Cruising Weather New Zealand in December

Ablestar

We have cruised New Zealand twice at Christmas time, and experienced all sorts of weather - rainy, cold, cool and sunny, but not really warm. You will need to take layers as you can get all sorts of weather.

Will we need thick jackets?

Thick jackets will depend on your ports. For example, Dunedin will be cold, mainly till around 11am or so. Wellington is usually windy, light spray jacket there possibly, and forget the umbrella here due to wind. Milford Sound is also cool, but the ships usually hand out extra blankets and hot drinks near the pool area. The north island will be warmer, but you may still need a light jacket.

If you are Syd back to Syd, then I suggest to def pack the jacket. I always do (Nov/Dec/Jan), and always have used it in Milford and Dunedin. No need for gloves/scarf/beanie. Pack a light waterproof spray jacket as well incase of rain in other areas.

As anyone cruised New Zealand in December, What is the weather like? Is it really cold or is it warm and confortable?

Ah, you thin-skinned Australians! Although south of you, NZ isn't the Antarctic! LOL

No, it won't be "really cold". It will be the same season in NZ as it is in Sydney - that is, late spring/early summer.

The weather is not really settled until January, but it is getting warmer. The South Island will be cooler than the North Island - although not always. You could get rain in the fiords area. Christchurch can have temperatures of 30 degrees, or 10 degrees, sometimes both in the same day.

As someone else said, bring layers of clothes, so you can add or remove them, as necessary. A sweater and a light jacket are a good idea, as well. It's a good idea if the jacket is wind and rain-proof. Bring sunblock and a sun hat,too!

You've probably gathered that the weather can be changeable.

First, let me say that we live in South Florida where it is summertime most of the year. Although we are from New York originally, we have become accustomed to the sub-tropical climate.

Having said that, we were on a 13-day round trip cruise out of Sydney last year, sailing on Dec. 10th. As the previous posters have indicated, the weather in Dunedin will most likely be chilly, warming up slightly as the day goes on.

Milford Sound was actually cold, rainy and foggy so the ship (the beautiful Solstice) did not spend much time there, unfortunately. I would bring a warm jacket (perhaps one with a hood).

Moving on to the North Island, when we arrived at Akaroa, it was suddenly summer - bright, sunny and warm. We spent the most wonderful day there. Most folks were wearing shorts, tank tops, flip-flops, etc.

The next couple of ports (Auckland, Bay of Islands) were also warm. Tauranga was a bit cooler because it was overcast most of the day.

I hope this was helpful.

Bon Voyage - your cruise will be fabulous.

Larry & Ethel

First, let me say that we live in South Florida where it is summertime most of the year. Although we are from New York originally, we have become accustomed to the sub-tropical climate.

Having said that, we were on a 13-day round trip cruise out of Sydney last year, sailing on Dec. 10th. As the previous posters have indicated, the weather in Dunedin will most likely be chilly, warming up slightly as the day goes on.

Milford Sound was actually cold, rainy and foggy so the ship (the beautiful Solstice) did not spend much time there, unfortunately. I would bring a warm jacket (perhaps one with a hood).

Moving on to the North Island, when we arrived at Akaroa, it was suddenly summer - bright, sunny and warm. We spent the most wonderful day there. Most folks were wearing shorts, tank tops, flip-flops, etc.

The next couple of ports (Auckland, Bay of Islands) were also warm. Tauranga was a bit cooler because it was overcast most of the day.

I hope this was helpful.

Bon Voyage - your cruise will be fabulous.

Larry & Ethel

Thanks Larry and Ethel for you're info, my husband said to me it will be same weather as Sydney so I'm lucky I asked the question because I don't think we would have had any jackets with us, just a cardigan I guess.

Is the ship warm or cool?

Thanks again

Thanks Larry and Ethel for you're info, my husband said to me it will be same weather as Sydney..................

The weather is definitely not the same as Australia, New Zealand is green and lush whilst Australia is just a desert. January is probably the better month but that is school holiday.

• 4 years later...

We got rain, rain and more rain. It was so wet when we sailed the sounds, we could hardly see much ahead, but the waterfalls were amazing. That being said we would still sail there again but we might choose a different month. The people in NZ are very friendly. Fingers crossed that you get better weather than we did!

As anyone cruised New Zealand in December, What is the weather like? Is it really cold or is it warm and confortable?

New Zealand will not be 'cold' as others have said - certainly not chillingly cold

if your cruise goes around Milford sound it might be a little cooler there, but generally the temperatures will be pretty pleasant. I would take a long sleeve jacket yes, because it might be cooler outside on the top deck if there is a strong breeze or something

Summer in NZ is generally from December to the end of March, although the hotter temperatures are generally in January / early February

let me know what day your cruise comes into Auckland and I'll stand out on my balcony at home and wave to you! :D

We sailed the last two weeks of November, we definitely never needed coats, just light jackets... Dunedin was cool & rainy, definitely not cold though. Other ports we would have what I'd call 3 seasons in one day, sun would go behind clouds, wind would come up & we'd be cold, 10 minutes later, the sun would come out, & we'd literally be baking.

I had my sounds outfit all pre planned, skinny jeans, boots, cute cashmere sweater, gloves, & hat. We ended up with stunning clear blue skies & sunshine, & I ended up in shorts & a tee shirt ;) best advice is plan for light layers that you can put on & take off throughout the day. Enjoy, New Zealand is stunning.