Join the club!! We did not like the MSC Poesia, not because of the ship, but the food was horrible and the attitude of the staff was worse!

Hated it. The food was disgusting. Lukewarm. We likened it to pub food (and that was generous). We sent half cooked fish back one night and the chef said everyone was sendsing it back.

Didn't have any towels for 4 hours when we boarded (after 4 phone calls). We called, went and had lunch, called walked around, called. Crazy.

Lots of staff had no English and the so called supervisors just stood in the way in the buffet. No supervision.

The dinisng room service was VERY poor. Never saw the waiter except to bring meals. We had 3-4 courses and it was so slow they flashed the lights to get us out as we were being seved desert. 2/3 of the way through the cruise less than half the people were turning up for the traditional dining. The second last night the place was deserted. I guess people gave up.

Rant over!! LOL

It was VERY cheap. I'll be more selective in the future. + met a lovely couyple from America (whom they seated with 2 Russian couples with no English). When they complained the waiter said "Talk to your wife" and walked off. We got them to swap tables so they sat with us.

Edited by sayaguru

on the Sun/Sea & Dawn Princess there's no anytime dining but they are aussie ships

Princess do not do Anytime dining on the Sea, Sun, Dawn Princess, but it is available on the Diamond Princess when in Australia. We cruised on the Diamond in May this year, Beijing to Vancouver and anytime was available, but loads of Japanese boarded in Tokyo and we were told there were going to be changes to cater to the Japanese, so I would say it us itinerary specific. We are booked on the Sapphire January 2015 from Singapore and have Anytime, so no changes for that part of the Asian market.......I love those ships:)

• 4 months later...
We booked our cruise in Japan and noticed that we were not given the choice of anytime dining. Does anybody know if this ship just doesn't offer the anytime dining option?

Thank you.

Just booked June 20, 2014 18 days and was advised no anytime dinning in Diamond?

When we booked this some months ago, we were informed that there was no Anytime Dining available. It may help the ship with staff assignments as they may have waiters who do not speak Japanese/English and can assign the tables appropriately.

Also, we understand that there will be a combination of what we think of as our traditional offerings, plus Asian oriented food offerings. Fine with us!!!!!

We are looking forward to this cultural immersion.