No to request for email quote

SSPhone

So last week I contacted one of the cruise critic endorsed (by way of CC Newsletter) travel agents. After waiting 2 days to talk to the agent I was finally able to talk to her and was quoted for a B2B cruise next April. Since I was driving I asked for the quote to be emailed to me. I was told NO. They don't email quotes. I asked for contact info for email correspondence once again NO. I explained how hard it was to reach an agent by phone since they were just so busy and you had to wait hours or days for a return call.

So my search for a Travel agent partner continues.

Still find it strange they don't do email. Anyone else have/had this issue?

The problem with emailing a quote for a cruise is that sometimes, by the time the quote is sent and received, the price changes and it can no longer be honored. Even though a disclaimer may be on the quote, people often believe that once it's in writing, it's set and there is no way to change it.

As for not giving you an email contact, that I don't know about. But as for not emailing prices, maybe that's their thinking.

I would THINK you could get a quote that's good for at least 24 hours. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I guess I really was very lucky to have found my TA OH so long ago!

Unless they do a courtesy hold, the quote really can change rather quickly because the cruise lines control the pricing. I worked with a TA for our last cruise and did it all via email but she was very clear to let me know that no rates are guaranteed until the reservation was booked. So maybe some agents are not as comfortable taking that chance you would not understand this and would be upset with them if the price changed. It is most likely a personal preference by each agent.

I do all of my TA correspondence via e-mail. I also do not like to have to wait for days for a return call, and then have it come when I am not available to answer.:mad: That happened to me twice. Never used those TA's again. I don't care who endorses them. I am happy to have found a TA who responds within 24 hours - most of the time it is within the hour. All of the quotes sent to me clearly state they are good for 24 hours. They can do this by putting a cabin on hold for me until I respond. If I don't respond quickly that cabin is released and I know I risk having to pay a higher price if there is a price increase.

I do all of my TA correspondence via e-mail. I also do not like to have to wait for days for a return call, and then have it come when I am not available to answer.:mad: That happened to me twice. Never used those TA's again. I don't care who endorses them. I am happy to have found a TA who responds within 24 hours - most of the time it is within the hour. All of the quotes sent to me clearly state they are good for 24 hours. They can do this by putting a cabin on hold for me until I respond. If I don't respond quickly that cabin is released and I know I risk having to pay a higher price if there is a price increase.

ditto

Unless they do a courtesy hold' date=' the quote really can change rather quickly because the cruise lines control the pricing. I worked with a TA for our last cruise and did it all via email but she was very clear to let me know that no rates are guaranteed until the reservation was booked. So maybe some agents are not as comfortable taking that chance you would not understand this and would be upset with them if the price changed. It is most likely a personal preference by each agent.[/quote']

Our TA does both - over the phone and email price quotes - but she does a 24 hour hold on the cabin category (or perhaps she does hold a specific cabin.... not sure) while making it clear that the 24 hour limit is firm and the price may change after that.

Edited by joepeka

I would be fine with a Quote valid for 24 Hr. I was driving home and they close at 5PM so I knew I couldn't call them back after 5 as I tried the night before at 5:06PM, had to leave another message that wasn't returned until 2:30 the next day.

Guess I'll go back to booking direct with RCCL, they don't have a problem emailing a quote. I was just trying one of the sites that promise extra's when you book with them.

If you were driving couldn't the agent have put a courtesy hold and then the next day put down a deposit if the price was to your liking? I think a good agent could say"I realize your driving why don't I put it on hold and then I can call you back tomorrow or you can call me when its best for you".

Then when you get home you can do your research and if the price is good call the agent back and give him/her the payment info for the deposit.

My TA answers me the way I ask. So if I call her, she gives me the price that way. If I email, then she emails me her quote. It's never an issue. She's amazing in so many ways. I'd get a new TA.