Maasdam - Sewage Odour

GlennG

I am booked on a January 27th, 2014 cruise to the Southern Caribbean. In reading past reviews and speaking with friends who have cruised on the Maasdam, I noted that passengers have had to endure a lingering "cruise odour" on this particular ship. Has this been a problem for any HAL customers?

I am booked on a January 27th, 2014 cruise to the Southern Caribbean. In reading past reviews and speaking with friends who have cruised on the Maasdam, I noted that passengers have had to endure a lingering "cruise odour" on this particular ship. Has this been a problem for any HAL customers?

On the lowest deck there is an occasionally funky smell in the hallways. This can be common on many ships, including the Crystal Symphony. And is noticeable only when the ship is in port and not moving. Ships have smells. This is one of them.

Welcome to CC.

Not an uncommon occurrence on any ship. Some inconsiderate guest will clog the sewerage system and cause foul odors on certain decks.

Be careful what your drooping into the sewer system.

Passenger conduct: putting items down toilets like handi-wipes and forcing balcony doors open when the sign on the door and the commode says not to, are all part of this equation.

Stronger messages to passengers explaining why this is important to observe should become mandatory. Even signing an agreement statement before boarding would not be unreasonable.

Edited by OlsSalt

Passenger conduct: putting items down toilets like handi-wipes and forcing balcony doors open when the sign on the door and the commode says not to, are all part of this equation.

Stronger messages to passengers explaining why this is important to observe should become mandatory. Even signing an agreement statement before boarding would not be unreasonable.

This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. Is it true that the balcony doors have something to do with the commode?

This is the first time I've ever heard anything like this. Is it true that the balcony doors have something to do with the commode?

Exactly. Stupid people doing stupid thing is the common denominator in both situations. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

The only cruise odor I have encountered on the maasdam is people who bathe in perfume.

You got nothing else to do other than to start a ill founded rumour.

There are smells associated with ships but the the deeply embedded cigarette smell in Rotterdam Crows Nest made it virtually unusable. Other than that one does get funky smells, hot electrical smells, diesel smells, and painting smells on all ships. And some lovely smells of baking bread on the Vista ships if you know where to go.