Norwegian vs. Holland America

pxn748

Hi, we are long time Holland America cruisers who are thinking about sailing on the Dawn in April of 2014. HAL does not seem to sail out of Florida that month. The Dawn has an itinerary we really like, but we know almost nothing about Norwegian. We would really appreciate it if people who have sailed on both could do a compare and contrast for us.

Hi, we are long time Holland America cruisers who are thinking about sailing on the Dawn in April of 2014. HAL does not seem to sail out of Florida that month. The Dawn has an itinerary we really like, but we know almost nothing about Norwegian. We would really appreciate it if people who have sailed on both could do a compare and contrast for us.

HAL still tries to stick to the "formal dress code" tradition while NCL has scrapped the idea and has become more casual. NCL has a "dress up or not" night so everybody chooses how they want to dress. That night the photogs are out in force for those who want formal pictures.

Most of the HAL ships are older and smaller than NCL ships.

I won't comment on the food except to say that I like both and I like the freestyle dining concept.

I doubt that you would have a bad cruise on either unless you are unable to adapt to the more relaxed atmosphere of NCL.

Edited by swedish weave

We love NCL but really miss afternoon tea on HAL, miss those fancy little desserts, also the other special tea and dessert events (although we haven't been on HAL for a few years so could be different now)

We enjoy the more casual dining on NCL now that we have gotten used to it, seems we are able to pack less.

We loved the Indonesian staff on HAL but also enjoy interacting with NCL staff as well.

For us, choosing between the two just depends on the departure port and itinerary, we would love to sail HAL again but it hasn't worked out for a few years now, we are very satisfied with NCL and are looking forward to sailing on the Sun in 10 days!

Edited by coscab

Like the previous poster, we like both as well.

We choose based on price and itinerary factoring in the much better loyalty program on NCL. (You get better goodies at 75 days on NCL than you do at 200 on HAL.) HAL has the more exotic itineraries that NCL doesn't.

Unless you are the really formal type, we will like the Dawn and NCL.

I've found the buffet better on HAL and entertainment better on NCL.

Food is fine on NCL and you don't have to eat at specialty restaurants unless you want to. We had a great time on the Dawn Western itinerary out of Tampa last January. We did the Western itinerary on the Veendam a few years earlier. We had a great time on both cruises.

We have sailed twice on HAL Statendam -- once with DH's mom (Hawaii) and once with my mom (Alaska). We will be cruising the Norwegian Star which is the same 'class' as the Dawn, in 17 days (woohoo)! so I can't really compare until about a month from now, but I can reflect:

The inside cabins on the Statendam were roomy enough for three adults leaving the sofa made up as a bed the whole time and still having one chair to sit to put your shoes on. On most if not all of the NCL ships this would not be possible; from the floorplan the insides look very much like the shall-we-say cozy standard staterooms on the river ship Vodohod MSRus -- your only seat IS the bed and the unlucky third person would be sleeping on a fold-down-from-wall bunk above the other unlucky second person's cot!

As far as the dining experience, when travelling with his mom, we kept the assigned seating in MDR; it was just the three of us at a four-person table though, so maybe I don't have a good feel for what it would be with strangers. We did 'dress for dinner', my DH even took his tux. My mom is not a dress-up kind of person, also my husband and I travel MUCH lighter now, so on the last trip we all just took dark slacks and ate at the buffet for that week. I remember the food at the buffet as good and not boring, which is to say I don't remember it being bad! The buffet restaurant was open all the time for coffee/soft-drinks; between meals you could get a cuppa and sit on the raised area near the windows to view the shore and marine mammals swimming near the ship if you didn't have a window in your cabin!

I do remember on both sailings, the "enrichment talks" were good and fun -- tropical flower arranging & sarong wrapping on the trip to Hawaii for example, and a great Eskimo woman with several different presentations on the Alaska voyage -- no one seems to talk about anything but shopping/port lectures on NCL. We will see!

