Anyone Recently off Navigator out of Galveston?

RCL will book your transfer to Galveston pier on the day of sailing if you give them your airline air info. If you fly in the day "before", give them airline info for the "sailing day". They will then sell you the transfer. Have fun on your cruise!

Just off Navigator this morning, a glorious 14 day TA from Barcelona, Spain. We had a great crossing, a little rough for a few days but Captain handled it well. Ship is in great shape, needing a little facelift soon to come in January, 2014. She is beautiful despite a little worn carpet and older TV's. We had a great time and would be happy to try to answer any questions.

Was Robert Taggart on board as Hotel Director?

Rick and Deirdra

Thank you! What were the logistics of your travel plans (if you don't mind)? We're thinking about flying into HOU instead of IAH the day before and staying overnight in Galveston. I'm guessing its either a shuttle or rental car from Houston to Galveston?

You are looking at doing the same thing that I am thinking about doing for Navigator's May 2014 sailing. I'm in Chicago, so DEFINITELY will fly in a day in advance. Looking forward to the first reports out of Galveston as well!

We did the NYE cruise out of Galveston last year and had a great time. One note, it gets a large local crowd so some of the entertainment is switched up. IN other words if you hate country music you might feel overexposed. Not a biggies for us but a few people were surprised. Only complaint was they did not do a NYE deck party which we had a few years ago out of FLL. Weather gets a little cooler on return trip to G.

My family/friends enjoy a good deck party (especially at sailaway), so I sure hope that there's a DJ who can kick off a good time! The sailing that I'm looking at booking is in May 2014, to Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel. No offense to the Country/Western music lovers, but that's not a Country music type itinerary in my opinion...just sayin' ;)

So glad you had a great cruise! Since we'll be boarding her next sunday, I have a few questions.

I read somewhere there was a singing group on the ship that sounded just like the "Jersey Boys." Is that true? :D

We have reservations at Chops Grill and Portafino. Did you eat at either one of these speciality restaurants? Is there any dish that you would recommend?

Will there be a whole new staff of employees on the ship now that she's based in Galveston? Just curious. I heard from someone else that this crew was outstanding and it would be great if they were staying on the ship. :D

Thanks!

To a previous question, we had a balcony forward port and the rooms were nice but a little worn, needing carpeting and new TV's but we were comfortable for 14 days. Although we did not have the drink package, I believe frozen drinks are included. They had a Johnny Rockets but they do NOT service breakfast on our sailing like Oasis.

Regarding entertainment, since ours was a transatlantic, I think entertainment may be different but did not see any group resembling "Jersey Boys". We had almost nightly shows that were mostly great and saw most of them but like I said not sure if shows were different since we were coming from Spain.

We did not eat at Chops or Portofino for the first time since cruising so I can't recommend a dish however on previous cruises, the food was great. If they have the red velvet cake, GET iT!! Regarding food in general, I found that the Windjammer food was MUCH improved over previous cruises. The coffee was much better and they did not have that dreadful coffee whitener that I hate, they had cream for the coffee which is important to me. The variety for dinner was excellent, breakfast was pretty much the same every day, lunch was good. The dining room food was mostly excellent and I can't imagine anyone not finding something they like.

Regarding the staff, they were outstanding. Our stateroom attendant was fine just not the same exceptional attendant that we usually get, just the luck of the draw I guess. Nothing terrible just not outstanding like on other cruises we did. I did ask about the staff being all new since in a new port and a bartender told me that no, they do not change out staff. They do acquire new employees but as far as a whole new staff he said it would be impossible to operate smoothly if everyone was new and not used to the system. Hope this helps!

To a previous question, we had a balcony forward port and the rooms were nice but a little worn, needing carpeting and new TV's but we were comfortable for 14 days. Although we did not have the drink package, I believe frozen drinks are included. They had a Johnny Rockets but they do NOT service breakfast on our sailing like Oasis.

Regarding entertainment, since ours was a transatlantic, I think entertainment may be different but did not see any group resembling "Jersey Boys". We had almost nightly shows that were mostly great and saw most of them but like I said not sure if shows were different since we were coming from Spain.

We did not eat at Chops or Portofino for the first time since cruising so I can't recommend a dish however on previous cruises, the food was great. If they have the red velvet cake, GET iT!! Regarding food in general, I found that the Windjammer food was MUCH improved over previous cruises. The coffee was much better and they did not have that dreadful coffee whitener that I hate, they had cream for the coffee which is important to me. The variety for dinner was excellent, breakfast was pretty much the same every day, lunch was good. The dining room food was mostly excellent and I can't imagine anyone not finding something they like.

Regarding the staff, they were outstanding. Our stateroom attendant was fine just not the same exceptional attendant that we usually get, just the luck of the draw I guess. Nothing terrible just not outstanding like on other cruises we did. I did ask about the staff being all new since in a new port and a bartender told me that no, they do not change out staff. They do acquire new employees but as far as a whole new staff he said it would be impossible to operate smoothly if everyone was new and not used to the system. Hope this helps!

