Check your reservations -- mine just got CANCELLED

Cruise Envy

With some cruisers booking so way ahead, this is a small risk that is taken. I see some people booking 2 years ahead. I don't quite understand it, as I, usually don't book more than 6 months ahead and frequently later. I have no idea what I am doing 2 years from now. :) Next year is still up in the air except for 2 cruises in January. I know, I be going to Alaska twice, depends on the late deals, and Europe later fall, again, what deal/s surface. I don't care what cabin I get- which is important to a lot of people. But, I have never had a cruise canceled with my later bookings. Pure luck.

Good thing there are many options available.

I don't usually book that far ahead either but for the Allure I booked awhile ago for a cruise in February 2015 to get a specific cabin.

It is the last inside balcony facing the aqua theater.

Bill

Normally we are last minute travelers.

But we have planned out a month long Europe trip with 2 weeks of that on the NCL Spirit. We planned that 9 months in advance. I have $30k worth of nonrefundable first class airfare already booked. Along with $10k worth of flight hoppers inside of Europe and another $10k on rooms. I hope NCL doesn't cancel my cruise. That would suck.

In my spam folder I found the explanation email that indeed, they are taking her straight to Tampa after dry dock.

I spoke to my PVP this morning and was able to grab the same cabins for the 11/23/14 cruise now out of Tampa. He is supposed to call me back when he finds my deposit and gets my prices adjusted.

I agree with RuthlessBoss, I doubt many had non-refundable arrangements yet. It was just jarring to have the cancellation come out of nowhere. Plus we now have a longer drive to port. On the upside, we have (IMHO) better ports (Western Caribbean vs Bahamas).

The eastern/western itinerary from Tampa would be worth the extra drive to me. I live just over an hour from Baltimore, but the itinerary is just so underwhelming in my opinion.

As for those who had booked the November one, I doubt if too many will lose out on hotels and airfare. How many actually book a full year in advance?

Not quite a year I guess, but I booked my hotel same day I booked my cruise 213 days out.

So beside myself... just got cancellation notices for my 2014 cruise on the Pride. I didn't cancel. On the phone with Carnival trying to figure out what happened...

I still have not received a cancellation email for my 11/30/14 Pride Booking!!

I just happen to go to fare viewer and then realized my cruise was gone. Then today I got a FTTF cancelation email... But no official cruise cancelation email!

Anybody rebook and get a great/better deal?

But we have planned out a month long Europe trip with 2 weeks of that on the NCL Spirit. We planned that 9 months in advance. I have $30k worth of nonrefundable first class airfare already booked. Along with $10k worth of flight hoppers inside of Europe and another $10k on rooms. I hope NCL doesn't cancel my cruise. That would suck.

PLEASE. Get travel insurance - if anything happens, you can't lose all that money.

I spend a month in Europe every year. My fees are no where near what yours are (but I do not pay for flights from the US. first class, which I just did round trip Barcelona last month) I use Flybe and Easy Jet, between the UK/Europe, those flights are short. :)

It sounds like more than 2 are going. Enjoy your trip.

PLEASE. Get travel insurance - if anything happens, you can't lose all that money.

Unless you can afford to self-insure.

Remember, you would need insurance against the cruise being cancelled. The insurance company is figuring that possibility plus a tidy profit for themselves. It is the profit for them which you save, which can really add up if you travel a lot. But you have to have deep enough pockets to survive being really unlucky. More or less like aggressive investing in the stock market.

I traveled to more than 100 countries with no insurance, no losses. But when I neared age 70 bought family evacuation insurance only (medical has always been covered, even by my Medicare suppl.) Think of the thousands, or tens of thousands I have saved. Of course, I was never unlucky in my travels (though evidently the Greeks were right -- the gods even it off in the end)

With some cruisers booking so way ahead, this is a small risk that is taken. I see some people booking 2 years ahead. I don't quite understand it, as I, usually don't book more than 6 months ahead and frequently later. I have no idea what I am doing 2 years from now. :) Next year is still up in the air except for 2 cruises in January. I know, I be going to Alaska twice, depends on the late deals, and Europe later fall, again, what deal/s surface. I don't care what cabin I get- which is important to a lot of people. But, I have never had a cruise canceled with my later bookings. Pure luck.

Good thing there are many options available.

I usually book at least a year in advance for most of my cruises because I want to pick specific cabins (usually aft) and always look for unusual cabins that might be larger or have a larger balcony than normal. It may be further out than that for Europe, and we are already looking at Alaska for 2015. I usually get very good rates and only see the rates go up after that. I don't book under a rate that can't be cancelled with no penalty before final payment so if plans change I just cancel it.

The travel insurance for the trip was $3k and that didn't cover everything if the cruise was cancelled. We would still go just not do the cruise. This price for insurance is when we originally talked to a TA.

We didn't like the travel plans from the TA and she wasn't willing to change so we booked it on our own. We are going to take the gamble without insurance. Although it would not be fun to loose the money we would be ok. 40 years old and I have never missed a trip yet but also never booked 9 months out. Lol.

Thanks for the advice.

I just booked the Pride for the Nov. 23, 2014 sailing out of Tampa to the W. Caribbean. I had no idea it had been sailing out of another port. I just wanted a 7-day cruise out of Tampa because we live near there and the Legend is moving to Australia. I was delighted to find a sister ship will be taking over. After I booked, I went to see if there was a roll call this far out and was surprised there was. Then I looked at the last page of messages and saw the cruise had been cancelled. I was confused until I realized the Nov. 23rd cruise that was cancelled was not the one I just booked.

Sorry your cruise was cancelled and I hope you find something just as nice to take in its place.

Edited by Djptcp

In my spam folder I found the explanation email that indeed, they are taking her straight to Tampa after dry dock.

I spoke to my PVP this morning and was able to grab the same cabins for the 11/23/14 cruise now out of Tampa. He is supposed to call me back when he finds my deposit and gets my prices adjusted.

I agree with RuthlessBoss, I doubt many had non-refundable arrangements yet. It was just jarring to have the cancellation come out of nowhere. Plus we now have a longer drive to port. On the upside, we have (IMHO) better ports (Western Caribbean vs Bahamas).

Maybe not, but a bet there are quite a lot of people who booked the Thanksgiving cruise, and were looking forward to driving to their cruise. I almost booked that cruise, but went with Grandeur because it offered one more day and one additional port (Key West).