Crown & Anchor points denied

Can anyone please define the word complimentary , just had an email from crown & anchor society denying us crown & anchor points for our next cruise as they say it is a complimentary cruise as we used future cruise credits and cash to pay for it.

These credits were from a cruise we had to cancel last year on medical grounds. We lost 45% of our payment . We thought we were doing the right thing by requesting FCLs instead of a cash refund. Now we cruise and miss out on 22 C&A points grrrrr so wrong Royal Caribbean !!!!!!

Had we received a cash refund and paid for it by cash we would be entitled to the points

Regards Rob

Can anyone please define the word complimentary , just had an email from crown & anchor society denying us crown & anchor points for our next cruise as they say it is a complimentary cruise as we used future cruise credits and cash to pay for it.

These credits were from a cruise we had to cancel last year on medical grounds. We lost 45% of our payment . We thought we were doing the right thing by requesting FCLs instead of a cash refund. Now we cruise and miss out on 22 C&A points grrrrr so wrong Royal Caribbean !!!!!!

Had we received a cash refund and paid for it by cash we would be entitled to the points

Regards Rob

Did you receive points for the cancelled cruise? No, of course not. Call back and get a different person. This sounds like an absurd mistake to me.

Hi, that sounds like a lose lose situation because as the OP has mentioned you did not get points for the cancelled cruise. You have actually ended up paying 145% for this cruise and certainly deserve the points. It is not like you are complaining about the 45% you have lost or are expecting extra points for the extra payment?!?!

I would definitely call them and query it. They should be pleased that you did not ask for a cash refund as you may not have ended up booking another cruise. By transferring it to another cruise they were keeping your custom!

Go up the food chain. That can't be right. Thousands of us had fully paid cruises cancelled due to the Grandeur fire. I haven't taken my replacement cruise yet, but those who have would be screaming by now if they didn't get points for their replacement cruise. I'm not the only one who transferred the booking and the future cruise credits instead of taking a cash refund.

Did you have insurance?

My in-laws have only not bought insurance once--when booking very close to sailing and figuring they were "safe" without it.

Of course, that is the cruise my mother in law ended up in the hospital 10 days prior and they had to cancel the cruise.

Royal was, IMO, WONDERFUL and gave them future cruise certs for half the amount they had paid on the cancelled cruise (even though Royal was under NO obligation to do anything at all for my in laws under the circumstances). I know that my in laws did not receive C&A points for the cruise they took with those certs later on; since the certs were a good will gesture on RCI's part to begin with.

Now, OP if you had insurance and the certificates were from that, an not simply good will, then YES I agree you should fight for those points.

Edited by NHDisneylover

Did you have insurance?

My in-laws have only not bought insurance once--when booking very close to sailing and figuring they were "safe" without it.

Of course, that is the cruise my mother in law ended up in the hospital 10 days prior and they had to cancel the cruise.

Royal was, IMO, WONDERFUL and gave them future cruise certs for half the amount they had paid on the cancelled cruise (even though Royal was under NO obligation to do anything at all for my in laws under the circumstances). I know that my in laws did not receive C&A points for the cruise they took with those certs later on; since the certs were a good will gesture on RCI's part to begin with.

Now, OP if you had insurance and the certificates were from that, an not simply good will, then YES I agree you should fight for those points.

That's what it sounded like to me as well.

Normally if you cancel of your choice under the contract outside final payment, there's no question of choosing future cruise credit, you get an automatic refund. And you don't need to justify the grounds as medical, it can be for any reason.

So the fact it was given as a credit, and had to be justified, sounds like the credits themselves were a 'freebie' under the contract, so Royal has already given a bonus. If that's the case, they're just saying that the credits are bonus alone, and you don't get points on top of them. Sounds reasonable to me.

Did you have insurance?

If this is the case and they won't issue the full C&A points then I would push for a pro- rated number of points based on the cash portion that you actually paid.

If this is the case and they won't issue the full C&A points then I would push for a pro- rated number of points based on the cash portion that you actually paid.

See, we saw the $1500 dollars in credit that RCI gave my in laws, as a huge gift--no way were they (or we) going to ask for MORE than that. To ME, that would be ungrateful and also dissuade RCI from doing a nice thing now and again and being generous enough to help out a little with lost money when a customer has an unforeseen issue and did not buy insurance. We felt many lines would not have done anything for them (in fact, it was our first RCI, and my own family still sailed and were not highly impressed overall, but gave them another chance because they were so nice about the cancellation--obviously subsequent cruises were better and now we sail RCI often)

Edited by NHDisneylover

Regards Rob

Rob, if you had to pay anything for this cruise, they you have earned the points. Email Adam Goldstein at agoldstein@rccl.com

Not saying technically right or wrong, but on the balance, I would tend to agree that you aren't entitled to more than pro-rated points.