Watching to see what others say, as well.

c520e52b4755e56e406f766e3588aa26.png

1f18e45d1d2e18733908514d444c3d59.png

8c6d697705f80a87f46b336f5a717085.png

132c04ec73a292f40a8fd493eef0c0af.png

Edited by crystalspin

I guess I should have mentioned that we are sailing on the Dawn Mar. 2, 2014, we are sailing with friends that have only sailed on HAL with us, this will be their first time on NCL, we are hoping they enjoy NCL as much as they enjoyed HAL.

There will be differences. I like both lines. I do perfer the better selection of specialty resturants on NCL. The decour on HAL I like more, you know it more nautical. Also I think all the HAL ships have lounges on the highest decks which I like to frequent. I personally liked NCL entertainment better. The service seems more refined on HAL, maybe its the nice uniforms the crew wear, it gives that impession anyway. We went to Panama on a 10 day cruise and the average age on HAL was about my age 40 to 50. NCL cruises I been on say 30 to 45 average.

If HAL sailed to Bermuda from Boston, I would deffinitly breakup the routine every now and again.

Jon

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in what's being said here too b/c basically I've only cruised twice and both with NCL. I've so loved cruising with NCL, we sailed on the Star, Dawn's sister ship, and the Epic so only a little experience.

What I'm interested in and perhaps most concerned with is: 1. The dining, since on most other cruise lines it's set time and yes I know most have the "anytime dining" but most pax are so used to the other type of dining, I'm wondering if that's a disadvantage for new comers to NCL. 2. There is so much discussion regarding the dress code of the various cruise lines and many new pax really don't understand the joy of being able to dress casually, not slovenly but nice resort casual.

How do you all feel about this, please? and being honest is all I'm asking.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in what's being said here too b/c basically I've only cruised twice and both with NCL. I've so loved cruising with NCL, we sailed on the Star, Dawn's sister ship, and the Epic so only a little experience.

What I'm interested in and perhaps most concerned with is: 1. The dining, since on most other cruise lines it's set time and yes I know most have the "anytime dining" but most pax are so used to the other type of dining, I'm wondering if that's a disadvantage for new comers to NCL. 2. There is so much discussion regarding the dress code of the various cruise lines and many new pax really don't understand the joy of being able to dress casually, not slovenly but nice resort casual.

How do you all feel about this, please? and being honest is all I'm asking.

I was new to NCL a couple cruises ago. There was no disadvantage that I can see with freestyle dinning. I do understand that when you meet good table mates on a (non freestyle) cruise, you look forward to seeing them at dinner and dicussing your days. I was fun, and I do sometimes miss it. But not so much that I overwhelmingly want to do it again.

The dress. I don't recall folks on NCL looking like slobs. They are dressed somewhat down from say polo shirts and kakee pants. But they are usually in clean pants or shorts and short sleeve button up shirts or perhaps t-shirts. On the optional dress up night you may see quite a few folks dressed real sharp and the girls looking good in nice outfits. Maybe not tuxes and as many suit and ties as on HAL.

There is a good time to be had either way. when I sail NCL I don't bring a suit and tie. I do when I sail HAL or Princess.

I hope you do enjoy yourself.

I have almost 40 with Norwegian and 3 with Holland America in the past few years. Below are what I found similar and what I found different:

Friendly and engaging crew on both yet meet and greets and past passenger parties better on Norwegian

HAL ships (Veendam, Eurodam, Westerdam) have a nautical decor and classic ship feel while Norwegian has fun, quirky, colorful (but not neon like CCL).

HAL has formal nights while Norwegian has dress up or not nights...Norwegian has photo opportunities every night so you can do pictures however you want.

HAL has awesome happy hour specials at different bars at different times of day and Norwegian has drink of the day specials as well as martini tastings, margarita tastings, wine tastings, etc. I think Hal does too...?

Norwegian are the experts on freestyle dining while HALs anytime dining still seats everyone at the tables downstairs in order of their arrival. I know you can request special seating...meaning a table for only the number in your party...but I think this sometimes confuses their flow.

No Norwegian ship can beat HALs crow nest idea...a concept I thought fantastic the first time I saw it. Know that the Dawn does not have such a viewing lounge anymore in the front of this particular ship....they turned it into suites.

Nothing beats Norwegian's suite life although I loved the giant aft wrap around suite balcony on Westerdam

Norwegian night entertainment is better in my opinion.

The cabins are bigger on Holland America ships

Norwegian has more restaurant options but HAL does a nice job trying to catch up.

The Dawn's pool area is set up different than HAL...no sliding roof to close it up. The back of Dawn has kids area and pool which I did not see such on HAL.

HAL used to allow passengers bringing wine onboard with no corkage fee at all...but they just changed it...Norwegian always had a 15 dollar fee per bottle.

Other than formal night on HAL, I find passengers on both lines dress the same all the other days and night.

The key for me is to not expect a Norwegian experience when I am sailing HAL. I expect a HAL experience. People get tripped up when they do likes and dislikes while they are cruising a line never tried. Of course you can't help it, but having an open mind is a secret to success...trying something different is good! Have fun on your trip!

coka

Edited by coka

I miss Holland now that we cruise exclusively with NCL. I beg to differ. The average age of Pax are 70-80.

Not the (HAL) cruise I was on, especially not (NCL). Was expecting it (HAL), but was not the case.

Edited by NH Cruisers

It has been years since we have sailed HAL, so my comments are a little old and maybe the memory a little rusty. Our two favorite lines, we have done all the mass marketed ones, plus a few others happen to be NCL and HAL. They are very different I will add. The food in the main dining rooms on HAL are better, but the choices of alternative dining isn't nearly as good. The formality on HAL does not exist on NCL, which is the thing we like the most about NCL. The entertainment on NCL is much better. The service is great on both lines, but I think NCLs is less friendlier, but not as readily available. Here is the how the couple we were with on our last HAL cruise put it: they also love NCL. HAL is missing the energy you find on NCL.

So, if formality and the feeling we used to get years ago when many of us started sailing is important you might be a little disappointed in NCL. If fun and great mixture of ages is important you will love NCL. We are thinking of doing the repo cruise on the Dawn the end of April.

Oh, one more thing we loved about HAL, the cabins are larger and you can order full breakfast in your cabin, this isn't the case on NCL. The only breakfast you can have is continental.

I have almost 40 with Norwegian and 3 with Holland America in the past few years. Below are what I found similar and what I found different:

Friendly and engaging crew on both yet meet and greets and past passenger parties better on Norwegian

HAL ships (Veendam, Eurodam, Westerdam) have a nautical decor and classic ship feel while Norwegian has fun, quirky, colorful (but not neon like CCL).

HAL has formal nights while Norwegian has dress up or not nights...Norwegian has photo opportunities every night so you can do pictures however you want.

HAL has awesome happy hour specials at different bars at different times of day and Norwegian has drink of the day specials as well as martini tastings, margarita tastings, wine tastings, etc. I think Hal does too...?

Norwegian are the experts on freestyle dining while HALs anytime dining still seats everyone at the tables downstairs in order of their arrival. I know you can request special seating...meaning a table for only the number in your party...but I think this sometimes confuses their flow.

No Norwegian ship can beat HALs crow nest idea...a concept I thought fantastic the first time I saw it. Know that the Dawn does not have such a viewing lounge anymore in the front of this particular ship....they turned it into suites.

Nothing beats Norwegian's suite life although I loved the giant aft wrap around suite balcony on Westerdam

Norwegian night entertainment is better in my opinion.

The cabins are bigger on Holland America ships

Norwegian has more restaurant options but HAL does a nice job trying to catch up.

The Dawn's pool area is set up different than HAL...no sliding roof to close it up. The back of Dawn has kids area and pool which I did not see such on HAL.

HAL used to allow passengers bringing wine onboard with no corkage fee at all...but they just changed it...Norwegian always had a 15 dollar fee per bottle.

Other than formal night on HAL, I find passengers on both lines dress the same all the other days and night.

The key for me is to not expect a Norwegian experience when I am sailing HAL. I expect a HAL experience. People get tripped up when they do likes and dislikes while they are cruising a line never tried. Of course you can't help it, but having an open mind is a secret to success...trying something different is good! Have fun on your trip!

coka

Everything coka said, with a few additions.

HAL is a little more upscale than NCL. Real washclothes in the public restrooms. Real flowers (not plastic) throughtout the ship. Teak wood deck furniture and promenade deck (that encircles the whole ship without having to go up a deck or down a deck). More wood & brass as sailing ships of old. And the best beds afloat!

Everything coka said, with a few additions.

HAL is a little more upscale than NCL. Real washclothes in the public restrooms. Real flowers (not plastic) throughtout the ship. Teak wood deck furniture and promenade deck (that encircles the whole ship without having to go up a deck or down a deck). More wood & brass as sailing ships of old. And the best beds afloat!

The promenade deck on some of the NCL ships encircles the ship (Star and Dawn examples)

I am not sure what would make a ship upscale, but I have found that both lines have features on some of their ships that could be considered better than the other. I guess it would be whether you like the old fashioned or modern decor and furnishings.

Edited by swedish weave

Having sailed on both lines the past year or so I can honestly say if you really really really like HAL you will not like NCL.

The food in the main dining room on NCL is far inferior than HAL. In order to get equal dishes on NCL you need to go to the specialty dining venues with upcharges. If you don't mind spending between $30 and $100 per couple per night then this is not an issue. Many people feel you are nickle or dimed on NCL because of this.

The cabins are smaller as mentioned before. In our opinion its not an issue as long as you are not bringng a 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. They become non functional especially when the sofa is converted to a bed even on a family size balcony.

Its also less formal with no set dining times or dress code (within reason). Again, if this is important to you then you will notice it and it will take something away from your cruise.

Only you can decide if these issues are enough to ruin your vacation or not. Having this said we prefer HAL and RCCL over NCL and would choose either of those lines over NCL. We are, however, booked on another NCL cruise this January as we can live with the NCL issues.

Having sailed on both lines the past year or so I can honestly say if you really really really like HAL you will not like NCL.

The food in the main dining room on NCL is far inferior than HAL. In order to get equal dishes on NCL you need to go to the specialty dining venues with upcharges. If you don't mind spending between $30 and $100 per couple per night then this is not an issue. Many people feel you are nickle or dimed on NCL because of this.

The cabins are smaller as mentioned before. In our opinion its not an issue as long as you are not bringng a 3rd or 4th person in the cabin. They become non functional especially when the sofa is converted to a bed even on a family size balcony.

Its also less formal with no set dining times or dress code (within reason). Again, if this is important to you then you will notice it and it will take something away from your cruise.

Only you can decide if these issues are enough to ruin your vacation or not. Having this said we prefer HAL and RCCL over NCL and would choose either of those lines over NCL. We are, however, booked on another NCL cruise this January as we can live with the NCL issues.

$100 a night; what NCL ship were you on? yes, $30 a couple or even $50 but I have never paid anywhere near $100. If you are talking about with wine, it could run that high, but no matter what line you are on, you will pay extra for wine. Please explain, so others will know what ship and how you paid $100?

As for space, it doesn't appear this poster is traveling with 3 or 4 in a cabin, so the point is probably a moot one.

We have been long time HAL people too, but we were so disappointed with our last cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The food was not as good as in the past and the cabins were unimpressive for being only a year old. We had the worst rack of lamb ever in the pinnacle grill for $30pp. We did enjoy the Tamarind Asian fusion specialty restaurant and they had the best food on the ship, IMO.

