First timer w/ 4 kids - how do I stay organized at ports?

vjsprang

We are cruising for the first time with my whole family - 11 adults and 4 kids - all the kids are ours, ages 3, 6, 8 & 9. We will be navigating ports on our own, hopefully doing lots of beaches. I'm really overwhelmed trying to find family-friendly activities, beaches, restaurants at each port and wondering how I'm going to haul everything we need to and from the ship?? Any suggestions? I'm assuming we will need swimsuits, towels, snacks, water, sunscreen, sunglasses, possibly life jackets (?) and beach toys at a MINIMUM.

Would it be easiest to give each of the older kids their own backpack and make them take care of their own things then have a big tote bag for ours and the younger ones things? Should I bring an umbrella stroller for our littlest one?

We are cruising RC Jewel of the Seas with ports at Tortola BVI, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Dominica and Barbados.

The first thing you need is a guidebook...that will give you all the info on beaches, transportation, etc....you need to know something about where you're going!!! You may find things that interest you that aren't beaches, and won't require all the gear!

I would have small totes for all but the 3 year old.....do NOT become the "pack mule" for your family!

You will wear your swimsuits (put a teeshirt or coverup over!), and the other stuff you mentioned. I wouldn't deal with lifejackets....except maybe for the youngest, and some sort of arm floatie might work. It's not like you'll be surfing or anything!

As far as food/drink, the guidebook will tell you which beaches have that stuff available....I wouldn't bring it with me.

Beach toys.....nope....I'd put a plastic glass in one of the totes, and let them use that to make sandcastles.....sticks and shells can be "imagined" as toys! I wouldn't haul any more than absolutely needed!

I would definitely bring the stroller....it can be used to haul your stuff!

Edited by cb at sea

We are cruising for the first time with my whole family - 11 adults and 4 kids - all the kids are ours, ages 3, 6, 8 & 9. We will be navigating ports on our own, hopefully doing lots of beaches. I'm really overwhelmed trying to find family-friendly activities, beaches, restaurants at each port and wondering how I'm going to haul everything we need to and from the ship?? Any suggestions? I'm assuming we will need swimsuits, towels, snacks, water, sunscreen, sunglasses, possibly life jackets (?) and beach toys at a MINIMUM.

Would it be easiest to give each of the older kids their own backpack and make them take care of their own things then have a big tote bag for ours and the younger ones things? Should I bring an umbrella stroller for our littlest one?

We are cruising RC Jewel of the Seas with ports at Tortola BVI, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Dominica and Barbados.

Research each port in the ports of call and make a list of a few things to do in each port. That way if by the end of the week you are "beached out" ( like that could ever happen :D ) you will have an alternative.

I think you are planning to bring too much. The kids don't really need beach toys, there will be so many things to see and do. Teach them to snorkel in a pool before you go, so they will be ready to dive right in. Even your three year old can do it. Bring snorkels from home, flippers are not needed. At some point in my kids' childhood, i picked up a blow up tube like a noodle. If you can find those, use them as floatys for snorkeling. For your three year old you can find those swimsuits with floaters in them.

Bring backpacks for everyone. A tote is ok, but backpacks keep your hands free and distribute the weight better for longer walking. Just because everyone has a backpack doesn't mean every day you need to use them all. We have a camelback so we can carry water, the best part is it gets lighter as the day goes on.

You shouldn't need restaurants at each port. Most beaches have a snack stand of some type. Bring a snack if the little ones need it, we just eat a big breakfast on the ship and eat again when we get back. Unless you want to find food that is local and fun to try.

Bring an unbrella stroller if you want, buy a cheap used one and leave it there on the last day. Keep in mind that stroller wheels don't do well in sand.

I tell this to everyone traveling with kids. Buy them each thier own camera. You can get some cheap ones. They will have a great time taking photos and you will be amazed at what they think is cool or important. They will also love showing thier friends and family "thier" vacation photos. Bring extra memory for them.

Have you taught them to swim? Oceans can be dangerous. No water toys in Ocean. Are you aware of the childrens camps(or whatever they call them), on boardby age. Take advantage of them, usually free. Kid love them.

