Self disembarkation

CruiseHappy14

I've done it on both my Princess cruises and it went very smoothly both times. Neither time was out of Fort Lauderdale, although my next time after the Panama Canal will be. The Star was easier than the CB because the dining room where we had to wait on the CB was more crowded with tables and chairs, which made it difficult to maneuver luggage. But it was fine and very quick both times. If you can handle your luggage it is definitely the way to go.

Generally quite easy to do at Port Canaveral. Sign up for self debark and you will be given a time and place to meet, presuming your goal is to go early. Get to the meeting room early for they direct you to different sections of the room (often a dining room) to wait. You must be able to handle all your luggage and have a "free hand" to hold onto the escalator rail or you will be redirected to the elevator (adding time).

I just came back from a 3 day to Mexico - this was our first time to "Self Disembark" I could not have been easier... went to the Vista Lounge, told the lady we were the 0830 self disembark, she pointed walked through those doors... scanned our ship card and off we went.. Wow, easy

I have done it a few times, and have never had an issue. They do say that you must keep one hand free for the handrails on escalators, though I have never seen this enforced (I am not sure how they would...).

I prefer to have them handle my luggage, to be honest. I have never hit a snag. I get off the ship, and my luggage is there!

• 2 weeks later...

We are also getting ready to sail Princess for the 1st time out of Port Everglades. The ship is scheduled to arrive back at the port at 7am, so what time do folks normally begin walking off? We always take our own luggage and have a 12:30pm flight out of PBI. I was thinking if we were off around 8:30am or so, we should be ok making our flight.

• 3 weeks later...
This is my first time on Princess and would like to know how smoothly disembarking goes carrying your luggage off. Actually, it will be the first time we try this! I will be on the Crown this Saturday out of Ft Lauderdale :D Thank you!

I did it for the first time on my last cruise. Will never go back to the old way. It was so simple and fast. I take my big bag and a carry on, so I don't have a lot of bags to deal with. Plus get off the ship sooner and that avoids the hassle of lines and back ups in customs.