On the NA we had a VA balcony cabin and it felt cramped. . Our VA cabin was 174 sg ft and the balcony was 46 sqft and we paid over $1100 pp on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise the first week of December. Our cruise next week on the Jewel is also 7 nights but we booked a Mini Suite with 231 sq ft and 54 sq ft balcony for just a little over $900pp. HAL does not have an equivalent category to the NCL mini suites, the closest they have are a few SY suites that are way over priced for what you get.

We booked NCL because of the freestyle concept and total casual dress so we do not have bring our hated dress up clothes on a warm weather Caribbean cruise.

$100 a night; what NCL ship were you on? yes, $30 a couple or even $50 but I have never paid anywhere near $100. If you are talking about with wine, it could run that high, but no matter what line you are on, you will pay extra for wine. Please explain, so others will know what ship and how you paid $100?

As for space, it doesn't appear this poster is traveling with 3 or 4 in a cabin, so the point is probably a moot one.

I am not sure but I think I have read that the Ocean Blu??? on the Breakaway is 50. per person, perhaps that is what they meant by that.

The promenade deck on some of the NCL ships encircles the ship (Star and Dawn examples)

I am not sure what would make a ship upscale, but I have found that both lines have features on some of their ships that could be considered better than the other. I guess it would be whether you like the old fashioned or modern decor and furnishings.

Teak decks (ncl) make it upscale, compared to the hard rubber decks (NCL). Just like a linolium floor in my kitchen, but a marble floor in a rich guys house. Upscale is more expensive fittings and decks and what not. It is all the small ,sometime not noticed, details.

you can order full breakfast in your cabin, this isn't the case on NCL. The only breakfast you can have is continental.

Can even order that full breakfast the day you debark the ship, and can stay in your cabin till your luggage color tag for leaving the ship is called.

I really liked HAL, but I will say their MDR food seemed more bland to me, I added more salt and pepper. Their MDR do not at all compare with NCLs specialty resturants IMO.

Jon

Edited by NH Cruisers

I am not sure but I think I have read that the Ocean Blu??? on the Breakaway is 50. per person, perhaps that is what they meant by that.

Yes you are correct its $49 per person on the Breakaway.

The other point that I wanted the OP to know is that the specialty restaurents are where you need to go to get not only better foods but items that are typically in the free MDR on other lines. For example if they were expecting to get a lobster tail or shrimp cocltail or something out of the ordinary like escargo or Osso Buco that I have found in the free HAL MDR, are only available in the NCL pay restaurants.

Edited by bjlaac

The other point that I wanted the OP to know is that the specialty restaurents are where you need to go to get not only better foods but items that are typically in the free MDR on other lines. For example if they were expecting to get a lobster tail or shrimp cocltail or something out of the ordinary like escargo or Osso Buco that I have found in the free HAL MDR, are only available in the NCL pay restaurants.[/QUOTE]

On our last cruise on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam in 2011 we found no escargots, Osso Bucco, lamb chops or lamb shanks in the MDR like we did and loved in previous HAL cruises. I never had a lobster tail on any HAL cruise that was worth eating either. Red Lobster has better lobster than HAL. This was one of the defining reasons we left HAL for NCL this year because we can get most of those items in the specialty restaurants if we want and save a lot on the cost of the cruise. Also I am hoping on NCL we do not have fight off the hoverounds in the hallways on the way to the MDR's.:eek:

The other point that I wanted the OP to know is that the specialty restaurents are where you need to go to get not only better foods but items that are typically in the free MDR on other lines. For example if they were expecting to get a lobster tail or shrimp cocltail or something out of the ordinary like escargo or Osso Buco that I have found in the free HAL MDR, are only available in the NCL pay restaurants.

Your statements are inaccurate. There is (or was) a worldwide shortage of escargot and most of the lines discontinued it or limited it because they simply could not get it.

Lobster and shrimp was served in the MDR on my last NCL cruise as well as my last Princess cruise.

If you are trying to influence the decisions of others, you can select many isolated items to bolster your case, but that doesn't present the whole truth or the entire picture.

Edited by swedish weave