But, then again, if you cancelled the original cruise after making final payment and RCCL is under no obligation to give you any refund, but chose to give you about half towards a future cruise.... I would tend to count my blessings and not complain too much.

Maybe this is an issue of "Hey, you were really nice to me before, now I want you to be even nicer." Not sure thats reasonable. Consider how nice RCCL has been before you throw them under the bus too far.

Will be interested in hearing results of this.

Rob, if you had to pay anything for this cruise, they you have earned the points. Email Adam Goldstein at agoldstein@rccl.com

Patti is, of course, correct.

If you book a free cruise using Visa points, no C&A points. Pay to upgrade to a balcony = you get the points.

It is a good analogy. If you pay SOMETHING towards your cruise beyond "freebies", you get the points.

Ask anyone on a poker cruise, like the one coming up on the Oasis on December 7.

I don't think Pattie said you do not get points for Visa Awards?

You are wrong about the Visa points. They are treated the same as cash.

I use them all the time. Pay for cruise with my credit card and receive a credit on my credit card for the amount I redeemed on the Awards. I have always received C&A points on my Visa award points.

I would think a poker cruise is different than Visa Awards.

Edited by dealer9296

I can see others opinion about the fact the FCC's were a "bonus" or nice thing for RCI to do in the situation.

That said, I truly view the points as being for each sailed night. Regardless of how much I paid or didn't pay. If I am on the ship and sail then I would think it should be documented and receive a cruise point for each night.

I guess that is my opinion and not shared by all--because I would expect to get the points regardless of whether I fully paid or partially paid, etc. I think it's a little cheap of them to not award Cruise Points for each night in those scenarios. Afterall, they do double points in a suite, past Diamonds in December promotions, etc.

I use them all the time. Pay for cruise with my credit card and receive a credit on my credit card for the amount I redeemed on the Awards. I have always received C&A points on my Visa award points.

Ok, so I made up the wrong analogy. The rest of my post stands. :D

If you have earned a free cruise, through whatever means, and pay nothing towards that cruise you do not earn points.

If you are redeeming Visa Points towards a Free Cruise, C&A will tell you that you must pay at least $1.00 in order to earn your points.

The Poker Cruise is no different than a Free Cruise booked with Visa Points. When you pay nothing towards a cruise, you do not earn points.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks guys for your balanced comments.

The cruise we had to cancel last year was cancelled 32 days prior to sailing

which entitled us to a 50% refund . We had insurance but no cancellation cover.

In asking for FCLs we thought we were doing the right thing as we wanted to cruise as soon as we possible could.

I am not complaining about what we lost in cancellation fees.

Just cant fathom how this can be deemed a complimentary cruise as stated we could have received a cash refund, and paid for this cruise 7Th Dec in cash and be entitled to the C&A points.

I have gone to the top with the C&A society and their reply was they cannot reverse any decision that comes out of Miami , hmm.

The guys here in Australia have been pretty good and have referred it to customer service, awaiting their reply will advise hopefully a positive outcome

Rob

In asking for FCLs we thought we were doing the right thing as we wanted to cruise as soon as we possible could.

Just cant fathom how this can be deemed a complimentary cruise as stated we could have received a cash refund, and paid for this cruise 7Th Dec in cash and be entitled to the C&A points.

I have gone to the top with the C&A society and their reply was they cannot reverse any decision that comes out of Miami , hmm.

The guys here in Australia have been pretty good and have referred it to customer service, awaiting their reply will advise hopefully a positive outcome

Rob

Take Patti's advice and write to Adam Goldstein. (really, his office)

agoldstein@rccl.com

Rob

Ok... a little clarity goes a long way. Yep, I would agree you should get points. They gave you the credits you deserved, so since you paid for those credits snd they weren't "a gift", you should get full points.

Time to move up the food chain.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

Not saying technically right or wrong, but on the balance, I would tend to agree that you aren't entitled to more than pro-rated points.

But, then again, if you cancelled the original cruise after making final payment and RCCL is under no obligation to give you any refund, but chose to give you about half towards a future cruise.... I would tend to count my blessings and not complain too much.

Maybe this is an issue of "Hey, you were really nice to me before, now I want you to be even nicer." Not sure thats reasonable. Consider how nice RCCL has been before you throw them under the bus too far.

Will be interested in hearing results of this.

Even if it is after the final payment date you do get some refund even if it is only the taxes and fees as per

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Effective August 1, 2010, new reservations will fall under the following cancellation schedule:

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+-------------------------------------No charges

59-43-----------------------------------Deposit amount

42-29-----------------------------------50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)

28-15-----------------------------------75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)

14 or less -------------------------------No refund except for taxes and fees

6 Nights or longer

75+--------------------------------------No charges

74-57------------------------------------Deposit amount

56-29------------------------------------50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)

28-15------------------------------------75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)

14 or less --------------------------------No refund except for taxes and fees[

Edited by robtulipe