Question about Ordering a Wine Package

innlady1

When we board our January 27 cruise on the Maasdam, we're still under the current wine policy. However, when we board the Noordam on February 7, that will fall under the new policy.

I will order a wine package but can I select which wine I want when we board? Also, when does the Mariner discount show on the order? We're 4 star now so I'm assuming it's a 50% savings.

I hate not being able to bring the wine that I like on board. :(

TIA!

When we board our January 27 cruise on the Maasdam, we're still under the current wine policy. However, when we board the Noordam on February 7, that will fall under the new policy.

I will order a wine package but can I select which wine I want when we board? Also, when does the Mariner discount show on the order? We're 4 star now so I'm assuming it's a 50% savings.

I hate not being able to bring the wine that I like on board. :(

TIA!

Sheila, if you are ordering the wine package on board the 50% discount applies immediately so you will only be charged 1/2 of the price.

Sure, if the wine is being sent to your room you can select the wine you like from the selection available in the package.

If you are using it in the MDR then usually, you just select one bottle at a time. If you are concerned that they may run out of a particular one that you like I don't see why they couldn't be set aside in advance for you. (I hope I understood your question correctly)

Before you choose your wine package it's a good idea to confirm the selections available - sometimes they are not all on board or substitutions have been made.

We will most likely buy a wine package as well. If I get it online before we board, will the discount be applied to our onboard account? Or is it better to just get it once we board the ship?

Wondering that, too. I assume the corkage fee is waived since it's purchased from HAL :confused: Jacqui...do I call to ask them what's available? I hate buying a "pig in a poke"!

Edited by innlady1

We usually order the wine package in the dining room the first night, or the second night if we're eating in a specialty restaurant the first night. That way, DH can chat with the wine steward, hopefully he gets the 15%, and we make a friend! Purchasing ahead of time, your credit card is charged immediately, I think, like shore excursions or dinner reservations, and the deduction for 4 stars might not be taken off until you board.

We usually order the wine package in the dining room the first night, or the second night if we're eating in a specialty restaurant the first night. That way, DH can chat with the wine steward, hopefully he gets the 15%, and we make a friend! Purchasing ahead of time, your credit card is charged immediately, I think, like shore excursions or dinner reservations, and the deduction for 4 stars might not be taken off until you board.

I always bring the same chardonnay on board. It's my favorite (very oaky). I've had it in the Pinnacle by the glass but don't know if it's offered in the package. Columbia Crest Grand Estates. I just emailed Guest Services...we'll see what they say.

If you buy a wine package I would wait until you are on board to see what is offered.

Last June, the following chardonnays were in the wine packages:

Navigator's Package - Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile

Toasted Head Chardonnay, CA

Admiral's Package - Clos du Bois Chardonnary, CA

Franciscan Chardonnay, Napa

Unfortunately, not the one of your choice

Thanks, everyone. Guess I'll wait. I might try those at home first to see which...if any...I like. If they do have the wine I like, is it a lot more expensive to buy something that's not in their packages?

With your 50% discount, you are most likely paying less than $20 a bottle. The Columbia Crest might be in the $40 range.

So, yes much cheaper to buy bottles of wine in a package. If you can find one you like.