Coast Guard Inspection Dec 2nd Miami

cruisingxpert

Has anyone gone through this process? The message from Oceania is that anyone already in Miami on day of departure shouldn't show up before 3pm.

One person mentioned on our Roll Call that they had gone through that process and had been onboard by 1:30pm

Another person has been told by their TA that they won't even take their bags before 3 pm.

Anyone with tips about their experience of a Coast Guard inspection before boarding in Miami would be greatly appreciated.

CJ

In your final docs it will have the boarding time ...

It will depend on sailing time as you MUST be onboard 90 min prior to sailaway

We had a CDC inspection & did not get off utill after 9am & still in line for a taxi at 11 so people showing up early were just blocking things up ..they were not allowed in the building so piled up outside the doors

I would go after 1pm for sure

JMO

Lyn

In your final docs it will have the boarding time ...

It will depend on sailing time as you MUST be onboard 90 min prior to sailaway

We had a CDC inspection & did not get off utill after 9am & still in line for a taxi at 11 so people showing up early were just blocking things up ..they were not allowed in the building so piled up outside the doors

I would go after 1pm for sure

JMO

Lyn

Our final documents say 12Noon because we are in a PH category but that seems like it isn't going to happen.

CJ

Personally, I never show up before 3:30 no matter what cabin I have.... the ship sails at 5.

The crowds are gone, things flow smooth, no hassle... SO I miss a buffet..its not like I am going to starve .

Second since I never cruise less than 14 days I will have plenty of time to enjoy the ship and all on it without trying to squeeze a few more hours on the ship.

That's an inherent problem with the short cruise...there is this overwhelming sense of urgency... " the gott'a do's" that preoccupy people

Actualy the best boarding experience I ever had was in Venice, where the ship spent the first night in Venice. We showed up at pm.... and our bags beat us to the room... it was smooth as silk

So who cares how long an inspection takes... Arrive 4 hours after boarding begins or is supposed to and you preclude any problem!!!

Our final documents say 12Noon because we are in a PH category but that seems like it isn't going to happen.

CJ

Trust me, we arrived early at Terminal J and stood outside in very long lines whilst the Coast Guard did it's inspection. It was a madhouse. We were booked in an Oceania Suite and even as there are designated lines once in the terminal for the different cabin categories we still stood in line for sometime. We did get onboard by 1pm but my Mom did not get onboard until a little after 3pm. I would say we were in the outside line for well over an hour. This was not good for a lot of people who were mobility impaired (many) as there were no chairs provided for them nor any help from "O" staff. I must say this was our one and only complaint with "O" boarding in MIA. (I won't even get going on RIO:eek:)

Trust me, we arrived early at Terminal J and stood outside in very long lines whilst the Coast Guard did it's inspection. It was a madhouse. We were booked in an Oceania Suite and even as there are designated lines once in the terminal for the different cabin categories we still stood in line for sometime. We did get onboard by 1pm but my Mom did not get onboard until a little after 3pm. I would say we were in the outside line for well over an hour. This was not good for a lot of people who were mobility impaired (many) as there were no chairs provided for them nor any help from "O" staff. I must say this was our one and only complaint with "O" boarding in MIA. (I won't even get going on RIO:eek:)

Thank you DOJO466. I would hate to arrive at 3pm and find everyone was onboard but on the other hand, I don't want to stand in line outside for over an hour. I'm hoping that if I arrive around 1pm, I won't have to stand outside and won't be waiting forever to Board. Note to me - bring a good book.

Your remarks bring up another question. When did they take your bags from you? One of the Roll Call has been told by their TA that they won't even take your bags before 3pm.

CJ

Personally, I never show up before 3:30 no matter what cabin I have.... the ship sails at 5.

sort of contradicts your post in another thread where you state

Its pretty hard for you to be on board after they have to hand in the manifest...

1.5 hours in all the American or American influenced ports in what most lines require Arriving 1 hour before means you missed the boat because you will not be on the list,

Showing up 1.5 hours prior at the desk, gets you on the manifest.. and makes the cut of 90 min.... just

I doubt that if the ship starts boarding at 3 pm that they will sail by 5, more likely 6 to 6:30. Most boarding times that say 12:00 or 1:00 are best approached I have found at least 2.5 -3 hours hours later.

