beverage package

melissa

We were thinking about purchasing the signature beverage package. We are wine drinkers. Per the website only drinks less then $7 are included. In looking at wine lists there appears to be only about 3 wines less then $7. On our recent ncl cruise it included all wine less then $10. Can the $7 limit really be correct?

The package is really geared to people who have a couple of drinks at the pool(usually not wine), cocktails before/after dinne. r. More drinks after dinner. We usually have drinks before dinner ( not saying we don't have a drink during the day, but not usually) purchase a wine package and have after dinner drinks. Working the costs -- the package isn't worth it for us -- we don't spend $50 per day.

We were thinking about purchasing the signature beverage package. We are wine drinkers. Per the website only drinks less then $7 are included. In looking at wine lists there appears to be only about 3 wines less then $7. On our recent ncl cruise it included all wine less then $10. Can the $7 limit really be correct?

If you are primarily wine drinkers, then the package will not appeal IMO.

I agree with the others - the house wines are not great at all. The more expensive wines by the glass are o.k.

If you like cocktails/mixed drinks, specialty coffees, etc. the package is good for the right person.

We just signed up for a cruise that offered the drink package in the cost, so we'll be interested to see what's available for us. I know I'll use it for a nice latte in the morning and we both want sodas. I'm not much of a drinker but do enjoy a few drinks when on vacation so it will be nice not having to worry about paying extra for them. How difficult is it to get mixed drinks like Martinis since the rule is $7 and under? What type of beer selection do they have on board (I can't stand most american beers and drink dark ales, porters and stouts mostly)?

We just signed up for a cruise that offered the drink package in the cost, so we'll be interested to see what's available for us. I know I'll use it for a nice latte in the morning and we both want sodas. I'm not much of a drinker but do enjoy a few drinks when on vacation so it will be nice not having to worry about paying extra for them. How difficult is it to get mixed drinks like Martinis since the rule is $7 and under? What type of beer selection do they have on board (I can't stand most american beers and drink dark ales, porters and stouts mostly)?

I always tease my DH that he only cruises HAL because he can get his Grolsch. It's his favorite beer.

Lets put this beverage package into perspective. Assuming we focused on alcohol we would have to order 7 cocktails (per day) to make the package pay. Not sure we have seen many HA cruisers drinking 7 cocktails a day (many HA passengers are ready for bed by 9pm without adult beverage enhancement). Now, personally, I really enjoy single malt scotches, cognac, and drinkable wine. With this package there is not one single malt scotch covered and zero cognacs covered. In addition, the few wines served by the glass are, for many folks, barely drinkable. This might be OK if HA was to allow us to only pay the difference between the $6.99 package drinks and better items....but we are not aware of any such policy.

So, this leaves us with a thought. If the drink package was simply tossed in as a booking incentive this would be fine. But many seem to think that HA simply charges higher cruise prices when they include the drink package....which means the promotion might be somewhat of a ripoff. DW and I do enjoy adult beverages and take advantage of the HA Happy Hours (2nd drink is a dollar....for bar brands). We also drink wine with every dinner, but usually buy the Navigator or Admiral Package which we get at a 50% discount. The cost of a single glass of wine for the Navigator Package (based on getting 5 glasses per bottle) amounts to about $4 for 4 Star Mariners. On our most recent HA cruise (28 day Veendam cruise finished this past Saturday) we averaged about $33 per passenger day for all beverages. Guess HA has done similar calculations and determined that the drink package will be profitable for HA....(not the passenger). One amusing facet of the HA package is that limit drinks to no more then 15 per day! So if somebody bought 15 expressos....they would not be able to get a single adult beverages. Of course with that much expresso we would be bouncing off the bulkheads (even when the ship was not moving) :)

Hank

Many, if not most, cocktails and mixed drinks cost $6.95, so they do meet the Signature package limit.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate that. I might get to try some things I normally might not pay for this way.

One amusing facet of the HA package is that limit drinks to no more then 15 per day! So if somebody bought 15 expressos....they would not be able to get a single adult beverages.

