Allure to take Oasis dry dock slot?

I don't understand where people are getting there information about the dry docking of Allure. So far only one media source is saying that there is a possibility that Allure will take Oasis's spot in Rotterdam this coming fall.

The problem is that both Allure and Oasis are too wide to fit in most of the dry docks that the other ships use. One such dry dock is in Freeport, Bahamas. The Freedom class can dry dock at that facility however, Oasis and Allure are to wide to be serviced there. The only place that Oasis and Allure can be dry docked on the Eastern Coast is at Norfolk Naval Yard. However, the US Navy had precedent over anyone else. That is why Oasis is scheduled to go to Rotterdam in 2014 and Allure to follow her the following year. There aren't many dry docks in the world that can service these ships. In addition the dry dock facility has to be in the climate where the Central Park plants won't be effected greatly.

Let's just wait and see what RCI has planned for Allure in the coming weeks or months. If I was a betting man, I would say that Allure will take Oasis's spot in the fall. However, its a waiting game to see what RCI really has planned.

Actually the route of using the Oasis' dry dock slot would save RCCL the most money as no cruises would be disrupted. People that were going across the pond on the Oasis would go on the Allure, as long as she can keep the schedule, the Allure cruises would go on the Oasis and the same when the Oasis takes the Allure dry dock slot.

If they need to replace a pod on the Allure, I'm sure they will need plenty of time to get one built as I'm sure there isn't one of those azipods just laying around!

I'm sure they want to get the Allure fixed as soon as possible, but since it probably needs to go to a dry dock that can fit this size of ship, their options are limited, so the option of using the Oasis dry dock schedule might be their best option.

This is just an opinion of a regular cruiser, not a professional ship repairman!:rolleyes::eek::D

Keith

There are usually a spare Azipod that is laying around in storage for a issue like this. However, remember that Oasis 3 is being built. They can take an Azipod that is scheduled for that ship and put it on Allure and then repair Allure's Azipod and put it on Oasis 3.

HAL had a similar issue a few years back. At the end of the Mexican Rivera season she the Oosterdam had a failing Azipod. She went into dry dock in Victoria where they put a spare pod on her. Her other pod was sent back to the builders and refurbished. At the end of her Alaskan season she went back into dry dock at the same facility in Victoria and was given back her refurbished pod. I believe that is what Celebrity's Millennium had done also a month or two ago.

Is a 5 year drydock a Requirement (and if so, required by who?) versus something that needs to be done sometime, and 5 years is the norm?

The Oasis is classified until 10/28/2014 (see here check Status). The Allure is classified until 10/28/2015. So the Oasis dry dock is already at the far end of her current classification. That´s why I think it´s pretty unlikely that the Oasis and Allure just "swap" their dry dock slots. The current classification can´t be renewed without a dry dock.

Goffrey is correct, there´s only Norfolk Navy Yard which has dry dock big enough for the Oasis class to fit in. And it´s pretty unlikely that the Navy will "rent" it out.

Jan/Feb 2014 sounds like a plan for the Allure. But also Rotterdam by that time of the year won´t be an ideal environment for the Central Park plants. So they may have to put them off the ship in Fort Lauderdale.

steamboats

The Oasis is classified until 10/28/2014 (see here check Status). The Allure is classified until 10/28/2015. So the Oasis dry dock is already at the far end of her current classification. That´s why I think it´s pretty unlikely that the Oasis and Allure just "swap" their dry dock slots. The current classification can´t be renewed without a dry dock.

Goffrey is correct, there´s only Norfolk Navy Yard which has dry dock big enough for the Oasis class to fit in. And it´s pretty unlikely that the Navy will "rent" it out.

Jan/Feb 2014 sounds like a plan for the Allure. But also Rotterdam by that time of the year won´t be an ideal environment for the Central Park plants. So they may have to put them off the ship in Fort Lauderdale.

steamboats

There looks like the certification can be extended. Probably they could get a waiver for an extension due to a situation like the one that is being experienced.

As long as we are all speculating wildly, I'll take a stab at it :p

I think that IF RCI is given an exemption an allowed to keep their certification on Oasis until next year, when Allure would have dry docked, that they will swap the ships and their itineraries for this fall.

From RCI's standpoint, that would be much less costly than cancelling a bunch of Allure cruises, and it would displace far fewer passengers.

IF that does happen, my guess that everyone booked on Allure this fall will be moved to the Oasis and those booked on Oasis TAs and European cruises will be shuffled onto Allure.

The Aug 24 sailing of Allure would be cut short by one day and become a 6 night cruise.

The 2 night cruise, currently scheduled on the Oasis for Aug 30-Sept 1 would be cancelled.

(Oasis would sit empty for one night, the night of the 30th)

Allure could then leave two days early for the TA, making it a 14 night instead of a 12 night to allow for a slower moving ship with propulsion issues.

In that way, only three sailings are affected and of those, only one is outright cancelled (and that is only a 2 night). There would need to be compensation (and an option to cancel at no penalty even for guests from outside the US/Canada) for those on the shortened Aug 24 sailing and I would hope that RCI would do the right thing and not raise the price on the TA for all those already booked on it (as is, that could wreak havoc for people who already have flights booked, etc--I think some token OBC credit for those already booked would also be in order).

If RCI is not allowed to delay recertifcation/classification on Oasis, then my money is on the February dry dock in February (but that would, I think, mean a minimum of 6 weeks worth of cruise cancellations, so I imagine they are working hard to find a way to avoid this).

Edited by NHDisneylover

i wonder how long they can let it go for with out damaging the other pods

Operating the ship on two azipods instead of three does not increase the stress or wear on the operational azipods, only the top speed. As long as remaining pods do not exceed their design limits, it's just normal wear. The Independence had a similar issue with it's center fixed pod and the ship ran for over two years without the blades on the pod to reduce drag. They were able to hold off repairs for that long of time since the itinerary did not require the ship to travel at full speed.

