Best Quality European River Cruise

T1MBO

Hi

This is my first posting, so please be patient.

I wish to take my wife on the best quality European River Cruise available...please can you suggest the best cruise line to use to achieve my goals...Many thanks

Hello T1MBO and welcome to CC.

My first suggestion is to give as much info about what is important to you and your wife. How important is the itinerary, size of room, food (very subjective), etc, etc. Have you you explored the various web sites and looked at the ships, rooms, dates of travel? Quality will mean many different things to many different people and everyone may have their favorite line.

I've always thought the very best quality in river cruising comes from the American company Tauck. As suggested please take the time to search the many river cruise companies available but I will be very surprised if you find one with better quality and reputation than Tauck.

Welcome to river cruising as many have said before - it DOES become addictive.

Another important aspect for some, is the nationality mix of fellow passengers, some are largely American, other largely Australia, other a mix of American, Canadian, Australia, New Zealand, English.

We were advise to take Avalon to get a good mix, which we did and really enjoyed it. The other passengers on board can make or break a good cruise or bus tour

We just recently returned from our first river cruise so I don't have any others to compare it with. We went with Scenic Tours and it was remarkable. Everything was first class, and we had a wonderful time with the mix of passengers. I can't wait to go again.

I own and drive a Kia, my second one, and I think it's perfect for what I need in a car BUT I would never suggest it's the best quality car on the market. To compare it with a Mercedes or BMW would be folly. There are a number of good river cruise companies around but only very few could be considered to be in the best quality class.

Go online and order brochures from the following companies.... I apologize if I have forgotten one!

1. Tauck

2. AMA

3. Avalon

4. Uniworld

5. Scenic

6. Vantage

7. Viking - note once on their mailing list even dying won't stop the endless brochures! This applies to Viking :)

All these companies will send their brochures Free by just making a request online. It really helps to be able to study the different company offerings. I research online and compare itineraries side by side. They also show pictures of each ship and info about cabins in the literature.

All this info is also available on each company website, I just like the paper.

Be sure and carefully consider what is included and not with each company, each has a different version of All Inclusive.

Have fun!

Edited by nana541

Hello T1MBO and welcome to CC.

My first suggestion is to give as much info about what is important to you and your wife. How important is the itinerary, size of room, food (very subjective), etc, etc. Have you you explored the various web sites and looked at the ships, rooms, dates of travel? Quality will mean many different things to many different people and everyone may have their favorite line.

I second this advice.... Quality is so subjective, that it would help if you could identify what things are important to you in a "quality" experience.

I own and drive a Kia, my second one, and I think it's perfect for what I need in a car BUT I would never suggest it's the best quality car on the market. To compare it with a Mercedes or BMW would be folly. There are a number of good river cruise companies around but only very few could be considered to be in the best quality class.

Agree with this as well. T1MBO - is cost a factor here? Because, there are definitely differences in the cost of the cruises (time of year, cabin choice, level of "all inclusive" etc...) It would be a shame to decide that only the Mercedes cruise will do, when you are working with a Kia budget.

Fran

Go online and order brochures from the following companies.... I apologize if I have forgotten one!

1. Tauck

2. AMA

3. Avalon

4. Uniworld

5. Scenic

6. Vantage

7. Viking - note once on their mailing list even dying won't stop the endless brochures! This applies to Viking :)

All these companies will send their brochures Free by just making a request online. It really helps to be able to study the different company offerings. I research online and compare itineraries side by side. They also show pictures of each ship and info about cabins in the literature.

All this info is also available on each company website, I just like the paper.

Be sure and carefully consider what is included and not with each company, each has a different version of All Inclusive.

Have fun!

I prefer Vantage for myself however, my Mom used Tauck and loved it and seeing the menus and pictures that she saved, I would describe Tauck as THE top of the line. What nana says about getting off Viking mailing list also applys to Vantage! And probably to all of them. I often wonder how much the cruise would cost if they didn't mail those 60 page full color magazines every week!:D

I prefer Vantage for myself however, my Mom used Tauck and loved it and seeing the menus and pictures that she saved, I would describe Tauck as THE top of the line. What nana says about getting off Viking mailing list also applys to Vantage! And probably to all of them. I often wonder how much the cruise would cost if they didn't mail those 60 page full color magazines every week!:D

Each day as I go through the mail and make a pile of the ocean and river cruise catalogs, I comfort myself that I'm just doing my bit to keep the US Postal Service limping along... ;););)

Hello,

Hi

This is my first posting, so please be patient.

I wish to take my wife on the best quality European River Cruise available...please can you suggest the best cruise line to use to achieve my goals...Many thanks

I have just noticed that you are in Britain. Have you talked to a couple of TA's in your area? Try a big Thomas Cook and a different independent TA perhaps and get brochures to see what might strike your wife as a "must see".

As you are trying to find the best, do not go for rivercruiseline based in the UK, that is my judgement based on the ship I saw moored on the Rhine recently and the critical posts here on CC.

notamermaid

P.S.: Viking also advertises heavily in Britain, even on television. I wonder how much money goes into that. :(

and to let you know what my TA thinks(he only does luxury lines)as we are FINALLY able to affored them.

He listed the top 3,Tauck,Scenic and AMA.Will not handle the others.But I m sure many agents may have their favorites. I ve taken 10 river cruises and AMA my favorite SO FAR,but have a Scenic booked for June.

Do get expert advise,and good deals plus cash back from a trusted. TA.

I won t travel on any of the lines that don t allow them(like Vantage,Grand Circle,etc).

Try to 2 balcony, or 1 LARGE balcony new ships(not French).It makes a small room seem SO MUCH larger.Either that or spring for a suite.:)

Edited by alexandra cruiser
spelling