Can you lock balcony doors?

Thanks for the response.... I think Im just being a nervous mum, they are very good kids and I can't see them actually unlocking a door, going out on to the balcony and then climbing furniture to jump over......but its on my mind.

Are the doors the type that you could put a padlock or something on?

OR

could you move the sofa around the room so its blocking the balcony? pr are the sofas bolted in place?

On all of the balconies we have had, the door opens outwards--so even if you drug the sofa to block it, the kids could climb onto that to open the door and then over onto the balcony. If they were going to go out and climb anyway--I don't see that this is much different.

The typical set-up would not work with a padlock either.

We are taking our kids on their first cruise next year and will be taking a portable door alarm with us.

http://www.goplanetgo.com/index.php/products/security-travel-door-alarm

It has 2 prongs that you push together and wedge in between the door and the frame. If the door is opened the prongs come apart and it sets the alarm off.

I am hoping my kids won't touch the doors when I ask them not to.....but for piece of mind it will be worth it!

On all of the balconies we have had, the door opens outwards--so even if you drug the sofa to block it, the kids could climb onto that to open the door and then over onto the balcony. If they were going to go out and climb anyway--I don't see that this is much different.

Every balcony we have been in had a 'sliding door' not a door that opened 'outwards'. They involve pulling down a handle (which isn't always so easy) and the door itself is fairly heavy (even as a sliding door). I would imagine it would not be very easy for small children to manipulate opening the door.

As others have pointed out, the OP is sailing on Rhapsody, which is an RCI ship. RCI balcony doors are slider style. They are lockable at the handle and relatively heavy to open. I don't recall on that ship class if there is a secondary lock on the door or not - check with the stateroom attendant.

Not sure about the Rhapsody but on the Allure the balcony doors have a hard to notice sliding lock mounted high on the frame. Doubt a five or seven year out could reach it or figure it out. The lock serves two purposes, keeps kids in and miscreants out. Probably standard on most ships.

We are taking our kids on their first cruise next year and will be taking a portable door alarm with us.

http://www.goplanetgo.com/index.php/products/security-travel-door-alarm

It has 2 prongs that you push together and wedge in between the door and the frame. If the door is opened the prongs come apart and it sets the alarm off.

I am hoping my kids won't touch the doors when I ask them not to.....but for piece of mind it will be worth it!

Thank you for this link, we are taking our four year old on a cruise next year and was looking for something like this.

Be very careful with the balcony doors....a few months back on Oasis, I though I broke my finger closing my balcony door. It slid shut faster than expected and I smashed the bejesus out of my index knuckle. Tears were shed....ugly words were said. It stayed sore for days! I could only imagine if a little one did that. :-(

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If the kids are going to stay in that cabin alone, wouldn't a cheaper and sure fire way to keep them off the balcony be to put them in an inside cabin across the hall? :D

Darn near impossible to open a door to and climb on a balcony that doesn't exist...just sayin'

A similar question...we are thinking of booking interconnecting balcony staterooms. If we want the balcony divider left open will the cabin steward open it for us so we have one big balcony?

Depends on the ship and Captain. Some ships cannot physically have their balcony dividers opened. Those that can have the dividers opened may not be allowed by the ship's management. All you can do is ask.

Every balcony we have been in had a 'sliding door' not a door that opened 'outwards'. They involve pulling down a handle (which isn't always so easy) and the door itself is fairly heavy (even as a sliding door). I would imagine it would not be very easy for small children to manipulate opening the door.

You;re right! It is sliding. I ought to have realized that; posting before caffeine in the morning is a bad idea I guess. I KNEW it did not open inward though--the bed is usually right by that door.

AAAANNNND apparently my son logged in from my computer and not back out. This is NHDisneylover, I promise!

Edited by rockin rio