Edited by zoncom

I hope you have a wonderful time. Please keep a close eye on the kids! I would humbly suggest that one adult be responsible for one of the kids in every outing. Perhaps you could rotate the adults so no one's fun is ruined all the time. I guess I'm being overly cautious, but I have seen so many kids wandering around looking for their parents when they have been separated from them due to large crowds. And, I speak from experience. Years ago, our 3 yr. old daughter got separated from us on a beach vacation. I can still feel the absolute terror I felt as we searched fanatically for her. Turns out she was only a few yards away from us, happily making sand castles. I don't wish

that horrible feeling on anyone.

remember these words.. no good deed ever goes unpunished

I have two suggestions for your ports. In St. Maarten head over to Le Galion Beach. It's nick named baby beach because it is so shallow and calm. Most relaxing beach day you can think of.

There is a Nature Reserve in Barbados that you may want to incorporate into your day.

Dominica will be more difficult to find something to do in that will be good for everyone in your group.

Cane Garden Bay in Tortola is lovely but gets busy but kids like that.

You might want to look in to Palms Court Gardens in St. Kitts. We walked there from the port. It cost us $10 each but the gardens and pool is lovely.

Thanks for the suggestions....I am research maniac so I have been analyzing every island. I think we are planning on Brewers Bay at Tortola. Then renting a car at St. Maarten and exploring the island a little...maybe pastries at Sarafina's and and LeGallion for sure. On Dominica we booked with Bumpiing tours for the Roseau Treasures tour...I was unsure about doing this with kids but Levi assures us it will be fine and we will be able to "switch off" so someone can stay with the younger ones. I'm still working on St. Kitts and Barbados.

Our older three kids swim well, but we definitely plan to do beaches that are safe for them. Our youngest is recently adopted and although she is 3 1/2, she acts more like a 2 year old because of her previous living situation. I think she will be OK but I am honestly considering taking one of those monkey backpacks where the tail can be connected to the parent! We will also take the stroller just to keep her buckled in and close to us. I feel like we are pretty good at keeping them all in line, but thanks for the reminders to watch them EXTRA closely.

Thanks for the suggestions....I am research maniac so I have been analyzing every island. I think we are planning on Brewers Bay at Tortola. Then renting a car at St. Maarten and exploring the island a little...maybe pastries at Sarafina's and and LeGallion for sure. On Dominica we booked with Bumpiing tours for the Roseau Treasures tour...I was unsure about doing this with kids but Levi assures us it will be fine and we will be able to "switch off" so someone can stay with the younger ones. I'm still working on St. Kitts and Barbados.

Our older three kids swim well, but we definitely plan to do beaches that are safe for them. Our youngest is recently adopted and although she is 3 1/2, she acts more like a 2 year old because of her previous living situation. I think she will be OK but I am honestly considering taking one of those monkey backpacks where the tail can be connected to the parent! We will also take the stroller just to keep her buckled in and close to us. I feel like we are pretty good at keeping them all in line, but thanks for the reminders to watch them EXTRA closely.

There is a Family Board here on cc. I would suggest that you post a question as to suggestions on options for Dominica with small children. We toured Dominica when our girls were almost 12 and 9 1/2 and again when they were 18 1/2 and 16. They seemed to get much more out of the experience when they were older although the winding roads got to one of them and she was lying down in the back of the van for much of the ride during our second tour. Last March we decided to make Dominica a relaxing day and visit Papilotte Wilderness retreat. It was a lovely day but I must confess our then 17 year olds loved connecting with their friends re the free wifi as much as soaking in the hot tubs and far more than touring the gardens. It was a ten day cruise and their vacation to after all.:D

JFYI: I am not sure if your tour included Tito Gorge but I would definitely ask others about taking kids in that very cold water with the very strong current. Even with a lifejacket this would not please many little ones and we all know that when they are not happy then no one is happy.:)

This has nothing to do with kids, but something to do with organization. I just bought a 7-pocket expandable folder (kind with the elastic to hold the cover closed) -- one pocket for each of my 6 ports & one for ship-board things -- and a clipfolio for the port of the day. You could go with 7 or I saw one that is only 5... but the extra pocket out of 7 could hold the ship's Daily's or just even more printouts (you said you liked to research!).