You can also call the ship and tell them you going to be late and get on the manifest.

My point is showing up later is better than showing up earlier.

and they were undergoing an inspection. The had everyone sit down in a nice airconditioned room and they had little sandwiches and water and tea and coffee. We didn't come first thing to board..probably about two hours after boarding was to start. We waited in that room close to another two hours. You can never tell how long the inspection will take.

Thank you DOJO466. I would hate to arrive at 3pm and find everyone was onboard but on the other hand, I don't want to stand in line outside for over an hour. I'm hoping that if I arrive around 1pm, I won't have to stand outside and won't be waiting forever to Board. Note to me - bring a good book.

Your remarks bring up another question. When did they take your bags from you? One of the Roll Call has been told by their TA that they won't even take your bags before 3pm.

CJ

The porters took our bigger bags when we arrived, we just had our personal bags. Thank goodness! I can't imagine what it would have been like if everybody's luggage was in this line. Terminal J has a HUGE storage area for bags where your luggage can be "parked" until allowed to board. I think someone's TA was probably trying to convince the traveler to "keep away" until the stated time to board.

I think you should be all right getting there at 1pm.

and they were undergoing an inspection. The had everyone sit down in a nice airconditioned room and they had little sandwiches and water and tea and coffee. We didn't come first thing to board..probably about two hours after boarding was to start. We waited in that room close to another two hours. You can never tell how long the inspection will take.

Thank you Caroldoll. Snacks and tea or coffee would be a nice touch:)

Showing up 1.5 hours prior at the desk, gets you on the manifest.. and makes the cut of 90 min.... just

I doubt that if the ship starts boarding at 3 pm that they will sail by 5, more likely 6 to 6:30. Most boarding times that say 12:00 or 1:00 are best approached I have found at least 2.5 -3 hours hours later.

You can also call the ship and tell them you going to be late and get on the manifest.

My point is showing up later is better than showing up earlier.

Some people arrive at the port a day early and must vacate their hotel rooms by noon at the latest. Yes they can rent a car and tour the area if they so choose, but many prefer to just get to the terminal to unload luggage etc. I do not like to arrive early either but the shuttle I take in from Fort Lauderdale arrives at the terminal @11:30. If I have to wait, I have to wait. And out of 5 MIA embarkations, there was only 1 where we did not get on the ship before noon and that was the one mentioned on this thread.

December 10, 2011, we had the same thing happen only we were not told of it before we arrived at the Miami port. We really did not find out what was causing the problem until after we were on the Marina. Huge mess, lines everywhere, not enough seats inside (at least it was not raining). We finally got on at maybe 3 pm and from that time on, everything was great! I think we would have boarded even later but we had our son with us in a wheelchair and I think they let us on a little early because of him.

We were told the first time a ship comes to a USA port after a long time away, the Coast Guard usually has an inspection. It seems like I remember that this was the first time ever for the Marina to be in a USA port so maybe it was a little more of a hassle because of that.

All this talk about Coast Guard and CDC inspections is making me nervous. We are due to end our Riviera cruise on Feb. 12th. Supposedly, arrival time in Miami is 6AM. We purchased non-refundable plane tickets for a domestic flight home leaving at 10:15 AM. Are you saying we may not even be off the ship by then?

All this talk about Coast Guard and CDC inspections is making me nervous. We are due to end our Riviera cruise on Feb. 12th. Supposedly, arrival time in Miami is 6AM. We purchased non-refundable plane tickets for a domestic flight home leaving at 10:15 AM. Are you saying we may not even be off the ship by then?

I think most Inspections are done prior to ship leaving port. They would probably be trying to shove you off as fast as possible if they were going to have an Inspection before departure.

Cj

You are certainly cutting your flight time way too close for comfort. Customs has to come onboard and sometimes it takes a while to clear the ship, especially for those who are not US citizens that do not show up at the required time to clear. That can delay the whole ship. Another time we disembarked to find out that all of us had to clear customs in the terminal and there were huge lines (not common). I hate to say this but I think you might miss your plane.

