Sun or Dawn?

Swayde

Which would you recommend for first timers in NCL? We live in Tampa so it is our preferred departure port. We have been on 5 Carnival cruises and have heard great things about the shows on Norwegian so that would be the biggest factor in choosing Sun or Dawn.

We have sailed on both the Sun and the Star, which is Dawn's sister ship. Since your main focus in choosing are the shows, the theater on the Dawn is more like a traditional auditorium with rows of seats and a balcony. The Sun's theater is more like a Vegas show lounge with tables. I really don't know if this affects the quality of the shows themselves, because they both seemed fine.

Personally, I find the Sun's seating plan more comfortable.

I don't think you can go wrong with either ship.

Oh, by the way, the mini-suites on the Sun are very special, unlike the minis on other NCL ships, if that makes a difference.

Bon Voyage!

We have sailed on both the Sun and the Star, which is Dawn's sister ship. Since your main focus in choosing are the shows, the theater on the Dawn is more like a traditional auditorium with rows of seats and a balcony. The Sun's theater is more like a Vegas show lounge with tables. I really don't know if this affects the quality of the shows themselves, because they both seemed fine.

Personally, I find the Sun's seating plan more comfortable.

I don't think you can go wrong with either ship.

Oh, by the way, the mini-suites on the Sun are very special, unlike the minis on other NCL ships, if that makes a difference.

Bon Voyage!

Thank you! I do like having the use of a table during a show to set my drink down on :)

Keep in mind the tables are limited and first come, first serve. I have sailed both ships and it's a tough choice. I think the Dawn would have the slight edge because they have an actual spa that is very relaxing. The Sun has a free dry and wet sauna that are very, very small. If the spa interests you at all go with the Dawn.

Thank you! I do like having the use of a table during a show to set my drink down on :)

As pointed out, there are a few tables on the Sun in the front few rows (like the first 4) in the main show area. On the Sun the show lounge is in the back of the ship and on the Dawn it is in the front. The Sun has a Great Outdoors. The Sun is more traditional inside with more wood/brass. However, it has a small buffet. If you have kids the Dawn would be a better option because of the back pool.

ETA: The Sun has a forward facing lounge area whereas on the Dawn they moved it to the back so there isn't one anymore.

Edited by dexddd

Tough decision. The Dawn is out of Tampa this year and the Sun will go out of Tampa next year. Depending on when you want to cruise. My personal preference is the SUN. Just a little more intimate which I prefer. I love both ships as I am set to cruise on the Dawn for the 5th time in January. Both have IMO great shows. We go to them nightly. As for the tables in the theatre they are down in front. You do need to get there just a little bit early in order to get the tables and comfy chairs. I think even the regular seats have a cup holder for your drinks so you don't have to worry about placing them on a table. I think it really depends on what is important to you. The crew & staff is awesome on both. The food while subjective I have never had a bad meal or gone hungry.The Dawn is a little newer with a few more restaurants. Not sure about kids program coz cruising is my adult vacation. As Valley mentioned the mini suites on the Sun are really special. Quite a difference from any of the other ships. Actually I do believe all the rooms whether inside, OV, or balcony are a bit larger on the Sun. They do not have as many full suites on the Sun so you would get just a bit more spoiled. :D

Whatever ship you choose you can't go wrong.

Enjoy your trip. Norwegian is the best. IMO

Edited by NJLVW

Sailed on both love both but the dawn is newer has a better buffet layout but no outdoor buffet.. Theater is bigger also. But missing a observation lounge both have moderno my favorite resturant

The sun had larger inside rooms..

Can't really go wrong IMO