Food in cabin

spidybabe

Just looking for some advice ...we have an aft balcony on the Gem on our next cruise, and we plan on eating, drinking, and having many snacks/meals out there. How do we carry the food down from the buffet? I think I remember people with trays in the past, but I never really took notice. Do they have? Thanks for any all input

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How do we carry the food down from the buffet?

1. Prepare hand by expanding or opening all the fingers to prepare for grasping of object.

2. Extend arm in direction of desired object.

3. Grip object with one or both hands.

4. Retract arms while maintaining grip on object.

5. Move one foot in front of the other in the desired direction of travel.

6. Arrive at desired new location.

7. Acquire new target surface location for object.

8. Extend arm.

9. Carefully release grip on the object when contact with target surface is achieved.

-- END OF PROCEDURE

I vaguely remember an old post that said you can get a tray from the buffet. If not, you can just order something room service and keep the tray and plate covers. Just leave a note or keep it hidden from your steward or they'll clean take it away.

Oh, but it CAN get more tricky- the dor maneuver. I thoughtfully fetched a lovely breakfast from the buffet for my mother and me to eat on our balcony. And then dropped the laden plate on the halway floor when I swiped my key. Soooo, quickly cleaned the syrupy halway, then went in cabin to put plate down, back out to hallway and the steward had already cleaned it all! But maybe I am just very uncoordinated

Oh, but it CAN get more tricky- the dor maneuver. I thoughtfully fetched a lovely breakfast from the buffet for my mother and me to eat on our balcony. And then dropped the laden plate on the halway floor when I swiped my key. Soooo, quickly cleaned the syrupy halway, then went in cabin to put plate down, back out to hallway and the steward had already cleaned it all! But maybe I am just very uncoordinated

Then you should carefully follow the instructions in post #2 above.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. We could of lived without the sarcasm in post #2. Luckily all CC'ers are not like that.

We afraid to try suite life, as we might never go back to regular rooms, (I spoil easily) and right now we are satisfied with mostly any cabin as long as we are sailing.

Safe sailing

Thanks for all the helpful replies. We could of lived without the sarcasm in post #2. Luckily all CC'ers are not like that.

Lighten up a bit, eh? It was a joke. Your question really needed an injection of humor. It's ridiculously simple to go grab a plate of snacks, cover it with another plate and carry it to your cabin.

LOVED #2 posting. I always appreciate a little levity. Especially to lighten up serious topics like EATING!!! LOL We ALL know we take EATING very seriously! Admit it, peeps!

Hmmm, no trays huh? I thought in January 2013 on Star they had trays. Maybe not - we didn't do the buffet much (I'll ask my teens -- they did the buffet TOO much ... especially that dog gone ice cream machine).

Good to know about Blue Lagoon - who knew? Not I.

Counting down...

Order your coffee from room service the first morning and keep the tray in your closet for when you need it. Please don't be those people that put their dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway. Your room steward cleans twice a day and will remove the dishes from your room.

Picnic Tote - Stacking Carrier is your solution, 100% secure & easy to carry in one hand. Fill your plates & transfer, cover & lock and go ... LOL, that's an extreme solution offered for a good laugh. I remember these as a child growing up & last saw them in use (still) while touring China 3 years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Picnic-Tote-Stacking-Food-Carrier-Regal-Ware-5-Sections-Lid-Handle-USA - google this on eBay if the link is bad

$(KGrHqNHJF!FHhl7DCPrBS!nT!802w~~60_14.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJG8FGrzfhn9jBS!nS1P5BQ~~60_14.JPG

You will, most likely, get a few funny looks from fellow cruisers. I would just use the Blue Lagoon and/or visit the buffet - pack a few HD zip lock bags.

Like others said, opening the door is the tricky part unless you coordinate with whoever waiting inside and/or put it down on the floor first.

Edited by mking8288

Order your coffee from room service the first morning and keep the tray in your closet for when you need it. Please don't be those people that put their dirty dishes on the floor in the hallway. Your room steward cleans twice a day and will remove the dishes from your room.

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful idea. I will have to remember this on my upcoming cruise.

As for the OP's question, there was some talk on here about the trays not too long ago, but I can't recall what the census was. I believe they said you can ask for one.

I do know that on our last cruise on the STAR, there was a staff member that grabbed a tray and started taking my plates and putting them on there (I had mine and my young daughters plate) and she followed me around with it and took it to my table. So they do have trays of course. They are just not out in open view.

1. Prepare hand by expanding or opening all the fingers to prepare for grasping of object.

2. Extend arm in direction of desired object.

3. Grip object with one or both hands.

4. Retract arms while maintaining grip on object.

5. Move one foot in front of the other in the desired direction of travel.

6. Arrive at desired new location.

7. Acquire new target surface location for object.

8. Extend arm.

9. Carefully release grip on the object when contact with target surface is achieved.

-- END OF PROCEDURE

You make it all sound so easy.

Thanks for that, its the funniest thing I read on CC in some time. :):cool: