Just off the Royal

akeasley

Our 5 day cruise on the Royal finished yesterday and I just wanted to post that we had a wonderful time! I had some doubts about booking after reading reviews about no central staircase, smaller balconies, etc but the whole trip was great and I'm so glad I booked this cruise!

My husband and I had a mini suite on the Lido deck. A few days before check in, my TA called and asked if we would like to be upgraded to a mini for $99 a person. I said yes right away and we enjoyed the extra space and bathtub. It was a quiet room, never heard any neighbors beside us or in the hallway. Yes, the balcony was small but we only sat out there once or twice so it wasn't an issue.

Food was really good. The Horizon Court and Bistro are huge and never felt crowded. Be sure to check them both out everytime you eat at the buffet because different food is available at each of them. Crown Grill was good but it was odd walking into the Wheelhouse Bar to get to CG. I had never been on a ship with an Alfredo's so that was a nice treat. We ate in the dining room on formal night. I had the fettuccine alfredo which was delicious as usual and my husband had the lobster which he said was good and he was impressed that they offered him another one after he had finished the first.

Never went into Princess Live but did enjoy the Vista Lounge for several events, including Carolos Oscar who is the funniest comedian I have ever heard. Also saw David Cats and watched a movie in the lounge.

Club Six was great. It was where the Platinum and Elite cocktail hours were held so we made good use of that during our cruise.

The Princess Theatre was very nice...loved the 2 new shows we got to see. I had been getting a little tired of the same old shows so it was nice that new shows have been added.

MUTS had some good movies including Man of Steel, Way Way Back, and The Heat. I missed not having many movies during the day but with only one main pool it seemed like live bands and MUTS had to share the same stage.

All the staff were friendly and helpful, especially Grace in the Crown Grill.

I never missed not having a central staircase and the elevators didn't seem any more crowded than usual. I really liked that since the ship is so big, it never felt crowded.

Just thought I would share my thoughts about our cruise on the Royal.

Thanks, akeasley.

We appreciate your review. Sounds like you had a great time. We look forward to our cruise on the Royal, as well. There has been a question regarding Carlos on the Royal. We enjoy him very much. We hope that he is on our cruise.

Paul

Edited by pjrockman

pjrockman, I hope Carlos in on your cruise. We went to two of his shows because he was so funny...can't remember the last time I laughed so much!

We went to both of his shows on our last cruise and enjoyed two completely different 'clean' humor shows. Both shows were hilarious. We also ran into him on the way back from a port day. He is very nice and down to earth. Looking forward to him if he is still on in December.

Thanks, Paul

We truly did have a great time....we were in the very last group to leave because we didn't want to get off the ship. It really bothers me that people are making negative comments and complaining about a ship they've never been on.