Anthem Keel Laying Complete

DEIx15x8

Scratching my head on this one from @RoyalCaribPR, just look at that pic.

Its a big day for #AnthemoftheSeas. Today the 1st block was placed marking her keel-laying. http://*******/1bYZZkb pic.twitter.com/UFaVsjR6OY
BZdZRoNCUAAvvqo.jpg:large

Certainly looks like they placed Anthem in front of Quantum. Could be interesting when the time comes to float Anthem out into the open bay in order to bring Quantum out.

Edited by DEIx15x8

That is very strange, unless they already floated Quantum forward in the building, and Anthem is, in fact, being built behind Quantum. It is hard to tell from that photo. The temporary wall is in place between the two, so it is possible the Quantum was moved forward. There is some water on the floor to the right of the Anthem keel section as well.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

That is very strange, unless they already floated Quantum forward in the building, and Anthem is, in fact being built behind Quantum. It is hard to tell from that photo. The temporary wall is in place between the two, so it is possible the Quantum was moved forward.

Eric

I was questioning the possibility of them floating her as well, but the view of Quantum is the same as what we saw from Getaway. I can't imagine they took her all the way out of the building and rotated her. Especially without any photos or videos showing up online. Seems like people over their now know what we want.

If we get some more pictures we may be able to tell. The back part of the building has a different colored roof and walls since it was just added on a few years ago.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Looking at it closer, you are absolutely correct. The traveling cranes are still on the left of the Quantum. It is strange. I'm glad they know what they are doing, because these sneak peeks are confusing me! ;)

Thanks for posting that news!

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

This is soooo strange! It makes no sense to me why they would do this. :confused::confused:

Do what? They haven't moved the Quantum of the Seas to a new spot in the basin* or turned it around, if that's what you mean.

* Well, they may have inched her forward to put the stern blocks on her? Yes, that topic again. :rolleyes:

Edited by Lloyd555

Do what? They haven't moved the Quantum of the Seas to a new spot in the basin* or turned it around, if that's what you mean.

Well, they may have inched her forward to put the stern blocks on her? Yes, that topic again. :rolleyes:

Yes, I meant not moving it forward or at least turn her around. I wonder what they have up their sleeve!

Yes, I meant not moving it forward or at least turn her around. I wonder what they have up their sleeve!

Why move her forward or turn her around?

Floating out-wise, they could float the Quantum of the Seas out backwards. They did it with the Celebrity Reflection, Disney Fantasy, etc.

Edited by Lloyd555

I thought the same. Normally when one ship leaves they then finish the keel base blocks of the one behind. Float her forward towards the door then drain the dock again. Put up the gate and lay keel of the next one behind.

The webcam shows Quantum still built up only the aft section :confused:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/werft/das_unternehmen/webcam/webcam.jsp

Edited by Single Cruiser

Why move her forward or turn her around?

Floating out-wise, they could float the Quantum of the Seas out backwards. They did it with the Celebrity Reflection, Disney Fantasy, etc.

Quantum's aft blocks were built behind Norwegian Getaway. The door is only at one end where they have now laid Anthem!

Quantum's aft blocks were built behind Norwegian Getaway. The door is only at one end where they have now laid Anthem!

That's right! I got all turned around.

Maybe they just laid the Anthem keel down for a ceremony (that had to take place now??!!), but will remove it?

According to the Meyer Werft website the two docks are listed with specs of:

Building dock I

Length (hall): 370 m

Breadth (hall): 102 m

Height (hall): 60 m

Length (dock): 358 m

Breadth (dock): 40 m

Crane Capacity: 600 tons

Building dock II

Length (hall): 504 m

Breadth (hall): 125 m

Height (hall): 75 m

Length (dock): 482 m

Breadth (dock): 45 m

Crane Capacity: 800 tons

Quantum of the Seas

Length: 348 m

Breadth: 41m

The difference in size is noticeable but pre lengthening of Dock II it seems like they were not that far apart from one another. I was thinking about the time line involved with these ships and thought it could work out, but now seeing the dock constraints it seems impossible. The way it is now when Quantum leaves Anthem will have just 6 months to grow from 150m to her full length of 348m. With her having a year to grow to just 43% of her length I don't see that happening. Could the addition of the North Star require Quantum to be moved out ahead of schedule in order to complete more height restricted work and testing. Usually only the funnels are left to complete when they are pulled out of the hall, but I doubt that will be the case with these. This move could give Anthem to room she needs to grow.

