Jewel time change question

alohanails

Hi....Sailing on the 30th and we have booked some independent tours....will we be staying on "ship time" or will we adjust our clocks to islands time which seem to be one hour later? Thanks in advance!

Bonnie

I believe that the Jewel sailing out of San Juan does not change time at all on any of her current itineraries. She stays in the same time zone as San Juan.

I believe that the Jewel sailing out of San Juan does not change time at all on any of her current itineraries. She stays in the same time zone as San Juan.

This is correct. All the islands, including Puerto Rico, are on Caribbean Time, there are no time changes.

Depending on your dates, ship time may not be USA time.

On March 8th, the majority of the United States will SPRING FORWARD. I will fly to San Juan March 7th, in EST. The first night of my cruise, the USA will switch over to Daylight Savings Time. Puerto Rico does NOT observe Daylight Savings Time. So for me, it just means I won't be resetting MY watch until a week after the folks back home do! It also means my flights back home seem VERY long, because I'm flying into another time zone that is an hour ahead of San Juan.

However, If I were cruising a week later, I would be changing time zones flying INTO Puerto Rico. We're not ALWAYS in the same time zone.

Edited by printingchick

Depending on your dates, ship time may not be USA time.

On March 8th, the majority of the United States will SPRING FORWARD. I will fly to San Juan March 7th, in EST. The first night of my cruise, the USA will switch over to Daylight Savings Time. Puerto Rico does NOT observe Daylight Savings Time. So for me, it just means I won't be resetting MY watch until a week after the folks back home do! It also means my flights back home seem VERY long, because I'm flying into another time zone that is an hour ahead of San Juan.

However, If I were cruising a week later, I would be changing time zones flying INTO Puerto Rico. We're not ALWAYS in the same time zone.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that you will have to reset your watch (one hour forward) when you arrive in Puerto Rico on the 7th, by the time your cruise is over Puerto Rico will be at the same time than Connecticut.

Hi....Sailing on the 30th and we have booked some independent tours....will we be staying on "ship time" or will we adjust our clocks to islands time which seem to be one hour later? Thanks in advance!

Bonnie

You will lose an hours when flying into San Juan as they are 1 hour ahead of EST. They do not fall back like we do. This includes all the islands on the itinerary.

Here is a great link for checking times http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Edited by cruisenfever

While Puerto Rico will not always be on the same time as the East Coast of the US it is always on the same time as the islands on her itinerary. I think that is what the OP was questioning. Ship time and island time will be the same in all ports for the Jewel which originates in Puerto Rico, but not necessarily for ships that originate from FL.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that you will have to reset your watch (one hour forward) when you arrive in Puerto Rico on the 7th, by the time your cruise is over Puerto Rico will be at the same time than Connecticut.

Not so in this instance. When we fly to San Juan on Friday, March 7th, the USA will be on EST - as will Puerto Rico. On Saturday night, March 8th, embarkation day, the USA will spring ahead, while Puerto Rico will continue to observe EST. We will not have to adjust our watches until we depart from the San Juan airport. We'll notice that lost hour when we land in the continental USA for our connecting flight. On paper, it looks like a REALLY long flight from San Juan to Baltimore.

Ironically, this happened to me once previously on a southern Caribbean cruise and the airline failed to notice the time change. This caused issues, due to the fact we had someone picking us up at the airport. We were an hour LATER than our flight itinerary indicated. I made sure to pay attention to that this time. Fortunately, the airline we are using this time incorporated the necessary time adjustment to their posted flight itinerary.

I realize the OP was asking about San Juan time versus port-of-call times, but because I was caught by this unexpected time change in the past, I thought it worth mentioning. If you check to see what time zone PR is in during the months when the USA is NOT in daylight savings time, you might assume (as I did) that it was ALWAYS the same as the eastern continental USA.

Not so in this instance. When we fly to San Juan on Friday, March 7th, the USA will be on EST - as will Puerto Rico. On Saturday night, March 8th, embarkation day, the USA will spring ahead, while Puerto Rico will continue to observe EST. We will not have to adjust our watches until we depart from the San Juan airport. We'll notice that lost hour when we land in the continental USA for our connecting flight. On paper, it looks like a REALLY long flight from San Juan to Baltimore.

Hi. Right now we are an hour ahead of you, BTW I hate this!! every TV program is an hour late and I'm a morning person! I still think that you have to change your watch on March 7th when you arrive in Puerto Rico. You will embark the Jewel on March 8th already on our time and will stay the same during your cruise. On your way back home, a week later, we will be on the same time.

Edited by drarill

Ironically, this happened to me once previously on a southern Caribbean cruise and the airline failed to notice the time change. This caused issues, due to the fact we had someone picking us up at the airport. We were an hour LATER than our flight itinerary indicated. I made sure to pay attention to that this time. Fortunately, the airline we are using this time incorporated the necessary time adjustment to their posted flight itinerary.

I realize the OP was asking about San Juan time versus port-of-call times, but because I was caught by this unexpected time change in the past, I thought it worth mentioning. If you check to see what time zone PR is in during the months when the USA is NOT in daylight savings time, you might assume (as I did) that it was ALWAYS the same as the eastern continental USA.

Puerto Rico is never on EST it is always on AST (Atlantic Standard).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by Mark_K

Puerto Rico time is in the Atlantic Standard Time zone, not Eastern Standard Time.

in the winter, their time is 1 hour later that the east coast of the US. In the summer when the US goes on Daylight Savings Time, the time is the same.