Panama Canal Semi Live from Zuiderdam 29 Nov through 9 December 2013

IRL_Joanie

Tried to post this yesterday, but decided sleep was a better idea. *Grin*

Day 1

Stress time for the HAL Port Reps and passengers both disembarking

and embarking, oops almost forgot the turn arounds, otherwise

known as those lucky and/or smart enough to be doing back to

back (B2B) Cruises on my favorite shipo, Zuiderdam!!

Zuiderdam is the oldest Vista Class ship... Eh... Forget the history

lesson, if you want to see/read the history of this ship, you can

easily find it on either HAL's Official Web site or a sticky here

on the CC Boards on the HAL Boards Main Page.

So the stress time I mentioned goes like this.....

Zuiderdam and 2 Princess cruise ships pull into Port Everglades to

disembark and embark passengers, normal procedure right?? NOT!!!

Seems that the entire Computer System for Customs and Border

Patrol has gone down around the entire US of A (me thinks

immediately of "Hackers". By 10 am, HAL is having to disembark

passengers via the old "By Hand" system and using a printed

manifest and ......it was a mad house to say the least.

There are always those who post to the HAL Boards asking, "Can

I make a flight at such and such time?" My answer is DO NOT

TRY it because something like this could possibly happen to your

ship........But then again, if you can afford to buy Air Line tickets

again, on the spot, and at a higher than you originally paid... Go for

it:)

The Port/HAL Shore Reps were awesome, though harried they still

we, the newly embarking passengers crossing the Jetway (should

that not be called a Ship Way *Grin*) at the strike of 12 noon.

I immediately went to our stateroom and was meet with a nice

surprise, AC working quite well and toilet flushing at the slightest

touch. Beth and Brett are in 6158, an inside across the hall from

us, and while Brett finds the room temp to be to warm (he

likes the temp to be set to 65 degrees, Beth found it way to cold.

Beth likes the temp set to 75 degrees.

Went to the Neptune Lounge, arranged appetizers for 4 people to be

delivered at 3 each day, Pinnacle Grill reservations for the 1st night

at 6:30 for us and our good friends Beth and Brett, Hubby, Beth

and Brett went to the Mariner Embarkation lunch, I grabbed a plate

of fries from the Terrace Grill, then we all met back up in our

stateroom back to wait for the Muster Drill.

While sitting and vidsiting on our verandah, we were joined by a couple

from Cruise Critic, whose stateroom is closer to the mid ship elevators

and they reported the temps were perfect for them.

I wecould get a dspot nt to the Muster Drill early to make sure that

you did not hear my stateroom and/or name called as not be)

Muster Drill was a ZOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm serious. I have been on enough

cruises with HAL to average out the age of the passengers being about

55-60.........NOT this cruise......There are a lot of passengrers that

I swear have to be in their late 80's and 90's...

Many of the passengers are non English Understanding, I say this

because about 1/3 (yes one third) of them either dragged their life

vests to the drill and about 20-30 had their life vests on..... IF

HALF of the passengers could not hear the directions or understand

them, it worries me what might happen in the case of a real

emergency............

Muster Drill took a bit longer than normal, but with all the stragglers

and those who did not know what Life Boat to go to, etc....I think

you get the picture..........

After the drill went back to our room for the Sail Away (Thanks all

who posted it!!! Hubby brought it up to the Lido at Lunch today to

show us:) Sat out until a little after 6 and hubby, Brett and Beth

got ready for dinner. I did not make dinner last night due to

sea sickness (I NEVER get sea sick, but I did last night.)

2nd Day or....The joys of just relaxing and vegitating

Woke a little before 4 am freezing. Hubby apparently decided to steal

all of the comforter because he was cold (told ya the AC worked) and

left me to freeze my backside off..... I WILL get even...Hehehehe,

Joanie can be evil...........

Anyway at 6:30 this morning it was pouring rain in sheets and

lightning not to far off. I did not think we'd make Half Moon Cay due

to the storminess, but 7:30 the sun started to show and by the time

we got to to Cay, joining Nieuw Amsterdam, it was sunny and HOT!!