Thanks! :D

VERY happy to hear that! We'll be boarding her next sunday!!! We were on the Mariner last december. :D

Me and my group of 28 are boarding her Sunday as well. It's everything I can do to keep my rump in my chair at my desk at work right now. The case of vacationitis has kicked in hardcore. We'll be the group on day 1 in the blue Boxer Rescuers Unleashed shirts. :D:D:D

Me and my group of 28 are boarding her Sunday as well. It's everything I can do to keep my rump in my chair at my desk at work right now. The case of vacationitis has kicked in hardcore. We'll be the group on day 1 in the blue Boxer Rescuers Unleashed shirts. :D:D:D

Please report back if you do not mind!!

Love to hear the details when you return. Enjoy your sailing!

I'll be watching for you! :D

I'd like to know more about meeting the ship transfer at the airport. I've asked about this in the past and have never been able to get the details. In fact, several years ago, I was told this wasn't an option unless air was booked through the cruise line. Our children will fly into Houston from Dulles. Right now they are looking at Houstonyellowcab.com which runs $107 out of Hobby and $179 from Bush Int.

Do you know how much the ship transfers into Galveston run?

;)Just got off the Navigator Ta Nov. 24th. We bought a Rcl transfer from Galveston to hobby for $23.50 p.p. but it did go up to $32 p.p. while we were on the cruise. As far as arrivals to Houston and getting a transfer to the ship they have Rcl reps there (on the day of the cruise) that you can buy a transfer @ the airport and charged to your room.

Galveston is the worst for a rental car. Only Enterprise is left and they are closed on Sunday, so a drop-off on Sunday means an extra day charge. There still might be an Avis location at the Sears on the mainland that has a shuttle to the port for a fee.

We are flying into Houston on Saturday and booked transportation with Super Shuttle. We have a one way SUV to a hotel in Galveton for $157. I found a 10% off coupon on retail me not. We then booked a one way return from the ship to the airport for our return. The cost for 4 people was a total of $64 less than using the cruise line and you do not need to wait for a bus!

Jamie - Thank you for alerting me to potential transportation issues. We had booked transportation through the cruise line, but fly in the night before. After reading your post I followed up with RC and sure enough there was an issue. You saved me some MAJOR transportation headaches!

Jamie - Thank you for alerting me to potential transportation issues. We had booked transportation through the cruise line, but fly in the night before. After reading your post I followed up with RC and sure enough there was an issue. You saved me some MAJOR transportation headaches!

No problem. I know some have been able to use rc the next day just by showing up but I have also read where they were denied. I personally did not want to take the chance of being denied and I like to have things situated before my trip is started. I'm still watching for flights to drop because a 22 hr drive is long versus a 3 hr flight but the cost right now is way too high to fly. I'm keeping my toes crossed for cheaper flights. Have a great cruise and turkey day

Jamie

Google Galveston Shuttle service and see what turns up.

Also, I heard from friends of mine that just got off the ship there were quite a few postings on the community bulletin board with empty seats on privately arranged transport to the airport. Those are usually around $25 pp.

Tucker in Texas

Excuse my ignorance but what is the community bulletin board ? In case we so fly in. Thanks

Jamie

Several years ago we were on the MOS out of San Pedro (LA area) for a cruise to the Mexican Rivera. We drove to LA staying overnight in Las Cruces both way and on the outward trip also stayed in Palm Springs since we wanted to visit there. It is a long trip but driving across the desert there is not a lot of traffic and a major highway (I-10) worked out well.

IAH is about 70 miles from the ship port while HOU is only 40 miles or so. The freeway that goes to the island crossing the only bridge between Houston and Galveston can get very congested to the point you are in very slow (~10 mph) traffic particularly if there has been a wreck or more often they are working on the freeway and have lanes closed. So plan ahead!

We of course drive to the port which is around 275 miles all on freeway.

Expect a lot of congestion around the cruise port as two ships will be letting pax debark and new ones embark. There isn't a lot of room for cars and buses.

The ship will be heavily loaded with Texans and Okies with some others thrown in. The ship will take on a Texan theme. Most of us wear jeans, some western boots and some western hats. Look for a C&W night, grits for breakfast, etc., and yes, some of our fellow Texans can brag a lot.

Edited by satxdiver

We have cruised NOS many times including transAtlantic repositioning cruise from Galveston to Europe. LOVE this ship!! On one of the cruises, we mentioned casually to our room steward that it was our wedding anniversary. We returned from dinner to a fabulously decorated room with a hand-made personal card signed by our room staff.

We finally made it to Diamond status and the perks at this level are great. A complimentary happy hour (with fantastic hors d'oeuvres) in private lounge is just one of the perks.

If you drive to Galveston, just one overnight stay at the Victorian Condo-Hotel on the seawall will allow you to leave your car on their premises for the length of the cruise and provide free shuttle service to/from port. But call first to secure.

Leaving Sunday, Dec. 1 for a 7-day western Caribbean itinerary.