RCCL for Alaska

hollon

I'm thinking about going to Alaska again. Wanting to take my family this time around. We love RCCL and thinking about the Radiance. I went on Princess before and didn't really care them, but wanted to see Glacier Bay. OK, should we choose another line instead that goes to Glacier Bay (for the people who didn't see it before) or stick w/ RCCL. I thought if we picked RCCL than we could go on the glacier cruise before the real cruise starts. 26 glacier or major marine, etc. what are your thoughts.

I'm thinking about going to Alaska again. Wanting to take my family this time around. We love RCCL and thinking about the Radiance. I went on Princess before and didn't really care them, but wanted to see Glacier Bay. OK, should we choose another line instead that goes to Glacier Bay (for the people who didn't see it before) or stick w/ RCCL. I thought if we picked RCCL than we could go on the glacier cruise before the real cruise starts. 26 glacier or major marine, etc. what are your thoughts.

I just did that same itinerary on the Celebrity Millennium. It is a fantastic cruise....a cruise that only could have been made better if I was on Radiance!

Book a port side balcony (or window). The views during the first part of the cruise are priceless.

I did the 26 Glaciers cruise in Whittier. I also wrestled with Major Marine vs 26 Glaciers, and waited until I was there to make a decision. The 26 Glaciers boat (Klondike Express) was much nicer and a lot faster. The added speed is what allows you to go to more glacier viewing areas. You get up close to 3 glaciers...Surprise, Cascade and Barry.

I would consider a Radiance or Vision class ship in Alaska from RCI -- for the windows. That said, I did enjoy my two Princess cruises there. I found I always wanted to be on the Promenade deck or near the windows to look out and there were plenty everywhere.

I do think Glacier Bay is a must see. Now that I have seen it twice, I would consider an itinerary without GB in order to go to different ports. You might look at the other lines that visit there if Princess wasn't your cup of tea. For the other new cruisers, I think they should see the Glaciers there as well. That is my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.

I'll also note, I much preferred College Fjord over Hubbard Glacier. I have not been Tracey Fjord so I can't comment there.

I can't imagine not liking a Princess Alaska cruise. My experience was amazing. However I do like the Radiance class ships.

I can't blame it all on Princess, they did a wonderful job, I had my trip planned for months and two weeks before I was set to go, my doctor called me and told me I had cancer and to go on w/ trip and have surgery when I get back, so that can put a bummer into the trip, The ship was beautiful and the excursions, etc were great, I think also I was comparing to rccl and the crowd was a bit older. It was probably just me:(

While we are on the subject, we are doing Rhapsody in May. It is a Seattle roundtrip, so it goes North up the Inland Passage then heads back South. We have stern balconies, but friends are thinking of coming and there are no more stern balconies. Looking at the itinerary map it seems that Starboard side would have the most view. But a poster said "Port." Any thoughts or experiences?

I can't blame it all on Princess, they did a wonderful job, I had my trip planned for months and two weeks before I was set to go, my doctor called me and told me I had cancer and to go on w/ trip and have surgery when I get back, so that can put a bummer into the trip, The ship was beautiful and the excursions, etc were great, I think also I was comparing to rccl and the crowd was a bit older. It was probably just me:(

How sad. I hope you are doing better! I think you are going to find the crowd about the same no matter what line you choose for Alaska. I noticed more foreign passengers. Either way you can't go wrong and I hope this next time will be fantastic. Again the Radiance class is great. I've been on this ship multiple times and the other ones in the same class. The size of the ship is perfect.

How sad. I hope you are doing better! I think you are going to find the crowd about the same no matter what line you choose for Alaska. I noticed more foreign passengers. Either way you can't go wrong and I hope this next time will be fantastic. Again the Radiance class is great. I've been on this ship multiple times and the other ones in the same class. The size of the ship is perfect.

Thanks, I am 2.5 yrs from my surgery and am doing much better. I only have to be on my chemo meds for 2.5 more years (hopefully), and I was only 44 yrs. old. I know this time will be much better trip. I know I'll love Radiance, I'm just worried about missing Hubbard glacier and not going to glacier bay. Thanks :)