Quantum timeline:

Order: 2/11/2011

Steel cutting: 1/31/2013 (720 days)

Keel laying: 8/2/2013 (183 days)

Float out: 8/30/2014* (393 days)

Conveyance: 9/12/2014* (13 days)

Delivery: 10/27/2014* (45 days)

First sailing: 11/2/2014 (6 days)

Maiden: 11/23/2014 (21 days)

Steel to delivery: 634 days

177 days between float outs

Anthem timeline:

Order: 2/29/2012

Steel cutting: 8/2/2013 (520 days)

Keel laying: 11/19/2013 (109 days)

Float out: 2/23/2015* (461 days)

Conveyance: 3/7/2015* (12 days)

Delivery: 4/24/2015* (48 days)

First sailing/Maiden: 4/28/2015* (4 days)

Steel to delivery: 630 days

If you think back to the Le Havre schedule 4/30/2015 was Anthem's first arrival so this schedule could be about right. If the Quantum of the Seas moves out early it could work. For comparison here is the Breakaway schedule. Kind of interesting to note that they are both smaller than Quantum but were delivered 9 months apart while Quantum only has a 6 month lead.

Breakaway

Steel cutting: 9/21/2011

Keel laying: 5/4/2012 (226 days)

Float out: 2/26/2013 (298 days)

Conveyance: 3/10/2013 (12 days)

Delivery: 4/25/2013 (46 days)

Maiden: 4/30/2013 (5 days)

Steel to delivery: 582 days

249 days between float outs

Getaway

Steel cutting: 5/4/2012

Keel laying: 10/30/2012 (179 days)

Float out: 11/2/2013 (368 days)

Conveyance: 11/14/2013 (12 days)

Delivery: 1/06/2014* (53 days)

Maiden: 1/13/2014 (7 days)

Steel to delivery: 612 days

The difference in float out dates for Breakaway amounts to more than half the physical construction time while it accounts for less than half the quantum construction time.

Edited by DEIx15x8

Thanks for posting this update and timelines. I think once we see more pictures especially were they have positioned the dock divider now between Anthem and Quantum we will (maybe) have a better idea of what they are planning. If that divider is too forward then, hmmm???

This one is strange though. Have they ever floated out a third/half of a new build?

Thanks for posting this update and timelines. I think once we see more pictures especially were they have positioned the dock divider now between Anthem and Quantum we will (maybe) have a better idea of what they are planning. If that divider is too forward then, hmmm???

This one is strange though. Have they ever floated out a third/half of a new build?

They only float forward when a full lower block assembly is complete.

My bet is Anthem will be built first, floated out to an external dock in Spring for the upper deck works, then they complete Quantum and float her out as per her original schedule and this would be "the big announcement" .

Otherwise for the next x months until all Quantums blocks are laid and she can be moved forward you've got a third of the hall unused and Anthems blocks all ready??

I don't think this is possible, but just want to throw it out there. Would it be feasible or possible that they can lay sections of the Anthem keel, without upper blocks, and then lift the whole thing with a crane up, float Quantum out (or just forward), and then replace the Anthem keel section?? They could even swap spots if the Quantum can fit under the keel. Puzzler here. But that half wall that they close off the dock with to fill with water definitely looks like its closed in the same area as what was the middle of the Getaway. Another thought....if you've seen the special on tv where they build the Disney ship (not at MW, but in general), they did it in two halves in two yards. Sealed up and made a temp wall to water tight the ship, and towed it out to sea and to the second yard to mate with the other half. Maybe they'll do that with Anthem? Float it out and then put it back in and assemble the other half??

I believe they did this with the Disney Fantasy. If I remember correctly, they built the back half in the hall and then floated in the front half of the ship after the Celebrity ship in front of her was floated out.

They only float forward when a full lower block assembly is complete.

My bet is Anthem will be built first, floated out to an external dock in Spring for the upper deck works, then they complete Quantum and float her out as per her original schedule and this would be "the big announcement" .

Otherwise for the next x months until all Quantums blocks are laid and she can be moved forward you've got a third of the hall unused and Anthems blocks all ready??

