Advice Needed - Jewel -vs- Sun

jsd4224

Looking at cruises for next November and because of my hubby's football schedule have narrowed it to the Jewel out of Houston or the Sun out of Tampa. Just off the Dawn and would love to do that ship again but the dates don't work.

Also any info on the balconies would be appreciated. Both look to not have as much overhead coverage as the Dawn. I love being able to sit out rain or shine.

Looking at cruises for next November and because of my hubby's football schedule have narrowed it to the Jewel out of Houston or the Sun out of Tampa. Just off the Dawn and would love to do that ship again but the dates don't work.

Also any info on the balconies would be appreciated. Both look to not have as much overhead coverage as the Dawn. I love being able to sit out rain or shine.

I have been on all three you mentioned. My favorite is the Sun. Going for a three-peat in 2014. A lot has to do with it's small size, a beautiful Il Adagio restaurant (for suite breakfast & lunch), has a Great Outdoors, a forward Observation lounge and my favorite aft penthouse suite. Also wonderful aft balconies and mini suites too... see my avatar.

Next, I like the Jewel. And I am so glad she is moving to Texas for me.

The Dawn is like a Jewel, Jr. except no Great Outdoors and I prefer the blue Lagoon on the Jewel to the Dawn.

What I really loved about the Dawn is the Le Bistro on it.

If you want newer and bells & whistles, go Jewel.

If you want smaller and quieter, go Sun.

Gosh, either way you will love it.

Depends what you are all looking for. The Jewel is going to be more like the Dawn but with even a few more bells and whistles. The Sun is more traditional type ship and has some nice sized rooms. Travelling with kids?

I have also sailed on all three - for me the Jewel. Nicer setup in the bathrooms (no shower curtain!) and a real spa - not just a steam room. Look at all the amenities, what matters most to you, and that will be the right ship. We would sail again on any of them, but we prefered the Jewel.

I have been on both- what kind of cabin are you looking for? What are the ports?

I have been on both- what kind of cabin are you looking for? What are the ports?

Both are western routes to belize, honduras & cozumel. We are looking for an aft, either suite or balcony.

The aft suite on the Dawn was deep enough that we actually sat out during the rain with no problem. Would like that type of cover again if possible.

Both are western routes to belize, honduras & cozumel. We are looking for an aft, either suite or balcony.

The aft suite on the Dawn was deep enough that we actually sat out during the rain with no problem. Would like that type of cover again if possible.

Well DMH15 (aka Donna) had the best aft cabin on the Sun when we sailed this past April on the Sun. We were in a forward suite and was no where near as nice as hers. Both ships are beautiful and Ildagio is absolutely beautiful to dine in for breakfast and lunch as a suit perk on the Sun. Enjoy either one!!

I have sailed over a month on the Norwegian Jewel and I've been on the Sun. I like both ships but I love the Jewel more. The Sun has great public spaces as does the Jewel but the Jewel just seems to work better for me. You can't go wrong with either ship but a big difference is the sight lines in the theater. The Jewel has the Stardust Theater forward with great sight lines from everywhere but the Sun has poles in the way with an aft show lounge. Plus, the Spinnakers is a great location to use no matter the time of day when the Spinnakers on the Sun is located mid-ship and cavernous.

The staff on the Jewel are also the best in the fleet and continue to be so IMHO. Some have left for the newer ships but the core group largely remains on there. It's a great bunch and a happy crew equals a happy ship and a great cruise! :)

No - I was only asking about the overhangs on the balconys and stating that it was nice on the Dawn cause you could sit on them rain or shine.

Oh because rain is not allowed on vacation.:)

I have been on the SUN and dawn twice each. I liked the SUN better because of the Great Outdoor Cafe and the Observation Lounge.

I've been on the Sun twice and Pearl (sister to Jewel) once.

Love the Observation Lounge on Sun. Love the buffet layout on Pearl, but hubby says the arrangement is not quite so nice on Jewel.

We sailed in a starboard forwardish balcony on Sun in Alaska on deck 9. I recall it had a reasonable overhang.

If I am remembering correctly (its been 5 years) I think the Jewel also has the Great Outdoors (something I really miss on the Epic). I like a larger ship and the Jewel class - in between the Sun and the Epic fit the bill. We traveld on the Pearl to Belize, Honduras, et. al. and really enjoyed the ship - Pearl and Jewel are very similar. We were 9 days on the Jewel to South Caribbean and loved every minute of it. And we also loved the Dawn. We only "like" the Sun;)

Thanks everyone, we booked the Jewel Aft 9170 out of Houston. No deck 10 suites available, but will wait and see if one pops up :)
I think you'll love that location and cabin. We have had aft suites on both the Sun and the Jewel, and since you asked about the overhangs, you'll have much more coverage on your Jewel balcony than you would have had on an aft Sun suite balcony.

Have fun on the Jewel!

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

If I am remembering correctly (its been 5 years) I think the Jewel also has the Great Outdoors (something I really miss on the Epic). I like a larger ship and the Jewel class - in between the Sun and the Epic fit the bill. We traveld on the Pearl to Belize, Honduras, et. al. and really enjoyed the ship - Pearl and Jewel are very similar. We were 9 days on the Jewel to South Caribbean and loved every minute of it. And we also loved the Dawn. We only "like" the Sun;)

Yes, the Jewel has the Great Outdoors.:)

Wow - tough decision!!! A year ago I would have told you the Jewel - but we got off the Sun last month and she is our new fave! We have booked her for the Panama Canal cruise next Oct. We just enjoyed the smaller ship because it seemed that the crew was able to get to know us and the things we enjoyed. . . . . we got more personalized attention. The Jewel is also a great ship, and we took her to Belize, as you are considering doing. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will have a marvelous cruise!!