Of course at a (I assume market value) price of $4 each, that would still come out to money saved for them. :)

Edited by sherilyn70

So if somebody bought 15 expressos....they would not be able to get a single adult beverages. Of course with that much expresso we would be bouncing off the bulkheads (even when the ship was not moving) :)

I believe the 15 drink limit is alcoholic. Not that I would ever hit it.

I believe the 15 drink limit is alcoholic. Not that I would ever hit it.

The rep I booked with last night said 15 beverages of any kind per person per day. Reading the description I also get that same impression.

"Includes wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas and coffee (a daily limit applies)"

The rep I booked with last night said 15 beverages of any kind per person per day. Reading the description I also get that same impression.

When we booked, our TA went one further and explained that the signature beverage package that comes with the Explore 4 promotion also has a $50 per person cap on it per day -- so if you were ordering $4 things the most you could get would be twelve of them for $48. if ordering $6.95 beverages, the most you could get would be seven of them for $49. I'm just thrilled to be sailing and will enjoy the flexibility of having a drink when I want one whether it's a coffee, wine, beer or foo foo drink. DH said he will be happy to drink his allotment in Alaskan beers.

The package allows for the large size bottled waters,world class beers,fancy coffee drinks,wine,and a collection of over 100 cocktails. Not sure why someone would talk about having 15 expressos or even having 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. The combination of what I described is really not excessive to have. What I see as being the worst aspect of this is the low quality of the housewines. Lots of people may have 7 alcoholic drinks in a day plus the fancy coffee drinks.plus the bottled waters and easily have paid for this package on a daily basis.Not for everyone but a good deal for many who choose to use it. It can be fun to try the drink of the day or have a fancy coffee drink for something different. This package was quite popular on our Alaska cruise this summer.

When we booked, our TA went one further and explained that the signature beverage package that comes with the Explore 4 promotion also has a $50 per person cap on it per day -- so if you were ordering $4 things the most you could get would be twelve of them for $48. if ordering $6.95 beverages, the most you could get would be seven of them for $49. I'm just thrilled to be sailing and will enjoy the flexibility of having a drink when I want one whether it's a coffee, wine, beer or foo foo drink. DH said he will be happy to drink his allotment in Alaskan beers.

What you're referring to is the beverage card versus the beverage package being offered in the promotion. I'm actually getting the package since this is a Canada/NE cruise.

Signature Beverage Package:

A value of $100 per day, per stateroom ($50 per person)

Includes wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas and coffee (a daily limit applies)

Applies to beverages priced up to $7 (menu price)

Beverage service charge covered by Holland America Line

Excludes Caribbean and Mexico sailings, and the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys (other exclusions apply)

Beverage Card:

Guests sailing on select Caribbean and Mexico sailings will receive a Beverage Card

A value of $100 per stateroom ($50 Beverage Card per person)

The Beverage Card applies to alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages

Free $50 Beverage Card applies only to select Caribbean and Mexico sailings. The Beverage Card may be used to purchase beverages or other eligible items at payment terminals aboard the ship. No balance may be carried on the Beverage Card after the end of the cruise. Unused portion of card will not be refunded at the end of the cruise. This card cannot be redeemed for cash and is not replaceable if lost or stolen.

Edited by sherilyn70

Signature Beverage Package:

A value of $100 per day, per stateroom ($50 per person)

We are going to Alaska and also have the Signature Beverage Package not the card and our agent said the package is good for every day of the cruise but is limited to $50 per person/$100 per cabin per day.

The package allows for the large size bottled waters,world class beers,fancy coffee drinks,wine,and a collection of over 100 cocktails. Not sure why someone would talk about having 15 expressos or even having 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. The combination of what I described is really not excessive to have. What I see as being the worst aspect of this is the low quality of the housewines. Lots of people may have 7 alcoholic drinks in a day plus the fancy coffee drinks.plus the bottled waters and easily have paid for this package on a daily basis.Not for everyone but a good deal for many who choose to use it. It can be fun to try the drink of the day or have a fancy coffee drink for something different. This package was quite popular on our Alaska cruise this summer.

