Missing return flight home

runner15km

If you missed your return flight home for what every reason did you make it home on the same day. Was the airline or cruise line helpful ?

That's a very vague question.

If you don't call the airline to let them know you're going to miss the flight BEFORE the flight leaves, you will lose the entire value of your ticket. The airline has every right to make you purchase a new ticket; walk up fares are very expensive.

Airlines can't put you on a flight if there are no available seats. Most flights are pretty full now, and on the day thousands of cruise passengers are trying to get home, it's even less likely there will be many seats available for purchase, even at full fare prices.

I am not sure why the cruise line would get involved if you missed your flight.

Edited by 6rugrats

I think a whole lot depends on the circumstances. If you and 30 other people on that flight are delayed because the port was fogged in, the airline may be less accommodating because planes fly pretty full these days. Who gets the most convenient flights will be a function of Elite program status, what you paid (they try to be nicer to full-fare customers), and how full the available flights are. They might be nice but they might not.

DS once got to the airport late because he mis-remembered his departure time (no cruise involved) and when he politely asked to be put on the next flight, they reaccommodated him n the next flight, no charge. That was years ago though, and I'd never count on it.

Yeah, I'd thought about mentioning (and now I will) that if you're booking a flight earlier than the cruise line recommends because it's cheap, that's because the airlines know which flights fit the cruise passengers' schedules comfortably and they charge more for those. If you miss it, chances are the next flight will be packed to the doors with your fellow passengers who paid the higher price and you're unlikely to get on that flight.

Yes its vague,just looking for some passengers who had a missed flight and the out come. I know the guidelines, this thread is for information purposes. Especially for those who have early flights or ports that can get fogged in.

The vague response is - do not book an early flight.

DON

Last year on the way back from the Med, our flight was delayed by six hours. My PHL to MCO leg was ticketed separately but on the same carrier where I have top tier status. (DH was headed to his PHL area office the next day, and not coming home for another week.)

Before leaving ATH, I knew I wouldn't make my second flight, so I called the airline and explained the situation. They readily provided me with a room at the Marriott for the night as well as a re-ticketing on an early flight the next morning with an upgrade to first class.

Had I not be an elite flyer with them, I suspect I would have been re-accommodated on a flight the next day, but not without a little wrangling, and there certainly wouldn't have been a complimentary hotel room that night. (They also gave rooms to those who missed connecting flights as the delay was mechanical in nature, not weather related.)

Bottom line, if you miss your flight, the airline is under no obligation to do anything for you. The exception is a missed connection due to non-weather and certain other related delays. Even then, you will be placed on the next flight with available seats, which could be several days later. The chances of getting a free hotel room depend on the cause for the missed flight. If it's not the "fault" of the airline, you'll be on your own.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

As point of reference, I've been on 76 cruises, and I would say that the ship was very late disembarking maybe 15 of those cruises. Most of the time the delay was because of difficulties in clearing the ship of non-US citizens who dawdled in going to US Immigration clearance. A couple of times, we didn't begin to disembark until nearly 10am.

If you used the cruise line's air, the cruise line MAY help, but don't count on it. If you booked your own air, only the airline will help. Also, years ago, you could count on getting home that day/evening if you missed your flight. But now, with less flights, smaller, regional jets and the same number of people flying, chances of getting home that day are slim to none. Rarely do you even hear of standby passengers anymore--there just aren't any seats available for standbys. Heck, if you hang around at FLL airport on cruise days, you hear a lot of "We need 15 volunteers to give up their seats as we are overbooked".

Edited by kitty9

But now, with less flights, smaller, regional jets and the same number of people flying, chances of getting home that day are slim to none. Rarely do you even hear of standby passengers anymore--there just aren't any seats available for standbys.

Also there is a specific way that the few standby seats are doled out.

First is unaccompanied minors.

Next is (usually) military traveling on orders in uniform.

Then frequent flyers starting with the most elite and working down.

Next is full fare passengers.

After that discounted fare passengers.

Then standbys who missed earlier flights through no fault of the airline.

After that is non-revs.

Deadheading crew goes In there someplace, where depends in if they work for that carrier, a partner, or otherwise.

This is why I say if you don't have status and miss your flight, you could be several days before you get home.

I have many times walked up to the podium just as boarding was beginning and gotten the only standby seat available to get home earlier, even when there were people who had been waiting all day to get on a flight. Status counts for everything in that situation.

Thanks for the responses, I am sure all of the information will benefit those who do not travel often.

As for me I'm retired and if I miss a flight its no biggie, I always find my way home.:D

However it might end up costing you in meals and hotel rooms...

Once we got to the airport and checked our bags. The attendant looked at our ticket for a flight leaving later and said to us "There's a flight leaving in 15 minutes. Would you like to take that flight?" Of course we said yes and were home a few hours earlier. This was a few years ago. Probably can't do this now. We haven't flown anywhere is a long time- we now drive to ports.

Once we got to the airport and checked our bags. The attendant looked at our ticket for a flight leaving later and said to us "There's a flight leaving in 15 minutes. Would you like to take that flight?" Of course we said yes and were home a few hours earlier. This was a few years ago. Probably can't do this now. We haven't flown anywhere is a long time- we now drive to ports.

They will still do,this--if there are seats available. Just be sure that you are going to be ticketed with seat assignments and not standby if you accept this. If you take stand by, tell them you want to retain your original tickets and seats and be "backed up" on the later flight in case you don't clear the stand by list.

FYI, you can not stand by for an earlier flight if you have checked luggage. One more reason to go with only carry on.