I'm only 13 days away (really 12 because of the travel to get to embarcation port), so this was TOO LATE to get the folder! Recommend sort-as-you-go to avoid the mess I have to clear up!

Try to have a little fun, too!

132c04ec73a292f40a8fd493eef0c0af.png

• 1 month later...

1. To avoid forgetting things, lay everything out the night before. We like to lay out a ball cap for each person (keeps heads from getting burned) and put each person's necessities into the hat: Since I have teens, our stuff is a little "older" -- wallets, sunglasses, cell phones, watches, iPods, Ship ID, etc.

2. Dress the guys in swim trunks and tees, the girls in swimsuits and cover-ups. Do not bother with extra clothes and do not attempt to change clothes ashore. Everyone else'll be wearing swimsuits anyway -- yes, in restaurants, shops, etc.

3. Talk to the kids ahead of time about getting on and off the ship. It's a crowded time, and my kids --especially when they were younger -- always behaved better when they knew exactly what was going to happen. With four kids, I'd go so far as to practice on-off behavior. My suggestion:

- One adult goes through the line first, carrying everyone's ship ID (every ID must be run through a machine that marks each person as "off" the ship), perhaps in a lanyard carrier. You must not risk losing an ID, and I don't think your kids are old enough to be responsible for their own. Kids get excited and don't think about their IDs. I remember being held up a long time because my 16yr old niece had shoved her ID to the bottom of her big beach bag.

- The kids come through next, sticking close together behind the first adult.

- The second adult comes last and collects the IDs.

- With four kids, I wouldn't try to be among the first off the ship; rather, wait 'til the initial crowds have dispersed.

4. Definitely bring a small backpack for every child, perhaps just a little drawstring bag, for a towel and a few beach toys. Even the youngest is old enough to begin to accept responsibility for her own toys -- and if a small beach toy is lost, it's a lesson without a big "cost". This leaves each adult carrying a reasonable sized bag with the family's sunscreen and water bottles.

Edited by MrsPete

• 2 weeks later...

mhajduk - we ended up purchasing Lands End drawstring cinch sacks for each of our kids. They worked perfectly. Each kid got two snacks and their sunglasses in the front pocket. They kept towel, clothes, etc in the larger part. They have mesh pockets on the side for their water bottle. I kept the larger baackpack with the necessities (sunscreen, bug spray, etc). My husband kept all the ship passes in his bag. I kept a folder in my bag that had all my research info in it: best beaches, places to eat, cab fare prices, recommended spots, etc.

We only took our stroller when we were intending to walk around/shop all day. The rest of the days we were on tours or beaches so the stroller wouldn't have been of much use anyway. She did have a small backpack that had a "tether" on it where we kept her sippy cup and a couple toys. Yes, it's like a leash (but looks cuter ;) ) and she's very quick so we weren't going to take a chance with her disappearing. It actually worked really well. It was small enough that I could just shove it in my bag when she wasn't using it.

Like MrsPete said...we had the girls wear dresses over their swimsuits and our son just wore T's with his swim trunks. They each had a lightweight extra set of clothes in their bag.

The grandparents bought them some nice Melissa & Doug beach toys and we did haul them to the beach. They had a ton of fun with them so it was worth it. I wouldn't have brought them if they weren't gifts though. I also took 3 big dollar store plastic cups for sandcastle building and that was well worth it too...they used them a lot.

As far as ports, the kids loved Brewers Bay in Tortola.

St. Maarten was horrible for us. We tried to go to Marigot, traffic was TERRIBLE, Sarafina's was closed, etc. I wish we'd thrown our plans out the window and just gone to LeGalion Beach.

We relaxed on the boat at St. Kitts then went to South Friars bay. Kids loved that too....more shells there than the other beaches. Go by the Carambola beach club though, as the other side is NOT good for kids.

Our older kids snorkeled Champagne Reef on Dominica and it was the highlight of their trip.

We went to Rockley beach on Barbados...by FAR our favorite! Gorgeous white sand, one side is totally protected for our younger one, the other side has nice waves so our older ones could try boogie boarding - the LOVED it. Highly recommend.

Yes, we did a lot of beaches, but we are from the Midwest so we get starved for the ocean and wanted to visit as many as we could!

Hope that helps!