The "don't get to the pier early" email.. real?

bryanjaync

Got to two email from RCI saying not to get to the pier before 12:45 for my Liberty sailing on 11/18. Something about customs delays.

Is this legit or just RCI trying to manage the crowds ?

Royal has been sending that email for months now, ever since the sequestration. Most people report no delays.

Got to two email from RCI saying not to get to the pier before 12:45 for my Liberty sailing on 11/18. Something about customs delays.

Based on our experience and others who have posted recently about ships returning from Europe this is real. We have experienced the delays on several occasions including vans from hotels not being allowed to come to the port until notified to do so. Last time boarding was at 2:00PM. This email should not be confused with the notifications previously sent out on sequestration delays.

From what I can gather, the Oasis and Allure messages seem to be just a way to filter out the arrivals. However, Liberty has been delayed a little the last to sailings out of Port Everglades and that has been attributed to customs and clearance upon arrival. If you have nothing else to do anyway, why not just show up and wait in the terminal vs. waiting in a hotel room or something.

We got this email as well(just off Liberty yesterday)which told us to come no earlier than 1230. We arrived at the port around that time and ppl were already on the ship. Never did figure out the reason behind the email...my original thought and still is to manage ppl.

Nothing wrong in staggering embarkation times to manage crowds....that is what they do for disembarkation too.

People will complain if they arrive early and wait in line; and people will complain if they are asked to come a little later to avoid crowds!

Edited by Arzeena

Based on our experience and others who have posted recently about ships returning from Europe this is real. We have experienced the delays on several occasions including vans from hotels not being allowed to come to the port until notified to do so. Last time boarding was at 2:00PM. This email should not be confused with the notifications previously sent out on sequestration delays.

Liberty's been back from Europe for a week already. Future embarkations should be relatively normal.

My folks just got off Liberty Thursday and they had a delay in getting off..... When they arrived at the port to sail out, they said there is construction and it was a little chaotic, but traffic was moving, just a little slow. They arrived around 11:30 even though they had also received a letter and no problem getting right on.....

:D

Just ignore it, you will be glad you did.

We got off the Oasis on October 19. We had #52 and was supposed to get of at 9:15am. We got off at 10:35am. There were numbers up to 70 so what time they got off is your guess as good as mine. Once we got off the ship, it took us 50 more minutes to get through Immigration. They only had about 8-10 agents working for 6,100 passengers thatw we were told by the captain who were on the ship. Luckily we were staying in Ft. Lauderdale.