I think you missed my point (posted earlier). You are correct that there is no shortage of drink options at the $6.99 level. In fact, some of the concoctions served on HA are darn good. However, all those drinks are made with bar-brand booze products which might be adequate for many folks. However, for those of us who enjoy decent types of alcoholic products the package is utterly worthless. Say I want to order one of the cheapest single-malt scotches offered on HA (the line has an awful collection of single malts). I believe the cheapest would be the basic Glenfiddich which costs several dollars over the $6.99 package limit per drink. Or perhaps I would want to order a low priced Cognac. This might be a basic cognac such as Courvoisier VS....but this is also priced well over the $6.99 limit.

Celebrity faced this same issue when they designed their very popular beverage package....called "Classic." So they also came out with a Premium Package (for about $10 a day more then the Classic Package) which includes many premium types of booze (I think these sell for up to $12.99 per drink). And then Celebrity went one step further and allowed Premium Package folks to buy even more expensive types of booze and only pay the additional cost over $12.99. Of course we have found that Celebrity generally carries a much better selection of alcohol products (including whiskey, liquors, beers, and wines) then we get on HA.

Hank

I think having different levels of quality of high end drinks is great. I think I would be enticed to go that way. Hopefully having drank so much of their house wines over the years hasn't ruined my tastebuds. I like it when there are options to choose from. cheers.

I think having different levels of quality of high end drinks is great. I think I would be enticed to go that way. Hopefully having drank so much of their house wines over the years hasn't ruined my tastebuds. I like it when there are options to choose from. cheers.

HA often uses a basic Santa Carolina Cab as one of their house wines (also sold by the glass). This wine retails (in the US) for about $4.50. HA's cost for this wine is most likely around $3 (HA probably pays even less since they can avoid the normal taxes). Personally, we would rate this wine somewhere well behind 2 Buck Chuck :)

Hank

Have to admit I have had many a Santa Carolina while cruising. It is definitily low on anyones scale. Actually have had 2 buck chuck while vacationing in the States,was in San Francisco.Also had many a fine wine as well while in SF? Somebody recently referred to it on this forum as now being 3 buck chuck. :-)

We are going to Alaska and also have the Signature Beverage Package not the card and our agent said the package is good for every day of the cruise but is limited to $50 per person/$100 per cabin per day.

I think your TA misunderstood the package you were getting then. The HAL representative went over this in great detail with me since I had questions about it. If you read the fine print for this package there is no mention of the plan having a dollar limit placed on it, only a drink limit. You'll notice at the bottom of the terms it states this has a $50 retail value (which is correct based on the cost of purchasing it separately) and not a cap on the cost of your drinks for the day.

Free Signature Beverage Package is not available on Caribbean and Mexico cruises—or on the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys. Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00 or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges.

I think your TA misunderstood the package you were getting then. The HAL representative went over this in great detail with me since I had questions about it. If you read the fine print for this package there is no mention of the plan having a dollar limit placed on it, only a drink limit. You'll notice at the bottom of the terms it states this has a $50 retail value (which is correct based on the cost of purchasing it separately) and not a cap on the cost of your drinks for the day. .[/color]

I LOVE your explanation much better than the one I got from our TA. We were paired with her at a HAL "Alaska on Stage" presentation given at our AAA office. We booked through her because there were OBC and other minor perks. So, if she got it wrong, the package is even better than we thought. We were just thrilled to get our dream vacation booked -- thank you for your information.

I always tease my DH that he only cruises HAL because he can get his Grolsch. It's his favorite beer.

We are with your husband, we actually drink Grolsch on HAL, Princess, NCL, Cunard.... it is an acceptable alternative to cheap wines at high prices on the cruise lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess we'll have to do some research on HALs packages - DH drinks Dewars - on NCL and RCCL they will pour DH a double by using 2 swipes of the card. A cruise line double is equivalent to what our local pub normally pours as a single - wondering both if Dewars is offered and what their policy will be for a straight pour. Me - I'm happy with Absolut or above mixed with soda or champagne or wine so it should work for me just fine. For us, it's more about convenience then cost savings - nice to walk up and have the bartenders just pour you what you drink especially in a group setting where buying rounds was the norm before the packages - but only if it offers the brands we drink in the manner we drink them - :rolleyes: