Voyage of the Vikings 2015

PCruzer

Why is Veendam your least favorite?

Well, for starters, there are way too many problems reported about malfunctioning AC and plumbing issues. Then there are the changes made to the ship that I just don't like....especially The Retreat area with that huge TV screen. That used to be one of my favorite quiet areas of the ship. I find the TV screen, even if the sound is off, to be annoying and distracting.

• 9 months later...
Anyone know approximately when the itinerary for the 2015 Voyage of the Vikings will be released?

Hi I just returned from the VOV - 2014. The only port that I think the 2 years have in common is Qaqortoq.

There are no HAL tours there and someone from the year before put me on to a private tour to the Ice Caps.

Here is the info and good luck to anyone interested in arranging it. It was the highlight of the trip for most of the participants.

It was an exhilarating and fantastic experience. 31 people who came along.

The person I dealt with is: Frank Feldman. His website is www://wilderness-tours.com/cruise daytrips.

He does mainly bow hunting multi-day tours, but..................He sent his wife and 6 month old out to join us. Delightful.

The price, this year, was $200/person and if you fill a boat (22 people) you will probably get 1 passenger free.

We had a picture perfect day and the best part of the tour was the coming and going.

We were met at the dock. ( it is a tender port) and it is a 2+ hour boat ride to the ice caps. There were a lot of ice chunks ( break-offs from the bergs) so navigation was slow

and we did not have much time at the glacier and to actually walk on the ice caps, but no-one seemed to mind.

Also I posted several times on CC as the trip got closer.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi I just returned from the VOV - 2014. The only port that I think the 2 years have in common is Qaqortoq.

There are no HAL tours there and someone from the year before put me on to a private tour to the Ice Caps.

Here is the info and good luck to anyone interested in arranging it. It was the highlight of the trip for most of the participants.

The person I dealt with is: Frank Feldman. His website is www://wilderness-tours.com/cruise daytrips.

He does mainly bow hunting multi-day tours, but..................He sent his wife and 6 month old out to join us. Delightful.

The price, this year, was $200/person and if you fill a boat (22 people) you will probably get 1 passenger free.

We had a picture perfect day and the best part of the tour was the coming and going.

We were met at the dock. ( it is a tender port) and it is a 2+ hour boat ride to the ice caps. There were a lot of ice chunks ( break-offs from the bergs) so navigation was slow

and we did not have much time at the glacier and to actually walk on the ice caps, but no-one seemed to mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

Neil and I were on this tour and thought the conversations with the wife and baby, Olaf, were most interesting. They r moving from a LARGE community of about 350?? to one with 100 people, and no doctor!!!

Mickie

Good luck and enjoy!

Neil and I were on this tour and thought the conversations with the wife and baby, Olaf, were most interesting. They r moving from a LARGE community of about 350?? to one with 100 people, and no doctor!!!

Mickie

Great in formation.

I am confused .. VoV has been published for some time. We signed up for it months ago - and it is on the Veendam departing from Boston 25 July 2015.

harry

The original post was Nov 2013.

Well, for starters, there are way too many problems reported about malfunctioning AC and plumbing issues. Then there are the changes made to the ship that I just don't like....especially The Retreat area with that huge TV screen. That used to be one of my favorite quiet areas of the ship. I find the TV screen, even if the sound is off, to be annoying and distracting.

Veendam Update: I've been on Veendam twice in the past year, having just returned from Historic Coasts yesterday. And we are on her, happily, for a December Circle Hawaii. The screen is long gone as is the shallow pool. (And the poor palm tree!)She recently came out of drydock and is thoroughly spiffed up. Much new carpet and new chairs. There even seems to have been some work done on the EVAC system. The crew is overworked as on every HAL ship, but they are proud of their ship and it shows. One show we saw, Encore!, was the best small ship show we've seen. They have improved on quality, continuity and use projections nicely.

Due to a large number of children early open seating was a rough scene, but you are not likely to have that problem on VOV. We finally fell in love with THE MIX. It is a lively area that provides several options for seating and energy level.

Water did get shut off twice according to friends on A deck. And I heard of one toilet problem. I'm sure there were more. I'm not going to extend the discussion of this topic. Other ships have problems too and sometimes our fellow passengers are the cause.

AND I do understand that if you have had a bad experience on a particular ship that you would not want to to sail on her again. I just wanted to update where she is now. She is not the same ship in terms of management and morale that failed CDC in 2012.

Edited by shrimp56

Veendam Update: I've been on Veendam twice in the past year, having just returned from Historic Coasts yesterday. And we are on her, happily, for a December Circle Hawaii. The screen is long gone as is the shallow pool. (And the poor palm tree!)She recently came out of drydock and is thoroughly spiffed up. Much new carpet and new chairs. There even seems to have been some work done on the EVAC system. The crew is overworked as on every HAL ship, but they are proud of their ship and it shows. One show we saw, Encore!, was the best small ship show we've seen. They have improved on quality, continuity and use projections nicely.

Due to a large number of children early open seating was a rough scene, but you are not likely to have that problem on VOV. We finally fell in love with THE MIX. It is a lively area that provides several options for seating and energy level.

Water did get shut off twice according to friends on A deck. And I heard of one toilet problem. I'm sure there were more. I'm not going to extend the discussion of this topic. Other ships have problems too and sometimes our fellow passengers are the cause.

AND I do understand that if you have had a bad experience on a particular ship that you would not want to to sail on her again. I just wanted to update where she is now. She is not the same ship in terms of management and morale that failed CDC in 2012.

I can't thank you enough for your comments recently about the Veendam. We will be on her for 17 days in Oct/Nov. Our trip was booked for itinerary, not ship, and I have to admit I was more than a little nervous about the ship. Thanks to you I really feel much better and can't wait to see the Veendam again!

I can't thank you enough for your comments recently about the Veendam. We will be on her for 17 days in Oct/Nov. Our trip was booked for itinerary, not ship, and I have to admit I was more than a little nervous about the ship. Thanks to you I really feel much better and can't wait to see the Veendam again!

I'm glad I could help. Look for Ulysses in Ocean Bar and Mabel on the Lido. Super folk. Our cabin stewards for our DA on Main Deck were Sugi & Bam. Great guys. Sugi makes the most wonderful small towel animals.

veendam_zpsed0bdc94.jpg

1-HALephant_zpseb910490.jpg

The lovely HALephant

Edited by shrimp56