Forced to pre-pay gratuities??

a3593

The major problem is only MTD is available 9-12 months out. RCI wants you to jump thru a few hoops and then Maybe they will give you traditional seating. People are finding only MTD is available until after final payment with gratuities has already been made.

You can be placed on a wait list for traditional Dining, and remove the prepaid gratuities at that time. Most of the time they are able to move people, but not always.

Either pay early or later.. Either way they are paid, so it doesn't make much difference to my pocketbook.

Edited by Pebbles468

You can be placed on a wait list for traditional Dining, and remove the prepaid gratuities at that time. Most of the time they are able to move people, but not always.

Either pay early or later.. Either way they are paid, so it doesn't make much difference to my pocketbook.

That is exactly what I did on my upcoming cruise. As soon as I was placed in early dining I called C&A and the removed the charge for the gratuities. It's less due at final payment. I'll pay them through the daily charge on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I much prefer the prepaid grats.

However, I do find it odd that for our last 2 cruises, we booked a full 9-10 months in advance, yet there are no traditional dining times available - only MTD, which forces the prepaid grats. I actually don't mind this, so I am not complaining, but I struggle to believe that all traditional dining times are booked 10 months out.

I wondered the same thing. Booked 2 cruises with RCL this year one booked 18 mos in advance had no main dining spaces available. The other cruise for next mos we were told the same thing. Is this the new way to ensure gratuity?

I wondered the same thing. Booked 2 cruises with RCL this year one booked 18 mos in advance had no main dining spaces available. The other cruise for next mos we were told the same thing. Is this the new way to ensure gratuity?

My understanding is that when TAs book group spaces they also book the traditional seating, which can mean that it gets 'sold out' early if lots of rooms are being held by TAs. As time goes on, some of those rooms will be released back or the people in those rooms might actually choose MTD which means again that space in traditional dining is released back.

We had anytime dining on Carnival and had to pre-pay our gratituities. I believe it is industry wide for anytime/mytime whatever it is called on a cruise line - not just RCI.

Princess does not charge gratuities ahead of the cruise no matter which option you choose. They also allow you to reserve shore excursions ahead of the cruise and pay for them once on the ship with cancellation allowed on most excursions up to 24 hours before the excursion.

What does it matter if you are going to pay them in the end anyways. I'm not seeing an issue here.

Because you can't use any OBC to pay them when they are paid in advance and OBC can be used when they are paid on the ship. That goes for both gratuities and excursions.

Is that a reasonable enough issue?

New to RCI, and I booked the Vision out of Colon, Panama next April. I can't wait! However, the rep on the phone advised that I must pre-pay gratuities because the only dining option left at this time is your time dining. I went along with it, but it just sounded odd. Is this the norm?

We always pre=pay it is easier to have it done before hand. you could do the tips on board but they do charge you on your set sail account the gratuities PP per day.

What does it matter if you are going to pay them in the end anyways. I'm not seeing an issue here.

Another difference between pre-paying on Royal and paying on board is that prepaid tips cannot be removed.

The major problem is only MTD is available 9-12 months out. RCI wants you to jump thru a few hoops and then Maybe they will give you traditional seating. People are finding only MTD is available until after final payment with gratuities has already been made.

We had a similar problem a couple of years ago, when we booked one of our Celebrity cruises. It was over ten months out, and most cabins were showing as "available". But the booking rep told us that both first and second seating were already full, and MTD was all that was available. We prefer second seating, and have never had trouble getting that, before -- so, DH waited on hold for a supervisor. The supervisor he spoke to said 'no problem' and immediately signed us up for second seating. :confused:

I just find it interesting that this is being reported more and more on RCCL lines (who, I believe share a pool of booking agents). I'm wondering if the booking reps have some sort of quota to fill for MTD, or if they get a commission for bookings with it. Clearly, RCCL enjoys having the "float" of all those pre-paid gratuities. :rolleyes:

Just got back from a RCL and it is 12 day per person I was told I could cash tip and remove. I am okay with the charge the other problem is if I am travel with a minor that never eats in the dinning area. Sounds a little strong at 12 day.

they give us the choice to use the service or not and the charge is the same.