I do not get off the ship at HMC so cannot tell you anything about

what it is like or how things now look, what I can tell you is that it was

definitely a good day to be there.

Well, that's it for me for the last 2 days. Hubby, Crew News will

be posting his findings, thoughts and observations, probably later

this evening.

For those of you who were worried about the Air Conditioning, QUIT

worrying, it not only works, but it works beautifully!! I've talked to

Cruise Critic members who are generally lurkers that were worried

after all the reports and they also report not one problem with either

AC or Toilets not working or having delayed flushing.

I've even had one lady who is on her 1st HAL cruise and was worried

because of the reports about probems but also because she was able

to book one of the coveted Deck 5 VA's just a week ago. She thought

that the coveted aft VA's still being available might have lent some

redence to those reports on CC, but told me today when she came to

visit, that she was glad that she ignored the reports and listened when

I said not to cancel that I was in one of those reported cabins and

I was not worried.

As I have stated from the beginning, it is not the AC problem it is a

problem with every individual. We regulate our body temps and the

temp I can deal with may be higher than youtrs or lower. Every person

is different. If you are sweltering at a room temp of 72, because

you are used to 65-68 or so at home, do not blame the ship, It is

NOT the SHIP ir is YOU!!

This mornin g while breakfasting at the Lido, another CC couple asked me to pass on their findings regarding their deck Aft Port side stateroom findings.

Per Gunner, Pat and Eddie, his wife, AC and Toilets could not work any better. Temps are perfect for them and toilets flush as soon as they are pushed. Pat wanted me to use their names and to say that if you doubt my reports, he will also report when he gets back home.

See ya in a couple of days when I report again. From just south of Cuba...........

Tomorrow Aruba!!

Just want to apologize for the spelling errors and some of the words making no sense. The notepad I wrote the review in saved in the wrong places. Hope you can makes sense of a couple sentences.

Sun and my verandah callinh my name:)

Joanie

Thanks for the reports. I am glad to hear that it is passengers' perceptions rather than mechanical problems that account for the air conditioning complaints.

Edited by whogo
edited

Thank you for the info on the Zuiderdam. As I mentioned on another thread, we are seriously considering the same itinerary for next fall and inviting one maybe two other couples who have never cruised HAL before. I am having second thoughts because of all the negative reviews. Your thread is helping to restore my confidence.

FYI, I was at Half Moon Cay on November 12 for my fourth visit. This was the first time I went as part of a Carnival cruise as opposed to HAL. The sand was soft and silky as always, the water was clear and that incredible turquoise color. I was not too excited about the pirate ship bar but they didn't ask my opinion on that one.

I have to bring it up again. The only negative to HMC is the tender. Having just been to DCL private island 6 months earlier, being able to dock at the island really makes a huge difference in the whole experience. Just sayin':)

As I have stated from the beginning, it is not the AC problem it is a

problem with every individual. We regulate our body temps and the

temp I can deal with may be higher than youtrs or lower. Every person

is different. If you are sweltering at a room temp of 72, because

you are used to 65-68 or so at home, do not blame the ship, It is

NOT the SHIP ir is YOU!!

I am truly glad that your AC and that of those pax you have checked with is working so well. However, I don't see how you can make such a blanket statement as that above. Are you really saying all the past and recent complaints of hot sweltering cabins are all the perception of those pax due to their regulated body temps and not any malfunctioning of the Z's AC system? Really? What about those who reported little or no AC coming out of the vents? Their imagination? I'll be anxious to hear what these past pax who say they were sweltering and sweating in their cabins have to say about your theory their body temp is regulated to feel hot at 72 and it's their problem. Strange so many of these people were located in cabins in the same aft areas of the ship, too.

Again, I'm glad the cold air is now blasting the aft cabins, but to deny there has been an operating problem and that the pax on past cruises only 'felt' hot but the AC really worked fine is a little much.

I am really confused. arn't there a lot of cabins on this ship?

How can 1 person say everything is ok if u didn't talk to everyone in all the cabins.

I thought u were going to post a list with all the cabins that had problems.

What did the officers say when u asked them?