Edited by BillB48

rumor or not, there is reason for concern. "something" is in the works. one news source has come out saying something, and RC has not come out to comment on it. You'd think they'd quickly make a statement saying, "...this is untrue, we have no interest in putting AOS into an early drydock" -- right? am i crazy to think that?

i'm uneasy for our 3/30/14 trip, i cant log onto the reservation online - i get this message: "The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation."

its been like that for 3 days, might be time to call and see what's up.

rumor or not, there is reason for concern. "something" is in the works. one news source has come out saying something, and RC has not come out to comment on it. You'd think they'd quickly make a statement saying, "...this is untrue, we have no interest in putting AOS into an early drydock" -- right? am i crazy to think that?

i'm uneasy for our 3/30/14 trip, i cant log onto the reservation online - i get this message: "The system is currently unable to handle your request for retrieving your reservation."

its been like that for 3 days, might be time to call and see what's up.

While we as cruisers want answers, it often takes time for the cruise line to come to a viable option.

The fact that we are talking about the largest ship sailing just makes it even more problematic when it comes to logistics.

Obviously it's just rumor at this point, but I agree that February would make sense... optimal timing (only risk is hitting the northeast school vacation week, which they could probably avoid) and there's probably just enough time that they could try to reaccommodate a large chunk of the guests. I think most here would agree they can't have Allure limping around for another full year.

The airfare situation is tricky, but if RCI is feeling particularly generous (which they may well be in this type of situation) they could offer to reimburse passengers for their change fees, even those who didn't book Choice Air. I don't think that would be unprecedented.

Obviously it's just rumor at this point, but I agree that February would make sense... optimal timing (only risk is hitting the northeast school vacation week, which they could probably avoid) and there's probably just enough time that they could try to reaccommodate a large chunk of the guests. I think most here would agree they can't have Allure limping around for another full year.

The airfare situation is tricky, but if RCI is feeling particularly generous (which they may well be in this type of situation) they could offer to reimburse passengers for their change fees, even those who didn't book Choice Air. I don't think that would be unprecedented.

Disney covered change fees for air when they cancelled a Med cruise a couple of years back, as well as providing $500 OBC for those who were able to change to another date.

I also agree that February would make sense

So the potential here is they cancel about 6 week cruises in Jan/Feb and replace with 2 12nt crossings TA and 2wk dry dock. If it goes to Rotterdam they will do the full works rather than have to repeat crossings the following year.

As for plants - I'm sure the cost to replace any of them will pale insignificant compared to dry dock and cruise reimburse costs!!

What you posters don't understand is that sometimes a dry dock isn't available for a ship to come in as an emergency. While January or February might be nice for all of us, the ship yard that Allure has to go to might already have a ship scheduled for maintenance. They can't just bump that ship out and put Allure in there. A lot of things must happen before this something like this happens.

I would gather the smartest thing and most economical thing for RCI is to put Allure in Oasis's dry dock spot and then move Oasis to Allure's spot. Another thing is that the Azipod has to be prepared to be replaced on Allure. This takes time, it might not be ready in time for February. Also it is expensive and time consuming to replace all of those plants so the dry dock will probably happen when the climate is ok for the plants.

What you posters don't understand is that sometimes a dry dock isn't available for a ship to come in as an emergency. While January or February might be nice for all of us, the ship yard that Allure has to go to might already have a ship scheduled for maintenance. They can't just bump that ship out and put Allure in there. A lot of things must happen before this something like this happens.

I would gather the smartest thing and most economical thing for RCI is to put Allure in Oasis's dry dock spot and then move Oasis to Allure's spot. Another thing is that the Azipod has to be prepared to be replaced on Allure. This takes time, it might not be ready in time for February. Also it is expensive and time consuming to replace all of those plants so the dry dock will probably happen when the climate is ok for the plants.

Wow, that comes across as awfully condescending. Actually, I think people DO fully understand that. They also understand that Oasis's certification s nearly up and there has been no source at all saying that will be or can be extended.

I think it is just as probable that an opening does exist, or could be made, to rush Allure into dry dock in February, as it is that Oasis will be granted an extension allowing a delay in hers.

Just because someone does not agree with you, does not mean they do not understand the situation.

We don't understand but you get it all? You actually did not say anything that has not already been speculated on in this thread, and the other big one, already.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Sorry, some of you are basing your information on "1Northstar'" who has only 68 posts and states he has reliable source. The most reliable source I have is the news article in Travel Weekly, which has Mr Fain saying there is a possibility that Allure is going to take Oasis's spot in Rotterdam. No where does it say that they are thinking of a February dry dock, except what "1Northstar" posted.

Edited by GPoll189

So the potential here is they cancel about 6 week cruises in Jan/Feb and replace with 2 12nt crossings TA and 2wk dry dock. If it goes to Rotterdam they will do the full works rather than have to repeat crossings the following year.

As for plants - I'm sure the cost to replace any of them will pale insignificant compared to dry dock and cruise reimburse costs!!

I'm sure they could put a temporary "roof" over central park to protect the plants and keep them heated if they needed to, would be pretty easy.

Keith

The USS Gerald Ford was just christened days ago in the dry dock #12 in Newport News,VA. She should be moved shortly to a fitting out dock.

This leaves dry dock #12 empty until they start assembling the new USS John Kennedy.

It would take the Allure two days to get from Port Everglades to VA. If the part(s)are availlable, she could conceivably be repaired while only missing 2 weeks of cruises.

(Once the keel is laid for the Kennedy, dry dock #12 won't be available until at east 2018!)

Aloha,

John