Carnival hot chocolate

FlyingCruiserNJ

We just booked Alaska in April! Better bet we will be drinking a lot to keep us warm!

Maybe some peppermint schnapps.

Ha, Alaska is not cold in the summertime. Big misconception everyone seems to have. I went there in August 2007 on the Golden Princess for a inside passage from SEA and it was like 75 every day. Kinda surprising to say the least. Although it can get cold at night going thru some of the windy passages there and during shoulder season. I drank the hot chocolate a few times on my last trip and it was almost 90 degrees every day.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Glory and their hot chocolate was still pretty darn good! I'm a guy who makes it at home with skim or 2% milk instead of water and use double packets of hot chocolate mix so I was not expecting it to be quite up to my standards, but it was!

Funny thing was the the first machine filled the cup about half way, but the second machine I used filled the cup all the way up. I didn't mind the half cup because I went and put some vanilla ice-cream in it..... that made it really good and also cooled it off a little.

John

I think the Hot Chocolate is one of the best kept secrets on the ship. EXCELLENT, and always available! I don't know what brand it is, but I always just figured it was because it's "whipped" before it is dispensed into the cup. Whatever it is, it's absolutely superior! :cool:

"SKY"

I totally agree. I love the times that we would get a hot chocolate and the family would sit out on the deck after the show. It is one of the great family memories with the kids we have from the Carnival days. Kids are grown a the two of us sail primarily RCCL these days (although we'll be on the Carnival Liberty in February). For most part we prefer RCCL but Carnival has RCCL beat hands down on the hot chocolate.

My kids loved it, in August, in the Caribbean! They said that the Hot Chocolate in the MDR was better than on the Lido, but the Lido was still really good. I am not sure what the difference was.

I agree with your kids! I have a cup of hot chocolate every night with my dessert in the MDR.

Just got back from my first Carnival cruise EVER had a great time except the coffee was horrible. I am NOT a coffee snob but this was bad...about day 3 I discovered the hot chocolate dispensers and it changed my life (OK maybe I am exaggerating here) I added that to my coffee and it was wonderful.:p

Next day I get room service for breakfast and I think I have it all figured out and I order hot chocolate. I am dreaming about a large carafe of hot chocolate..sigh...yep it was hot water with a packet of Nestle's hot chocolate mix.:(

Next Carnival cruise and there will be one I am so getting hot chocolate on day one cafe mocha for me from now on when I sail with Carnival.

Love the Hot Chocolate machines on Carnival. One of the things I missed when we were sailing on NCL Jewel last month. They have packets with water and mix it yourself. I also like ordering Hot Chocolate to go with my dessert in the MDR at dinner. Both NCL and CCL serve it already made up....yummy.

Edited by Warm Breezes

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, carnival's hot chocolate is still pretty good. I just got off the Imagination on friday and I would estimate I had about 15 to 20 cups of the stuff. They must add cream or sugar or something to it in the frothing machine. Funny thing is that when I went to get some, often times people just didn't even know it was there. Alot of people tried and liked it after discovering it though. One of the better kept secrets on carnival. I actually made a cup of regular nestle mix yesterday and it tasted like absolute crap in comparison lol.

Just got off the Sensation on Halloween day last week (review forthcoming when I can sit down and just write for while uninterrupted) and I noticed the hot chocolate mix they have is pretty good. Better than the powdered stuff you usually get at the grocery store. As far as I can see it is just powder mixed with hot water BUT is there something more to it that anyone may know about? I had it a few times, even when it was very warm on deck.

Anyone else have an opinion on the Carnival hot chocolate that they serve? Like or dislike? Know what product they actually use in the mix?

FlyingCruiserNJ

I like it just fine without knowing what's in it. :eek:

IMG_1706_Zyde.jpg

Four happy pages on hot chocolate..Is this Cruise Critic?

I thought this was my secret. A cup of hot chocolate (add in a couple of coffee creamers) with cookies from the late night Eats is my favorite snack.

And yes, the machine mixes the hot chocolate better with a higher powder ratio and water at the right temp. I am so trying the vanilla ice cream next.

I don't think the machines are on all ships.. I could be wrong.

We were on the Inspriration a few months ago. While in the buffet I remember my son mixing a packet of hot chocolate with water. So maybe they didn't have the machine.

I think you might be correct (about not all). For the manual method, add more than one packet. :D

Edited by Sargent_Schultz

If it hadn't been for Cruise Critic, I wouldn't even have noticed the hot chocolate machines. We LOVED the hot chocolate on the Sunshine. When we were playing trivia and it was FREEZING in the Ocean Plaza, a nice hot cup of chocolate was perfect! :)

I've watched them fill the machines - it's plain old Nestle.

If anyone out there avoids artificial sweeteners or has a Splenda/sucralose reaction like I do, beware that it contains not only real sugar, but Splenda as well.

Thank you 1000 times over for posting this!! I have a sucralose allergy and it bites since they are using it in so many things now adays. Do you know if they use it in the juices I have asked but the waiters are never sure, so I just avoid it most times. It doesn't seem to be in the Guava juice though.

Thank you 1000 times over for posting this!! I have a sucralose allergy and it bites since they are using it in so many things now adays. Do you know if they use it in the juices I have asked but the waiters are never sure, so I just avoid it most times. It doesn't seem to be in the Guava juice though.

Why not contact the special needs department?

specialneeds@carnival.com

The coffee is usually so bad at the buffet that this is the only way we can drink it - we get one hot chocolate, pour 1/2 into each of two juice glasses and then fill up with coffee. Yum! :)

I love making mochas on board. Sometimes if there's dessert out with whipped cream I'll scoop that on top. Delicious! It's one of the only ways I can tolerate the coffee on board.

Edited by CDNJehn

I love making mochas on board. Sometimes if there's dessert out with whipped cream I'll scoop that on top. Delicious! It's one of the only ways I can tolerate the coffee on board.

I usually get half a cup of coffee ,then fill the rest with hot water right there at the machine , it's too strong otherwise .

It's the only way I can tolerate the coffee too. I really wish they'd change how they make it.

Dear MsTabbyKats,

Adding Water to Hot ChocOlate is like having a milk shake with water and ice..

\

Add Cream or Half-Half it makes Hot Chocolate smoother...

Even in the Old Spanish colonies .. they added Hot Peppers to Spice it up.. and with Cream.. :cool:

I never noticed the hot chocolate....but, for my next cruise:

Fill tervis tumbler with ice....

Add hot chocolate......

Wait for hot chocolate to cool.....

Should be good!