New menus

marylizcat

Oh dear wish I hadn't read this thread!

I haven't been on a P&O cruise since the Ventura 5 years ago. Was lured back with a very cheap last minute deal on the Aurora in 2 weeks.

I love the food on Celebrity and RCI, please tell me I won't have to put up with school dinner like stodge on P&O. I don't recall the food being that bad last time I cruised with them, not outstanding but perfectly acceptable.

I hope I am not screaming "I'm not on Celebrity ..Get me out of here!!" halfway through the cruise :D

I haven't been on a P&O cruise since the Ventura 5 years ago. Was lured back with a very cheap last minute deal on the Aurora in 2 weeks.

I love the food on Celebrity and RCI, please tell me I won't have to put up with school dinner like stodge on P&O. I don't recall the food being that bad last time I cruised with them, not outstanding but perfectly acceptable.

I hope I am not screaming "I'm not on Celebrity ..Get me out of here!!" halfway through the cruise :D

We did nearly two months on Aurora this year and, sorry, we thought the buffet was awful. The same menu over and over again. Half of the serving stations were not in use and it was all sooo dreary in there. The best bits for us were the cheese station and McVities Digestives at lunchtimes. However, we liked the food in the MDR and the Pennant Grill was absolutely superb. There was also a good sandwich bar at lunchtimes.

We were on Aurora in June and the MDR food was excellent, especially the fish.

The only criticism I had was that the roast meats were a bit bland and the roast spuds were grim (in a soggy, mass-produced way).

The buffet was ok. We only ate lunch there on 3 occasions and many of the salads were repeated even then but we only are there if we were back aboard too late for lunch in the MDR.

I mean, why fight your way around a buffet to eat semi-warm food and salads when waiters will serve you fresh, hot food in the MDR?

Oh - and the pizza from the Sidewalk Cafe was TERRIBLE! I've eaten far better from Iceland!

I have never eaten lunch in the MDR on any cruise, it is not something that has ever entered my head, I have not particularly enjoyed the buffet lunches so next time I will definitely remember to try it out fur lunch

Just out of interest, why would it not have occurred to you to have lunch in the MDR?

I only ask as I know lots of people skip the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Buffets seem a second-best option to me so I always get my money's worth in the MDR. For me, it's a service and food quality issue rather than a food quantity issue btw.

Just curious!

Oh I do hope not!

:-)

Chips wiv it (curried sausages) in the British style? I might suggest that gourmet dish to the Chef on Arcadia next year. Perhaps even get rid of Marco Pierre White and get Jamie Oliver on P&O. Lubberly Jubberly, get stuck in !!

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the buffet is best avoided!

Maybe Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora would be a decent place to get some breakfast lunch if we want a change from the MDR, the menu looks OK in there.

Please tell me they have more imaginative dishes than meat and 2 veg in the MDR for dinner?:)

Maybe Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora would be a decent place to get some breakfast lunch if we want a change from the MDR, the menu looks OK in there.

Please tell me they have more imaginative dishes than meat and 2 veg in the MDR for dinner?:)

Don't believe the hyperbole, it is always best to form your own opinion.

Sea days - breakfast in the MDR - great choice.

Skip lunch as still full from breakfast.

MDR for dinner.

Port days - quick breakfast in cabin.

Ashore. If back for lunch use MDR - but just a small one.

MDR for dinner.

The MDRs are not 'fine dining'. But it is good , if a tad bland, and better than 99% of us eat at home I would wager.

Avoid afternoon tea and all the extras or you will end up like so many of your travelling companions - Great fat lumps of lard - usually with plentiful tattoos.

Just out of interest, why would it not have occurred to you to have lunch in the MDR?

I only ask as I know lots of people skip the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Buffets seem a second-best option to me so I always get my money's worth in the MDR. For me, it's a service and food quality issue rather than a food quantity issue btw.

Just curious![/

No particular reason, probably because our lunch time varies so much, we eat when hungry and don't spend any length of time over lunch, we eat then go and don't tend to eat too much at lunchtime.

I just have never thought of trying the MDR for lunch, we have the odd breakfast there which I prefer, but hubby likes the buffet for breakfast.

Cafe Bordeaux is great for a lighter brekkie. Handy for shore days too if you get in early.

Good for lunches too - but can get v busy.

I found the MDR always had a meat & 2 veg option but far more imaginative stuff too.

I was on Ventura four years ago and the food was way better. I was on board Oceana a fortnight ago and it was awful (Buffet & MDR) compared to Ventura so hopefully it's an individual ship thing. If not there is always a macdonald's in most ports. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Oh my god I would have to be desperate to resort to maconalds!

Much prefer a nice tapas bar and the local vino!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Forums mobile app

P&O could put in Johnny Rockets like Royal Caribbean has done, yikes. As long as Burger King does not get a mention.

Perhaps Butlins could take over the entertainment on the ship? I can only imagine the Great British Sailaway.

Edited by NSWP

I was sorry to read that the cheese board has been replaced by a pre-plated cheese plate. My husband has always enjoyed the cheese board and being able to pick what and how much cheese he has.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I had missed this post. I think there will be a lot of wastage of cheese. I very rarely order a sweet but do enjoy some cheese after the meal. There are only a few cheeses that I ask for and if these are not on the board then I have the always available Stilton.

If I order cheeses and it has only cheddar, Red Leicester, or smoked cheese it will go back untouched. I do hope they still have the port marinated Stilton on some formal nights.

Sue

P&O could put in Johnny Rockets like Royal Caribbean has done, yikes. As long as Burger King does not get a mention.

Perhaps Butlins could take over the entertainment on the ship? I can only imagine the Great British Sailaway.

What do you mean could? I thought they already had!

I wish I could have imagined the Sailaway instead of actually witnessing it!

Edited by mika6617

What do you mean could? I thought they already had!

I wish I could have imagined the Sailaway instead of actually witnessing it!

The sailaways are not compulsory you know, you are not made to walk the plank if you don't attend, there are plenty of other quiet places on the ship

And your point is?

I think the point is that the sail away parties take place in one section of the ship, if you don't like them then stay away.

I don't like a lot of things on-board, entertainment and activities, I can either spend my time complaining or go elsewhere and enjoy the cruise.

I don't like them because they are pathetic and dated and I do stay away from them, I was however commenting and agreeing with someone else's post which I should be able to without someone jumping in feet first and having a go!

Exactly, you could have enjoyed sailaways somewhere else like I do a lot of the time, I would say that by the amount of people that attend they are enjoyed by many, if no one went they wouldn't do them.

I don't enjoy all the sailaways but I actually missed them on celebrity when there wasn't any, I like to be given a choice to attend or not