December 10, 2011, we had the same thing happen only we were not told of it before we arrived at the Miami port. We really did not find out what was causing the problem until after we were on the Marina. Huge mess, lines everywhere, not enough seats inside (at least it was not raining). We finally got on at maybe 3 pm and from that time on, everything was great! I think we would have boarded even later but we had our son with us in a wheelchair and I think they let us on a little early because of him.

We were told the first time a ship comes to a USA port after a long time away, the Coast Guard usually has an inspection. It seems like I remember that this was the first time ever for the Marina to be in a USA port so maybe it was a little more of a hassle because of that.

Same sailing as us. What a MESS!

You are certainly cutting your flight time way too close for comfort. Customs has to come onboard and sometimes it takes a while to clear the ship, especially for those who are not US citizens that do not show up at the required time to clear. T

Or those US citizens that do not declare purchases & are repeatedly call to the see the Customs agents

We had 1 woman refuse to go because she felt she did not have to declare ship's purchases as they were Duty free :eek:

Several passengers finally embarrassed her enough she went to report in & the ship was cleared shortly after

I would have a back up plan ready or change the flights until later ;)

Anything is possible and surprised you have a domestic flight unless you change planes to get back to Ontario. Anyway, backing up from your flights departure time of 10:15, you should be at the airport at least an hour and a half early if not 2 hours depending on the day of the week which will also affect your drive to the airport so now we have 8:45 at the airport. Assume good traffic and take another 20 to 30 minutes means leaving the port by 8:15.

Just because the ship is scheduled to arrive at 6 AM doesn't mean it will. Would assume nobody would get off until 7:30 at the very earliest and that would be those carrying all of their luggage off the ship by themselves. If that is the case, you might just make your flight but, add at least another another 30 to 45 minutes if you are in the first group called and then you have to find your luggage and go thru immigration and customs. That puts you out looking for a taxi or your pre-ordered transportation by 8:30 to 9 AM when you should have been at the airport on a day without long lines.

Taking Oceania provided transfers is a big NO. Hope you didn't schedule your flights based on the 6 AM arrival as that is just the time the ship is scheduled be docked and before any customs inspection, luggage off loading and the like.

Shouldn't have scheduled for anything before noon to be safe. MIght be a good time now before your end of cruise is ruined by worry to see about a flight change even with the penalty. Once you are at the air port and not on your flight, no telling when you might get on a plane and what it might cost.

Anything is possible and surprised you have a domestic flight unless you change planes to get back to Ontario. Anyway, backing up from your flights departure time of 10:15, you should be at the airport at least an hour and a half early if not 2 hours depending on the day of the week which will also affect your drive to the airport so now we have 8:45 at the airport. Assume good traffic and take another 20 to 30 minutes means leaving the port by 8:15.

Just because the ship is scheduled to arrive at 6 AM doesn't mean it will. Would assume nobody would get off until 7:30 at the very earliest and that would be those carrying all of their luggage off the ship by themselves. If that is the case, you might just make your flight but, add at least another another 30 to 45 minutes if you are in the first group called and then you have to find your luggage and go thru immigration and customs. That puts you out looking for a taxi or your pre-ordered transportation by 8:30 to 9 AM when you should have been at the airport on a day without long lines.

Taking Oceania provided transfers is a big NO. Hope you didn't schedule your flights based on the 6 AM arrival as that is just the time the ship is scheduled be docked and before any customs inspection, luggage off loading and the like.

Shouldn't have scheduled for anything before noon to be safe. MIght be a good time now before your end of cruise is ruined by worry to see about a flight change even with the penalty. Once you are at the air port and not on your flight, no telling when you might get on a plane and what it might cost.

I agree with Dave. I would pay the "change penalty" and book a later flight. MIA is not a favorite airport of mine. Way too much walking and long security lines. Do not take O transfer in any way. Taxis are iffy and even with a pre booked private transport, I don't think you will make this flight.

Yes, guess we are cutting it too short. We are booked on a direct AA flight, leaving at 10:15AM and getting to RDU, which is home, at 12:15PM. If we change it, not only due we pay a steep penalty, but our best choice of flights is then leaving at 12 PM, connecting thru DGA, and arriving home at 5:30 PM. I think I'm inclined to leave it as is and if we miss the flight, then book a new one and hope our travel insurance will reimburse us. What do you all think?