Thnx.

I am really confused. arn't there a lot of cabins on this ship?

How can 1 person say everything is ok if u didn't talk to everyone in all the cabins.

I thought u were going to post a list with all the cabins that had problems.

What did the officers say when u asked them?

Thnx.

I NEVER said I would do such a task..... Maybe you read it somewhere else, but not from me.

Anyway I can ssay from firxst hand experience and ftrom what other CC members and passengers are telling me on our cruise.

If you wish to question, be my guest. We get back on 9 December and you can ask them how they had AC and previous cruises did not. We can only report accurately, what we experience with the AC and toilets. For what it is eworth, the CC members and passengers that we've talked with were very worried because most of us are on one of the 3 decks aft that was reported as having no AC at all. I can say that none of us have that problem:)

Tonight is our 1st Formal Night and Friday is Le Cirque (or whatever it is called)

Off to see what questions others may have posted, but first wanted to answer, clear up the confusion.

Joanie

It's true, you can only accurately report back on your own cabin which is appreciated (hearsay from others is just that, but they can report likewise). However, you most definitely did say you would be checking and getting facts from officers. Looks like that post has disappeared but I haven't looked that hard - but many commented on it.

Hubby wants me to hurry this off so he can get on and post:)

I wanted thank everyone for everything!! All the snap shots and Yonnie, thank Goodness it was only a bulb on the wreath......

Megandab and others boarding after we get off, you will have a blast!!

Zuiderdam is just under minimum Passenger Capacity. What that means is that every stateroom has at least 1 passenger in it. What it means to me is that NO WHERE is itt crowded. The Lido always has plenty of tables available and it almost feels like we are on a Yacht. Seriously!! I do noyt know what HMC was like paseenger wise, but the Zuiderdam feels wonderful and no waiting for anything. Love it!!

I'll post back in a couple of days.

STARTWIN: Say what you will, I know you are a nice lady and just kidding around. You will love the ship when you get back on her and I look forward to cruising with you, sapper1 and others on her April 2015:)

And for the record, yes I did say that I would talk to some of the officers about the AC and or plumbing, but who needs to do that when my fellow CC members and other passengers that we've met can tell me instead. Better from those in the staterooms than those paid to say what their home office wants them to say:) Have a nice dayr:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It's true, you can only accurately report back on your own cabin which is appreciated (hearsay from others is just that, but they can report likewise). However, you most definitely did say you would be checking and getting facts from officers. Looks like that post has disappeared but I haven't looked that hard - but many commented on it.

Joanie's previous post on her intended investigation of AC problems is down a few pages, but still there:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hubby and I will be able to scope out if all of the reported AC Problems are still prevalent as reported. And I will try to get a listing of the staterooms affected (if there are any). Not saying there are not, nor saying they are. Just going full strength in a nd taking to the Officers I know who will have the answers for me

Joanie

I NEVER said I would do such a task..... Maybe you read it somewhere else, but not from me.

Anyway I can ssay from firxst hand experience and ftrom what other CC members and passengers are telling me on our cruise.

If you wish to question, be my guest. We get back on 9 December and you can ask them how they had AC and previous cruises did not. We can only report accurately, what we experience with the AC and toilets. For what it is eworth, the CC members and passengers that we've talked with were very worried because most of us are on one of the 3 decks aft that was reported as having no AC at all. I can say that none of us have that problem:)

Tonight is our 1st Formal Night and Friday is Le Cirque (or whatever it is called)

Off to see what questions others may have posted, but first wanted to answer, clear up the confusion.

Joanie

I am in 5184, aft facing, fully covered extended balcony. Rain or shine, I am covered. It is a great room and very cold. The first night I had to increase the temp. because I was chilled to the bone. I am from Austin, TX. and A/C is a way of life. Hamam, the steward is very nice and knows my name. There are not many photos of this cabin out there, so I took some. For a Panama Canal cruise, it is a great room. It as close to center lock as you can get and there is only one balcony below. You can avoid it in your photos.

