A little bit of information about the Five Senses Dinners

warmwinds

We thought this looked interesting, but there is very little info on the website (just the menu and the price) so I just called specialty dining and she told me some things I did not know:

It is not offered on every sailing.

When it is, it is limited to 10 guests, who all sit together in a separate area, usually the "wine cellar" area of the room. So a party of 2 can't have this as a romantic, private dinner, you will be sitting with others.

It can only be booked on board.

I had specifically asked about the Normandie on the Summit, so I'm not sure how it would work on an S class ship.

If anyone has done the Five Senses dinner, I'd love to hear your personal experience.

Edited by warmwinds

The information you were given is completely incorrect and does not describe the Five Senses menu option. Unfortunately another example of the telephone customer service reps having incorrect information and being out of touch with what happens on the ships.

There are two types of wine pairing dinners available in the specialty restaurants.

One is offered every night in Muranos or the M class Equivalent (Normandy on the Summit other names on the other M class). The other is a special wine dinner offered once per cruise on most, but not all cruises, and sometimes twice on longer cruises. I've also heard of a Chef's Table event sometimes held on the ships which would also be a special wine dinner.

The Five Senses menu is the every night offering and is an option available any night at Muranos, or the M class equivalent restaurants. No special arrangement is necessary as this is an option with any regular dinner reservation there. It will be offered when menus are presented. The only requirement is that everyone at your entire table must either choose the regular ala carte menu or the Five Senses menu. The cost is $89 and it include five courses, including a dessert course, with an included wine pairing for each course. There are generally two or three options for each course so the selection is more limited than the ala carte menu. The Five Senses menu is included with the sample menus for these restaurants on Celebrity's web site. Here is a link that goes direct to that page for the Normandy on the Summit, but you'll have to click on "five senses" which is listed on the right of the course listings on the third line of the sample menu: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_ss_normandie_restaurant&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

A party of any size (including just one couple) at their own table can choose this menu if they would prefer it over the ala carte menu.

The other type of wine dinner is a special wine dinner which has a higher cost which has varied from cruise to cruise. This wine dinner is usually called something like "The Captain's Wine Connoisseur Dinner" although the name has varied on different cruises. It is sometimes listed on the list of special wine events the sommeliers on the ship distribute as they promote them. A special reservation for this dinner is required and it may be held in the Muranos restaurant or Tuscan Grill but will have a different menu. It is limited to a small group so if you are interested inquire about it with the Muranos (or M class equivalent) Maitre d', or a sommelier on the ship. The menu is a special menu with wines generally considered to be higher end wines than those included in the Five Senses menu. I don't have a recent copy of one of these menus but here is a link to one from 2010: Millennium Olympic Specialty Restaurant - Special Wine Dinner - offered one night per cruise - Started with a "Sparkling wine reception" in Micheal's club - March 2010

Edited by Lsimon

Thank you so much for the clarification!

By the way, this was not a CVP or a Captain's Club rep, this was who you got when you called the specific phone number for things such as shore excursions and specialty restaurant bookings, and pressed the prompt for "specialty dining reservations".

It sounds like she was describing the more rare, higher priced, once-a-cruise offering you described rather than the Five Senses that I asked about.

Neither Blu nor Normandy require formal attire on formal nights as both are considered smart casual every night. My experience, at least on other ships, is that on formal nights both will have a mix of guests dressed in formal attire and nice smart casual attire so that one should feel comfortable dressed either way.

I'd say that generally the dress at the Muranos/Normandy type restaurant tends to be a little nicer as it is a very elegant setting but there will still be guests dressed both ways. Note that I haven't been on the Summit since the dress codes were relaxed several years ago but it is pretty much the same on all the Celebrity ships.

Thank you, I did not know that. Someone had told me otherwise, once, that, for example, on formal nights the Specialty restaurants (and here I'm talking about the "old", M-class specialty restaurant - Normandie, Olympic, Ocean Liners, etc.) did indeed have different menus.

Thank you, I did not know that. Someone had told me otherwise, once, that, for example, on formal nights the Specialty restaurants (and here I'm talking about the "old", M-class specialty restaurant - Normandie, Olympic, Ocean Liners, etc.) did indeed have different menus.

Don't think that's true, wasn't when we were on Summit or Millie years ago anyway, or on Connie earlier this year.

Hi:)....I agree with Gracie and Sue. The menues stay the same,

whatever the night and whatever the restaurant.

It sounds as if the OP is describing an Excite The Senses Cruise. They only have a few of these every year and there were only 4 tables (or fewer) at certain events, each one hosted by someone from Corporate (Thomas Szymanski (sp?) the executive chef, Dominique Gamba corporate restaurant manager, Thierry Houlbert executive pastry chef, etc were at the last one on the Millennium in September)

If you EVER have the chance to attend one of these, run do not walk and sign up. This was amazing and the hosts were extremely charming and informative. Over the course of the cruises there were various Excite The Senses offerings from vertical wine tastings, "pop-up" dinners, wine and cheese tastings (w/ 20 kinds of cheese) and wine pairing dinners. The prices are extremely fair for what is offered. Our "pop-up" dinner with very high end wines generously poured for each of 6 courses, was only $69.

It sounds as if the OP is describing an Excite The Senses Cruise. They only have a few of these every year and there were only 4 tables (or fewer) at certain events, each one hosted by someone from Corporate (Thomas Szymanski (sp?) the executive chef, Dominique Gamba corporate restaurant manager, Thierry Houlbert executive pastry chef, etc were at the last one on the Millennium in September)

If you EVER have the chance to attend one of these, run do not walk and sign up. This was amazing and the hosts were extremely charming and informative. Over the course of the cruises there were various Excite The Senses offerings from vertical wine tastings, "pop-up" dinners, wine and cheese tastings (w/ 20 kinds of cheese) and wine pairing dinners. The prices are extremely fair for what is offered. Our "pop-up" dinner with very high end wines generously poured for each of 6 courses, was only $69.

Sounds great, thank you.

How would I find out about it: advertised in the dailies or should I ask?

Sounds great, thank you.

How would I find out about it: advertised in the dailies or should I ask?

These type of events are not always advertised. My suggestion is to

speak with one of the Maitr'd's and ask them about it.....try one

of the Specialty Restaurant Mairt'ds.......they are more likely to

know about it.

Also, what is your opinion of dining in the Normandie on a formal night? We'll be in AQ in Blu for the first time, and are worried that Blu, with their "no dress up required" rules, won't be as special?

We always dress up for formal night in Blu and many others dress formally, as well. The ones who were not dressed formally were always very nicely dressed. It is just as special.