Westerdam Neptune Lounge

mamamzee

In answer to previous threads on this topic, YES, the Westerdam Neptune Lounge had a toaster, snacks changing every few hours, lovely continental breakfast until 10:30 am and the nicest two stewards ever in Janie and Spencer who would do anything for us if at all possible. We loved it in there!

Deid they have the selection of muffins, donuts, bagels, toast on the sideboard each morning? Cheese plates, pound cakes, crackers and cookies/candies etc in the afternoon?

It will be good news to hear they have restored the selection to what all the other ships offer.

Thanks. :)

I am happy to report that the Lounge was excellent. Lots of snacks changed throughout the day, great coffee, toaster in the morning (for those who wondered), peace and quiet and the best two attendants ever --Janie and Spencer.

But things like bagels and muffins are still not out on the counter like they are on other ships' Neptunes? So if you didn't know what was supposed to be available you really wouldn't know what to ask for I take it. It all should be displayed; sometimes you don't know what you want until you see it, especially muffins and donuts. Was there a sneeze guard?

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been a recent report on this by someone who knows what the Neptune offers on the other ships?

Seems to me from this description that Westerdam still does not have the sideboard arranged like the others do. :(

Maybe I should just book an SY next time.

Has there been a recent report on this by someone who knows what the Neptune offers on the other ships?

Seems to me from this description that Westerdam still does not have the sideboard arranged like the others do. :(

Per your request - we were on the Westerdam the lst week of Sept and then the Statendam the following week.

Westerdam did not have the "side board" items - like pasteries, etc. in the morning, nor typical items later in the day (cheese and crackers for example). The Statendam had these items.

DaveOKC

Agree with you so just booked an SS for July 2014 on the Westerdam.

Can anyone make sense of why HAL refuses to restore Westerdam's Neptune to be like all others?

Nope!

But one thing is for certain -- those of us who have sailed in the PS, SA, SB and SC cabins for years certainly won't be thinking about cruising on that ship any time soon.

New cruisers on her have no idea of what they are missing.

Seriously? You won't sail Westerdam again unless they put the buns on the counter? It's "sad" that others don't know the donuts are available, just not out all the time?

Life gives us many problems but surely this isn't one.

The concierges would get us anything!!! The steward got my husband a bagel, toasted it, and brought it to him. We could have had anything--just ask. I think most people are smart enough to say, "Gee, don't you have any Danish?"

Be glad you have the Neptune Lounge.

Seriously? You won't sail Westerdam again unless they put the buns on the counter? It's "sad" that others don't know the donuts are available, just not out all the time?

Life gives us many problems but surely this isn't one.

The concierges would get us anything!!! The steward got my husband a bagel, toasted it, and brought it to him. We could have had anything--just ask. I think most people are smart enough to say, "Gee, don't you have any Danish?"

Be glad you have the Neptune Lounge.

;) We all get to choose our 'issues'.

We don't have to discuss our private personal problems to put our 'issues' into perspective. :)

We each get to decide what 'bugs' us and what we plan to do about it.

I don't want the 'steward' getting and toasting our bagel nor do I wish to 'ask' for a danish.

Just my personal preference and though we fully enjoyed two weeks on Westerdam a year ago, this week, we will not be sailing Westerdam again until Neptune Lounge is restored to what all the other ships offer. We have it on other ships and expect it on all HAL ships. It's about consistency and expectation of product.... for us.

Edited by sail7seas

Is this a recent change for the Westerdam? We have had 3 or 4 SC suites on the Oosterdam and one on the Westerdam, which was about 2 years ago. Both Neptunes were virtually the same, and very adequate. There was a carousel in the center with a nice selection, a coffee and tea bar, and another small counter with different breads in the morning and cookies/candy in the afternoon. Is that no longer the case? I'm looking forward to the Westerdam Neptune in 2 weeks. While it certainly won't ruin my cruise, I hope it hasn't changed a lot.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This new policy began the 1st of March 2013. We were on the ship beginning the 3rd week of March for 20 days. And we weren't even able to ask for anything extra. There were no breads, pastries, cookies, candy, etc. We only had what was under the dome.

Then sometime this past summer, a note was put on the sideboard where you could ask the concierges for things like bread or bagels to toast. The toaster was brought back onto the sideboard.

We did an upsell to an SA because my husband enjoys the Neptune lounge treats, getting his bagel in the am. I will report back next week.

Thanks, Carol.

Please do let us know if they finally restore Westerdam's Neptune to what all other ships provide.

Have a great cruise. :)

It seems really odd that this is the one ship in the HAL fleet to offer less of a product in the Neptune Lounge - was there maybe a change in Hotel Manager? Or I wonder if HAL is testing this out to gauge the reaction of their higher-paying customers, and it could become the norm on the other ships eventually.