That process seems like a lot of work and in reverse order. Why wouldn't they do it the same way they did NCL Breakaway and Getaway. Worked out just fine as we all have witnessed.

I don't think this is possible, but just want to throw it out there. Would it be feasible or possible that they can lay sections of the Anthem keel, without upper blocks, and then lift the whole thing with a crane up, float Quantum out (or just forward), and then replace the Anthem keel section?? They could even swap spots if the Quantum can fit under the keel. Puzzler here. But that half wall that they close off the dock with to fill with water definitely looks like its closed in the same area as what was the middle of the Getaway. Another thought....if you've seen the special on tv where they build the Disney ship (not at MW, but in general), they did it in two halves in two yards. Sealed up and made a temp wall to water tight the ship, and towed it out to sea and to the second yard to mate with the other half. Maybe they'll do that with Anthem? Float it out and then put it back in and assemble the other half??

I think that is feasible. But what is the max crane lift capacity? I saw/read somewhere that some of the cranes are in the range of 800 tons. Not sure if that is the max they can lift or not.

The process used with the Disney ship is also very intersting.

That process seems like a lot of work and in reverse order. Why wouldn't they do it the same way they did NCL Breakaway and Getaway. Worked out just fine as we all have witnessed.

Don't forget that Getaway wasn't due to float out until January so any plans they had originally would have been to expand Quantum from January. Plus there are only 5 months between them. Was the only reason I could think of that they'd lay Anthems Keel. If they thought the ships could be built say a month quicker each plus the extra months from early Getaway departure if they could squeeze in Anthem and still meet Quantums timeline ..

:confused:

Don't forget that Getaway wasn't due to float out until January so any plans they had originally would have been to expand Quantum from January. Plus there are only 5 months between them. Was the only reason I could think of that they'd lay Anthems Keel. If they thought the ships could be built say a month quicker each plus the extra months from early Getaway departure if they could squeeze in Anthem and still meet Quantums timeline ..

:confused:

Well I suppose anything could be possible. The RC news tomorrow from UK should be telling. Good luck to all of you in the UK.

I tweeted Royal Carribean PR yesterday after they tweeted the image of the Anthem keel:

Keel in this location just for ceremony?! Shouldn't it be at other end of hall, 'behind' #QuantumofSeas?

I just got this response:

Royal Caribbean PR@RoyalCaribPR 54m

No they're each at the proper spots. Here's a bonus pic of Quantum in drydock for having a such a good eye!

BZhsqvhCAAE1qnv.jpg:large

I just tweeted back asking them basically "Huh?"

Edited by Lloyd555

I tweeted Royal Carribean PR yesterday after they tweeted the image of the Anthem keel:

Keel in this location just for ceremony?! Shouldn't it be at other end of hall, 'behind' #QuantumofSeas?

I just got this response:

Royal Caribbean PR@RoyalCaribPR54m

No they're each at the proper spots. Here's a bonus pic of Quantum in drydock for having a such a good eye!

BZhsqvhCAAE1qnv.jpg:large

I just tweeted back asking them basically "Huh?"

That is interesting Lloyd. Looking at the new picture it seems that Quantum has the longer part of the building dock. I cannot see the dock divider here.

That is interesting Lloyd. Looking at the new picture it seems that Quantum has the longer part of the building dock. I cannot see the dock divider here.

I think that was shortly after Getaway left.

I can see tomorrow's announcement " Due to the early finishing of Getaway - (was original due delivery April 2014) Meyr werft have announced that they can complete both Anthem and Quantum in a shorter time"

The planners when ordered would have expected Getaway in front of her until Feb time so next 3 months is bonus time!!

6 months to get Anthems blocks in and then float her out May to finish upper decks and add the arm etc outside. May-Aug complete Quantum inside, Anthem outside.

Obviously quantum has cruise pax so focus and Ems conveyence would be her first and then maybe Anthem Dec/Jan - a few months earlier..

What if they are some how going to complete both close together. Maybe Quantum will have a few days lead on Anthem so that Anthem arrives in Southampton to wish Quantum a farwell on her transatlantic. They could then do a dual christening across the pond, Quantum in NYC harbor and Anthem in Southampton both christened at once and streamed to each other. Could be an amazing thing to see and in this digital world it's the kind of live event that is more incredible to watch online than in person. They would certainly get Oasis level news reports for what would have otherwise been rather insignificant news.