I met Joanie and her husband yesterday. We had a very pleasant talk and I learned much HAL lore. My flight left Dallas 2 hours late and the 7 of us on that plane did not board the ship until 4:20pm. Joanie told me we were lucky because the disembarkation had to be done by hand, so they were late with embarkation anyway. I am thinking I will come day early next time. That was too stressful.

I can't recommend this highly enough. GO SEE THE BB KING BLUES CLUB. They are FABULOUS!!! They do 3 shows at 9, 10 and 11. They sing R & B, some blues and a little pop. The musicians are no joke. This is a complete band with 2 lead singers, keyboards/real organ, drums, bass, lead, trumpet and sax. It is so refreshing to listen to raw live music. DON"T MISS IT!!!

Last but not least, HAL takes care of their passengers. I am thinking there were about 14-16 folks on my plane that were sailing on Princess, which also held their ship. We were transported on a 55 passenger bus. They were transported in a basic passenger van like sardines.

I am in 5184, aft facing, fully covered extended balcony. Rain or shine, I am covered. It is a great room and very cold. The first night I had to increase the temp. because I was chilled to the bone. I am from Austin, TX. and A/C is a way of life. Hamam, the steward is very nice and knows my name. There are not many photos of this cabin out there, so I took some. For a Panama Canal cruise, it is a great room. It as close to center lock as you can get and there is only one balcony below. You can avoid it in your photos.

I met Joanie and her husband yesterday. We had a very pleasant talk and I learned much HAL lore. My flight left Dallas 2 hours late and the 7 of us on that plane did not board the ship until 4:20pm. Joanie told me we were lucky because the disembarkation had to be done by hand, so they were late with embarkation anyway. I am thinking I will come day early next time. That was too stressful.

I can't recommend this highly enough. GO SEE THE BB KING BLUES CLUB. They are FABULOUS!!! They do 3 shows at 9, 10 and 11. They sing R & B, some blues and a little pop. The musicians are no joke. This is a complete band with 2 lead singers, keyboards/real organ, drums, bass, lead, trumpet and sax. It is so refreshing to listen to raw live music. DON"T MISS IT!!!

Last but not least, HAL takes care of their passengers. I am thinking there were about 14-16 folks on my plane that were sailing on Princess, which also held their ship. We were transported on a 55 passenger bus. They were transported in a basic passenger van like sardines.

Thanks for your report. Someone on here is collecting numbers of "good" and "bad" cabins, so it will help them. I've heard great things about the BB King Blues Club too. Glad HAL is treating you well - the Zuiderdam (in spite of her mechanical issues) is a great ship.

Edited by startwin

<snip>

STARTWIN: Say what you will, I know you are a nice lady and just kidding around. You will love the ship when you get back on her and I look forward to cruising with you, sapper1 and others on her April 2015:)

Joanie

I was most recently on the Zuiderdam in September - I don't believe she has had a dry dock since then. Also I'm confused - I have no plan to sail the Zuiderdam in April 2015 - we're on her next April, 2014, and probably the Westerdam the following year.

Re: statement by Joanie in her review from ship

"As I have stated from the beginning, it is not the AC problem it is a

problem with every individual"

I think not. I was on the Panama Canal 11/8 cruise when there were was the problem of NO, not poorly working, ac, in many aft staterooms, on multiple decks. I met many of these people as tablemates or just through causal conversation at different venues on board. They were all age brackets from, 45 to 80, and had careers from farmers, to doctors, lawyers, and everything in between. Am I to think that these people were all so stupid, so as not to know if they had working ac or not in their rooms ?

Again, to keep it fair, we were not in one of the affected rooms, and had an excellent cruise, but that does not diminish the discomfort of those who were, and they certainly do not deserve the insinuation that they were incapable of determining their own comfort, or in the case. discomfort level.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

Thanks for the reports. I am glad to hear that it is passengers' perceptions rather than mechanical problems that account for the air conditioning complaints.

Is it nothing more than this "passenger's perception" that all is well? I'm pretty sure that if conditions on your vacation turned into 10 days of sweltering cabin temps like many I spoke with on the 11/8 Panama Canal trip, you would not just look in the mirror and tell yourself that you were just having bad "passenger perception".